'We're expecting too much from Ishant' - Prasad

Venkatesh Prasad, India's bowling coach, has said it is unfair to expect too much from fast bowler Ishant Sharma while he remains relatively new to the international scene. Ishant burst into prominence with a memorable Test series in Australia in 2007-08 but has struggled to find his lengths in one-day cricket in the last year. He averaged 31.48 and picked up 27 wickets in his first 20 ODIs. In 13 games in 2009, he has picked up 19 wickets at 31.42. The economy rate, though, has shot up from 5.34 to 6.19. "People are expecting too much too early," Prasad told the Daily News & Analysis. "To become one of the best, you need about 8000 to 10,000 hours of practice in your career. That amount of practice will mean eight to 10 years. In tennis someone who is good at 21 would have started playing at 11. "Usually we spot talent in cricket at 19 and by then that cricketer would have played for only three to four years. Ishant is an exciting talent but he is just 21. I started playing for India when I was 24. When you have played five years of domestic cricket you are more mature. We shouldn't judge Ishant too early. We need to give him a lot of time. We expect too much from somebody with too little international experience. We are expecting too much from those who are just 20-21." Prasad said Ishant's drop in form could be because of a lack in confidence. "We go gaga and when someone is doing well and then when he has a bad patch we say he has lost this and lost that. We also need to open our eyes to the fact that everything favours the batsmen these days. There has been too much pressure on him and expectations from every quarter." Former India fast bowler Javagal Srinath also said the criticisms could hurt Ishant's confidence but dismissed the idea that he had to cut down his one-day load to improve. Zaheer Khan's absence due to injury has weakened India's pace attack but Prasad said this was an opportunity for the other bowlers to step up. "Ashish Nehra has been impressive in his comeback. What has helped him is his domestic experience. The others like RP Singh, Ishant and Munaf. I think they have all got what it takes to win matches." Some experts have commented on the drop in pace of young Indian fast bowlers after a season but Prasad said he had not advised his charges to do so. "There was never a single moment in my two-and-a-half years with the Indian team when I told them to drop pace. I tell them to be consistent. If there is some sort of a technical flaw in their performance that is where I come in and I handle the technical part." ______________________________________ from cricinfo http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/429351.html

But L Siva pointed out couple of technical flaws in his action also pointed out a flaw in Sree's action. How come Prasad couldn't fix that? And also his point about "everything favors batsmen" will be viewed as an attempt to weasle out of real issues like death bowling, bowling to field. Oh well.. sorry i forgot. his job is not to fix those things. His presence is just to correct "technical problems". Wonder who is addressing the other issues. Having read a book of Dennis Lillee and read interview of Troy Cooley i have to say Prasad is way too under-qualified for this job. I also think Indian spinners need some fine tuning.

But L Siva pointed out couple of technical flaws in his action also pointed out a flaw in Sree's action. How come Prasad couldn't fix that?
These are lame excuses frm Prasad !! After ruining Ishant he is trying to calm the storm!! He needs a hard kick at his back and needs to be thrown out!!
But L Siva pointed out couple of technical flaws in his action also pointed out a flaw in Sree's action. How come Prasad couldn't fix that? And also his point about "everything favors batsmen" will be viewed as an attempt to weasle out of real issues like death bowling' date=' bowling to field. Oh well.. sorry i forgot. his job is not to fix those things. His presence is just to correct "technical problems". Wonder who is addressing the other issues. Having read a book of Dennis Lillee and read interview of Troy Cooley i have to say Prasad is way too under-qualified for this job. I also think Indian spinners need some fine tuning.[/quote'] l.s sivaramakrisnan is a joker:finger:,he does not know a thing about fast bowling he himself was saying he learnt from the nca coaches.i remeber in the australian test series he was pointing out flaws in aussie batsman techniques and ian chappel laughed it off.
l.s sivaramakrisnan is a joker:finger:,he does not know a thing about fast bowling he himself was saying he learnt from the nca coaches.i remeber in the australian test series he was pointing out flaws in aussie batsman techniques and ian chappel laughed it off.
Yes he is a joker but its not a joke [Aussie batsman having technical flaws]!! Ian Chappal is an arrogant SOB!![Mostly all aussies are]:winky: They cant accept the fact their dominance over world cricket is over!!:winky:
But L Siva pointed out couple of technical flaws in his action also pointed out a flaw in Sree's action. How come Prasad couldn't fix that? And also his point about "everything favors batsmen" will be viewed as an attempt to weasle out of real issues like death bowling' date= bowling to field. Oh well.. sorry i forgot. his job is not to fix those things. His presence is just to correct "technical problems". Wonder who is addressing the other issues. Having read a book of Dennis Lillee and read interview of Troy Cooley i have to say Prasad is way too under-qualified for this job. I also think Indian spinners need some fine tuning.
other than zaheer not one of our pace bowlers try to bowl a lot of yorkers in the death. have to say that pakistani bowlers are really good in that aspect of death bowling.
l.s sivaramakrisnan is a joker:finger:,he does not know a thing about fast bowling he himself was saying he learnt from the nca coaches.i remeber in the australian test series he was pointing out flaws in aussie batsman techniques and ian chappel laughed it off.
Ian chappell is a bigger joker. This place is not enough to post all his "mind reading" of batsmen. Wasn't he the one who stated "Mirror mirror....". L Siva is definitely an astute cricketer. Even you and i can spot flaws in a bowlers action. We don't have to be fast bowlers.

