Brands influence selection: Pawar

BCCI President Sharad Pawar has made some major revelations on player contracts and team selection. In an exclusive interview to CNN-IBN, Pawar has said that some younger players had told him that they felt ad companies were trying to influence selection. He also said an inquiry was being done to find out if a player's contract was linked to the time he spent on the crease. Mr Pawar also spoke out on the decision to rest Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly for the Bangladesh one-day series. This is the first time Pawar has spoken out on the controversies swirling around Indian cricket since the World Cup defeat. Pawar on player-advertiser nexus I have full confidence on the selection committee and the captain. They will never indulge in these type of wrong things. But it is true that when I got an opportunity to interact with some young players, they did mention that there are certain advertisement companies which are giving contracts to a group of players. The companies' intentions are always to see that each and every member of their advertisement team is selected. That is their thinking. I don't know how far it is correct. Pawar on contracts This is not confirmed. But we have got some complaints from some responsible people that there are some contracts of players with some companies based on how much time they spend on the crease, that if you spend more time on the wicket then you will get more money. If that is correct, then this affects the game. Rajdeep Sardesai: You have got an official complaint or is it unofficial? Sharad Pawar: It is unofficial, not official. Rajdeep Sardesai: Are you investigating it? Sharad Pawar: We have just requested, sent a message to the players that we would like to see their contracts. Rajdeep Sardesai: You are not going to tell us who that player is? Sharad Pawar: No. Pawar on selection Nobody has been kept out of the team, and nobody has told that somebody should be kept in the team. Normally we select 12-15 players. This time we decided to select 20 players. Rajdeep Sardesai: No instructions were given that senior players should be rested? Sharad Pawar: Not at all. No instruction was given to whether senior players should be rested, or whether Sachin or someone else should be dropped. Rajdeep Sardesai: The instruction was to have a young team? Sharad Pawar: The instruction was, instead of selecting 15 players, they select 20 players. Rajdeep Sardesai: Isn't that an interference with selection? Sharad Pawar: Of course. But there is a reason. Because if among 20 players you are not giving opportunities to youngsters, then how can you build your team for tomorrow? source = Ibnlive.com

Re: Brands influence selection: Pawar Oh yes. Proof!! So what proof has he given??? Nothing at all. Which player's name has he disclosed?? No one's!

The companies' intentions are always to see that each and every member of their advertisement team is selected. That is their thinking. I don't know how far it is correct.
He is just trying the guessing game and nothing is coming out of it. The politicians---they are trying this divide and rule policy!! I'm 100% sure that this fellow is just trying to hit something in dark and looking absolutely stupid in the process!

Re: Brands influence selection: Pawar And this is the most ridiculous statement I've ever come across : :"sponsors are running cricket"!! Shouldn't he be ashamed on himself, his establishment, his board members, his chosen selectors if that indeed is the case?? Instead this guy is shamelessly saying that the whole BCCI was asleep all these years and have just woken up that they have to run cricket in the country too. And they find out that the sponsors are doing it!!! :mad:

Re: Brands influence selection: Pawar Why would he name the player ? Such matters will never come out in the open. When the BCCI head honcho admits to something fishy there is no better proof than that. Why would he say such a thing without any basis ? And exactly what would u accept as proof ? The agents & the players coming out of their closet & admitting their guilt ? This is like declaring a murderer innocent, since he never confessed to the murder.

Re: Brands influence selection: Pawar

Why would he name the player ? Such matters will never come out in the open.
Why not?What is he afraid of if he has the proof? How can a young players career go awry if the BCCI President names who complained to him? Afterall it is BCCI Psresident who is the head here! And if he doesn't have the name, or can't name them whats the point in saying something?? How is it different from any of "close sources"??
This is like declaring a murderer innocent, since he never confessed to the murder.
How??

Why would he name the player ? Such matters will never come out in the open.
Why not?What is he afraid of if he has the proof?
Huh ? Obviously the player in question would have confessed on conditions of anonymity. Havent u heard of reports quoting unnamed officials or authorities that contained truth ? It would be silly if Pawar named the player who divulged such details.
How can a young players career go awry if the BCCI President names who complained to him? Afterall it is BCCI Psresident who is the head here!
Wouldnt the young player have to share the dressing room with his team mates ? Wouldnt he have to lead or play under people in question ? Why would Pawar reveal details about the player to the press ?
And if he doesn't have the name, or can't name them whats the point in saying something?? How is it different from any of "close sources"??
Look if a TOI wrote a piece on the above, such claims/qns of yours may have some merit. Pawar heads the BCCI. Him admitting that his players/selection commitee may be involved in fixing selections is proof enuff that something's fishy with the sponsorships.
This is like declaring a murderer innocent, since he never confessed to the murder. How??
Because of the nature of proof u are requesting is akin to a murderer confessing. Even then, u might say the murderer was forced & it wasnt his original confession. U are not gonna see players or agents come out in the open & discuss these. They will risk lawsuits, their careers & much more if they do so. U gotta assess the context & evaluate the evidence. Pawar is evidence enuff for me

Huh ? Obviously the player in question would have confessed on conditions of anonymity. Havent u heard of reports quoting unnamed officials or authorities that contained truth ? It would be silly if Pawar named the player who divulged such details.
Well, Pawar is being extremely silly by not naming the player, that is if he has any names. And what is the point of saying this: "Sponsors run cricket"?? What on earth is he doing? And who does he think is guilty here?? He just doesn't know. And you tell me, since you are buying his argument, who is he blaming here?? Or rather, what exactly is he trying to convey?

Wouldnt the young player have to share the dressing room with his team mates ? Wouldnt he have to lead or play under people in question ? Why would Pawar reveal details about the player to the press ?
Goodness me!! If the player that the young player claimed is guilty, why won't Pawar fire him instead?? What is SHARAD PAWAR afraid of??!!!

Goodness me!! If the player that the young player claimed is guilty, why won't Pawar fire him instead?? What is SHARAD PAWAR afraid of??!!!

Read the report again. Its the young players who brought this issue forward. Obviously they will cop the heat in the dressing room if their names are made public.

chandan, if u do not believe the article, go to ibnlive.com there is a video interview of pawar where he says all this :wtg:
Holy, I'm not saying that this story on CNN-IBN is false. I'm only saying that Sharad Pawar is lying here and there are many reasons to think so.

Its the young players who brought this issue forward. Obviously they will cop the heat in the dressing room if their names are made public.
No. You read the story again and tell me where is Pawar confident of the story??
I got an opportunity to interact with some young players, they did mention that there are certain advertisement companies which are giving contracts to a group of players.
Which young players? Pawar declines to disclose! When did he meet them--before WC or after WC? No anwer! What exactly is he trying to say here? That the sponsors are influencing the selection of certain people?
I have full confidence on the selection committee and the captain. They will never indulge in these type of wrong things.
The answer is no. Then?
The companies' intentions are always to see that each and every member of their advertisement team is selected. That is their thinking. I don't know how far it is correct.
He is not sure!! You see what a fool is he making of himself?? And even more surprising is when few of you (ok only one of you) is even buying his story! The guy is saying that the selectors of BCCI are corrupt and perhaps are influenced by the ad companies!! Oh my God!! Does he not realise that no selection is complete till he signs?? What exactly is he trying to say??