Did Vettori have 3 men behind backward point

I didn't watch their batting. I am hearing vettori plugged the favorite area (third man) of Yousuf and co with 3 fielders. Wow.. He learnt his lesson well from the match against India. Dhoni said "i have never seen a match there were so many runs went to the third man". Similarly last year or before after losing to Pakistan he said "You can't have fielder there" referring to the way Younis cowlash everything to cow corner where presence of a fielder wouldn't have hurt him. It is high time Dhoni develops his ability to place fielding according to the plan of batsman like Vettori did today. I am not saying Vettori is a genius. He has also made stupid mistakes. But he did his basics right today i reckon.

Dhoni is a streetsmart and probably more smarter than any other captain in this era... It was stupidity of Ishant and Bhajji to give width to the batsmen... You could see face of Dhoni every time batsmen cut bowlers to four.. if you look the NZland bowling, they didnt give ANY width to the batsmen...

Dhoni is a streetsmart and probably more smarter than any other captain in this era... It was stupidity of Ishant and Bhajji to give width to the batsmen... You could see face of Dhoni every time batsmen cut bowlers to four.. if you look the NZland bowling' date=' they didnt give ANY width to the batsmen...[/quote'] That is not the point. If your bowlers don't listen to you you either talk to them or provide cover for their bad balls. No point in sulking about it after the match is over.

I think there was a deliberate attempt on the part of Yousuf and other Pakistan batsmen to play towards third man. They sometime took it even from the off stump line. Vettori inspite of their disciplined bowling decided to plug the gap. Runs dried up. They were forced to play infront.

I think there was a deliberate attempt on the part of Yousuf and other Pakistan batsmen to play towards third man. They sometime took it even from the off stump line. Vettori inspite of their disciplined bowling decided to plug the gap. Runs dried up. They were forced to play infront.
whats so difficult in playing an offstump line ball to 3rd man? or are you referring to leg stump line? :doh:
whats so difficult in playing an offstump line ball to 3rd man? or are you referring to leg stump line? :doh:
Point is not about difficulty. Point is about the explanation for Dhoni's error. They didn't score runs only off short and wide deliveries as some of us believe. They scored runs in that region even from the stumps.
Point is not about difficulty. Point is about the explanation for Dhoni's error. They didn't score runs only off short and wide deliveries as some of us believe. They scored runs in that region even from the stumps.
okay point taken. dhoni has ben making the mistake of not plugging the gaps so often these days.. sometimes i feel he should stay in mid off / mid on positions, where he is constantly talking to bowlers. being wicket keeper is not helping matters. strange it may sound - dhoni should probably give the wicket keeping duties to someone else and concentrate on his batting and sharpening his leadership skills..