The great Jayasuriya fails again

kabira

Re: The great Jayasuriya fails again

Only Indian cricketers are subjected to such scrutiny. Other cricketers(SJ' date='BCL etc) can choke 2 million times and yet be hailed by the masses. :lol:[/quote'] Well the reasons are obvious. I want SL to win today, but won't be gutted if they lose. I just saw Jayasuriya fail and it didn't make an iota of diff emotionally to me. It would have been totally different if it were Sehwag or SRT.

Re: The great Jayasuriya fails again No one considers SJ as a "God" - he has always been a hit or miss player. With "godly" adulation comes high expectations like in the case of some Indian players. So when they fail the disappointment/consequences are much more serious :shrug:

Re: The great Jayasuriya fails again ^Exactly and when Jayasuriya was dropped for his bad performance against India, i didnt see any SL fans or former players make a big deal out of it. SJ too took it his stride and came back with a bang

No one considers SJ as a "God" - he has always been a hit or miss player. With "godly" adulation comes high expectations like in the case of some Indian players. So when they fail the disappointment/consequences are much more serious :shrug:
Hit and miss player? :doh::doh: The old chap has 44 MOM in LOI, second only to Tendulkar, I suppose it is fair to say that you are being quite a miser in giving credit where its due. Jayasurya has been a fantastic batsman for Sri Lanka. Someone who is given a lot of respect by the other teams, and quite rightfully so. A large part in Sri Lanka's success in limited over format is due to Jayasurya. Which other opener has carried the baton for SL since 1996? Jayasurya has a role and does it to perfection. And he has been quite phenomenal in last year or so. 42 LOI 1722 runs@46 with 7 centuries. That when most people had written him off. In a way players like Jayasurya are like Shaquille O Neil in basketball. They are so larger than life than opponents sometimes focus too much on them. DOnt be surprised how NZ have all talked about Jayasurya here and in the end Tharanga is left open to score a good innings. xxxx

No one considers SJ as a "God" - he has always been a hit or miss player. With "godly" adulation comes high expectations like in the case of some Indian players. So when they fail the disappointment/consequences are much more serious :shrug:
Hit and miss player? :doh::doh: The old chap has 44 MOM in LOI, second only to Tendulkar, I suppose it is fair to say that you are being quite a miser in giving credit where its due. Jayasurya has been a fantastic batsman for Sri Lanka. Someone who is given a lot of respect by the other teams, and quite rightfully so. A large part in Sri Lanka's success in limited over format is due to Jayasurya. Which other opener has carried the baton for SL since 1996? Jayasurya has a role and does it to perfection. And he has been quite phenomenal in last year or so. 42 LOI 1722 runs@46 with 7 centuries. That when most people had written him off. In a way players like Jayasurya are like Shaquille O Neil in basketball. They are so larger than life than opponents sometimes focus too much on them. DOnt be surprised how NZ have all talked about Jayasurya here and in the end Tharanga is left open to score a good innings. xxxx
I mean no disrespect to SJ. He has been a very good player for SL over the last decade and his record speaks for itself. But at the same time, to me he seems more of an entertainer, a flasher rather than a solid/classical mould batsmen like A Desilva or a Jayawardene. He has a very unconvention style like his angled bat, short arm jabs etc. So I get a feeling that luck plays a very big role in his innings and that's what I meant by a hit or miss - maybe it didnt come out all that well. But all credit to him that he has succeeded more times than not. All in all a good batsmen but not in the same "godly" league as a SRT or a BCL. So when the gods croak in crucial matches the psychological impact/disappointment is much more profound!! As far as me being a miser giving credit, I have my own opinion about each player and I can live with the fact that you dont agree with it :shrug: