Why is there such a fuss about Ganguly and Tendulkar rested?

King

I can't quite understand really. They have been rested (dropped if you want it to sound a bit harsh) for Bangladesh tour for heaven's sake. It is not like they are left out of a World Cup squad. Every player goes through this whether you like it or not. Guys like Rahul Dravid, Anil Kumble (both in tests and ODIs) have also been rested/dropped before. That doesn't mean they were useless :shrug: If you look around you will see most of the top players have been rested/dropped. Even guys like Hayden have been rested/dropped by Australia. Do you guys reckon Tendulkar being rested/dropped is an insult by any chance? I know Cairnsy or Astle is no Tendulkar but were invaluable for NZ but they were also rested/dropped for couple of series' They only came back stronger and did their best when they made the come back. Similarly with Inzi, after he was dropped for bad performance he made a fantastic come back after his knock against Bangladesh. The next two years he was in red hot form. Give Tendulkar, Ganguly and Sehwag a chance to come back and sure they will. The rest will only work in their favour IMO. This provides the much needed fillip for these old timers and I think when they come back they will come back stronger. I suppose they will embark on yet another successful journey when they come back. These guys were once fierce competitors and still have a lot of fire in their belly. Now sit back and enjoy their come back trial.

Re: Why is there such a fuss about Ganguly and Tendulkar rested? Vengsarkar keen on rotation policy Cricinfo staff April 22, 2007 Dilip Vengsarkar, the former Indian captain who's currently heading the selection committee, has clarified the selectors' decision to adopt a rotation policy from now on. Vengsarkar reiterated that Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly hadn't been dropped for the forthcoming Bangladesh tour and added that even Rahul Dravid, the Indian captain, would be rested at some stage in the next few months. "How can we think of dropping Sachin or Sourav? They are fantastic players with fantastic records and there is no question of them being dropped," Vengsarkar told Hindustan Times. "We have 45 one-dayers and 15 Tests over the next year, so we decided to prioritise tours for different players and have accordingly rested Sachin and Sourav for this one. If this [the Bangladesh tour] had been Australia or England, they would not have been rested." So would Dravid also be rested? "Yes, he will be, everyone will be rested at some stage. It is not humanly possible for a player to play so many matches in a year; we will have to rest different people for various games." As far as games played go, both Dravid (31 games) and Virender Sehwag (27) had played more ODIs last year than Tendulkar (22) and Ganguly (10). Vengsarkar said he had spoken to both Tendulkar and Ganguly and explained the situation to them. "I told them that everyone would be rested at some stage and if they were not rested now, they would be later. So it would be better if they were rested now so we could look at some others in Bangladesh and they could be available for the tougher tours. They understood and agreed". He said it was believed that this was the best time to rest two of India's "best players", just so a "few domestic performers could be tested" in international cricket. "It is Bangladesh, not Australia or England, this is the best time we could try out someone new like Manoj Tiwary or Piyush Chawla, or see how someone else who has played before in international cricket does again." >>>> Because these two have been made into demigods ....so much so that the chief selector has to go around justifying their resting.No one has the gall to touch them...and now that they have been rested...mr. vengsarkar is scared of its fallout in his zone...he has to keep his back cushioned for when the fall for him comes.

Re: Why is there such a fuss about Ganguly and Tendulkar rested?

Why is there such a fuss about Ganguly and Tendulkar rested?
Because many media members and most of the TV channells are hell bent on proving that it is over for them!! They've gone as far as saying that Ganguly's cricket career is over, even though he has been chosen in the test team!!! :shrug: Among the forummers, few are taking it as a punishment for questioning Greg and on behalf of what Greg reported. While for me, it is non issue, because I wanted them dropped from the ODI side anyway!!

Re: Why is there such a fuss about Ganguly and Tendulkar rested? Only fuss is among the likes of Anand Vasu. They will miss a week of cricket... nothing more nothing less... What I worry though a bit about is that they will be asked to play the Test match without any match practice at all in Bangladeshi conditions... some of the others will have at least played the ODIs... But they and VVS Laxman too...should be experienced enough to handle it....

Re: Why is there such a fuss about Ganguly and Tendulkar rested? i personally dont like "rested" instead of "dropped".. they were suppose to be playing super8 games and possibly semi-finals.. but no they are at home already resting soo why they need rest'?? BCCI think we are morons buying this crap.. just say they are dropped and move on.. BTW what would have happened if only ganguly asked to rest from ODIs and not SRT?? protest in kolkatta possibly??

Re: Why is there such a fuss about Ganguly and Tendulkar rested? fck the selectors, those little pansies rested tendulkar from ODI's, he should have been rested in tests. Punter is catching up in odi's, come on sachin hit that 20k runs fast!!

Re: Why is there such a fuss about Ganguly and Tendulkar rested? Some thickheaded people dont seem to see the facts... Sachin and Sourav dont have a huge time ahead of them in ODIs...neither does Dravid btw...but the cant "Rest" him can they? Kumble has already hung up his boots... The selectors know there are 45 ODIs to be played in the next 12 months and 15 Tests...so this Bangladesh tour is the ideal time to blood a few youngsters... and see what they do.. Btw, I am much more upset they went back to Mongia than that they didn't pick Sachin and Sourav. I would have picked Rohit Sharma instead of Mongia... Also pulling RP Singh out of English County cricket to be in the squad...but maybe not in the side is just DAFT... But this shows the effects of BCCI working committee interference in selection matters...a VERY BAD precedent...

Re: Why is there such a fuss about Ganguly and Tendulkar rested? well what i feel is selectorz intentionz were to drop tendulkar and Gang, but just didnt have gutz to say they were dropped hence they said they are rested.. if they really wanted to rest them, then they would also have asked them to not to play the ongoing 2020 ranji trmnt too and do some rest instead...