I pity those who question Prasad or matter of fact most of the bowling coaches. There is very little they could do when things aren't going right. No one is dumb enough to not spot the technical flaw and rectify it. If the technical flaws were that easy to fix, we'd have players with the perfect technical abilities in the cricketing circles. Everything takes time to fix it and I am sure Ishant will come good BUT he needs to be given a break and sent off to domestic circuit. Maybe he can pick up a county contract and try bowling where he can get some assistance of the pitch and weather conditions. I don't think any Indian bowler can fix his fortunes on a pitch where Jaffer manages to score at a SR of more than 100. This is where Irfan is missing the trick, he should have joined some county clubs to get into the fray. He is not going to go anywhere if he continues to stick to Indian domestic games. He might come into the playing XI but will be there only to be dropped because he would not have fixed the flaws he carried in Indian domestic circuit. ...And to those who gave a bit of stick to Prasad for 'forcing' IS to cut down his pace should read the red colored quote and stop cooking their own stories. Bowlers tend to cut down their pace when things are not going their way to see if they can extract some air movement or at least aim for line and length. Munaf is a fine example of this. He tends to bowl at 120-130 when he is very fresh into his spell and then picks up his speed by 10-20kmph once he thinks he is settled down. He is very lethal with the older ball as he is able to extract reverse swing. I will say again, India needs to bring back Sreesanth + Agarkar and RPS/IS should be given a break and ask them to regain their form before selecting them.

venky is not the right man... we need people who instill aggressive attitude in your bowlers look at pak and aamer he charges in and lets it rip even if he gets hammered and has an aggressive attitude to boot (note: i dont mean sreesanths lunatic behaviour but a general aggro)

Let him develop, but outside the national team for God's sakes. Rewind to the match vs West Indies in T20 WC, the loss put us out of the next qualifying stage. Was a close match until Ishant was given the ball in the death overs. Dhoni thanks him by kicking Irfan out the next game and guaranteeing Ishant a spot in all matches (and then we lost vs England and vs South Africa) and kicking until the last match of Champs Trophy. Freakin' NEHRA saved our neck by getting early wickets in all games in Champs Trophy and a Man of the Man award in the tri series in Sri Lanka. Ishant has sucked for a long time, our bowling cannot be sacrificed anymore, he can develop his bowling all he wants in domestic/IPL and make a comeback by WC 2011.

BB isnt it prasad's responsibility to teach our fast bowlers how to bowl in odis and t20?is he just a test match coach?.none of our fast bowlers can bowl a yorker,hell they dont even attempt a yorker.Ishant tries to bowl a change of pace but is picked immediately and belted out of the ground.why isnt prasad teaching his favorite cutters?.why are our fast bowlers so poor in maintaining a simple line and length and not bowl attrocious gimme balls every over to relieve the pressure.unless our pacers wise up we are not going to win major tournament again.our batting is going to fail once or twice in tournaments and our bowlers just cant back them up.

We're expecting too much from Ishant? Damn right we are! The dude earns a million dollars in IPL. After a long long time we had a bowler with his pace and bounce, and he dropping off pace from his armour in a hurry is very disconcerting. He is young, and at his age as he keeps maturing, his pace into atleast his mid 20's should increase gradually. On the contrary, he's dropping off pace and going the Munaf Patel way is too depressing. Yes, we are expecting from him what everyone expects from young bowlers that have delivered results against the best sides. There's nothing wrong with it. If he can't handle it, then he should have no place in the side!

Thanx Mr.Prasad.......we have seen what services you have provided and we apprciate it.But we are seeing our bowlers who once bowler thunderbolts now bowl pingpong bowls,butwe realist you are atleats trying them to bowl airgun pellets.Also just now my kaam wali bai pointed out couple of mistakes in Ishants action but of course they are too trivial for you to look into.SO in short i just want to say sir that with all due respect to your astonishing record as a fats bowler and even more astounding work with our bowlers and after disscussing that hwo frightingely quick you were as a bowler we jus wanted to let you know that "YOU ARE FIRED"

We're expecting too much from Ishant? Damn right we are! The dude earns a million dollars in IPL. After a long long time we had a bowler with his pace and bounce, and he dropping off pace from his armour in a hurry is very disconcerting. He is young, and at his age as he keeps maturing, his pace into atleast his mid 20's should increase gradually. On the contrary, he's dropping off pace and going the Munaf Patel way is too depressing. Yes, we are expecting from him what everyone expects from young bowlers that have delivered results against the best sides. There's nothing wrong with it. If he can't handle it, then he should have no place in the side!
good post.. agree with the thoughts here.
BB isnt it prasad's responsibility to teach our fast bowlers how to bowl in odis and t20?is he just a test match coach?.none of our fast bowlers can bowl a yorker,hell they dont even attempt a yorker.Ishant tries to bowl a change of pace but is picked immediately and belted out of the ground.why isnt prasad teaching his favorite cutters?.why are our fast bowlers so poor in maintaining a simple line and length and not bowl attrocious gimme balls every over to relieve the pressure.unless our pacers wise up we are not going to win major tournament again.our batting is going to fail once or twice in tournaments and our bowlers just cant back them up.
Oh lord. For the last time, bowling coach != Sachin (GOD). Prasad can teach all the things in the world to the bowlers, but at the end of the day it is entirely up to the bowler on how he goes about the tweaks that he learned from his coach. You lot speak as if you grasped whatever your teacher taught you in high school at the very first attempt.