CLT20, 2009 : Trescothick Flies Back Home:Stress related Illness

Trescothick flies home from India Cricinfo staff October 15, 2009 Marcus Trescothick has had to fly home from Somerset's Champions League campaign in India after a recurrence of his stress-related illness. He will play no further part in the event, even though Somerset have qualified for the second round of the campaign. "Marcus has made a great effort to travel to India," Somerset's director of cricket, Brian Rose, said in a statement on the club website. "Regrettably it has not worked out for him and he has travelled back to England to rejoin his family." "The club and all his team mates have fully appreciated this effort and personal commitment and look forward to further success on his behalf." Trescothick has been named as Justin Langer's successor as Somerset campaign next season, and was named as the PCA Player of the Year for 2009 after topping the first-class run-charts. He scored 17 runs in his two innings in the tournament as Somerset beat Deccan Chargers but lost to the group winners, Trinidad & Tobago. His illness first occurred during England's tour of India in February 2006, then reoccurred at the start of the Ashes campaign in Australia in November. In early 2008 he pulled out of a pre-season tour to Dubai after breaking down at Heathrow Airport, after which he formally announced his retirement from international cricket in March 2008. If he cant handle it.he shouldnt come at all.

i don know, why he is not accepting this problem in his life and hence decide not to take part in these kind of tournaments away from home. We all know he has been facing some mental trauma when he is touring outside his country, so why take part and then leave in the middle of the tournament. Agreed he is trying his level best to fight whatever problem he has, but at some level i am sure he must be knowing that it is much bigger than what he is thinking. Hmm anyway hope everything is ok with him!!

:finger: not trying to be brave or something.. jus this guy is as weak as a hay stick.. one touch he lll break... shame on him..
Well not everyone is strong like you. I see you are posting this from Ind-Pak border in Kashmir. How's the weather down there ?
:finger: not trying to be brave or something.. jus this guy is as weak as a hay stick.. one touch he lll break... shame on him..
Such problems are actually physical, i.e, they are caused by abnormalities/chemical imbalances in the brain. Nothing to do with how mentally strong a person is
i don know' date=' why he is not accepting this problem in his life and hence decide not to take part in these kind of tournaments away from home. We all know he has been facing some mental trauma when he is touring outside his country, so why take part and then leave in the middle of the tournament. Agreed he is trying his level best to fight whatever problem he has, but at some level i am sure he must be knowing that it is much bigger than what he is thinking. Hmm anyway hope everything is ok with him!![/quote'] IF you have talent for something and love doing something, its very very impossible to let it go
IF you have talent for something and love doing something' date=' its very very impossible to let it go[/quote'] i concur on what you are saying, but knowing his history he should respect his commitment to his team and his team mates. That was my point. So he has to take a tough call right before a start of such a big tournament and be true to himself as well as his teammates!!
i concur on what you are saying' date=' but knowing his history he should respect his commitment to his team and his team mates. That was my point. So he has to take a tough call right before a start of such a big tournament and be true to himself as well as his teammates!![/quote'] i think it was after a long time that he toured. Maybe he felt absolutely right. It was only after setting foot in a different country and the change in weather, etc, he felt the effect

Trescothick flies home from India Marcus Trescothick has had to fly home from Somerset's Champions League campaign in India after a recurrence of his stress-related illness. He will play no further part in the event, even though Somerset have qualified for the second round of the campaign. His latest setback occurred on the morning after Somerset's defeat to Trinidad & Tobago, a result that left their progression from the group stages hanging on the result of Trinidad's subsequent encounter with Deccan Chargers. He approached Somerset's director of cricket, Brian Rose, with his misgivings, and given his previous history of depression, the decision was immediately taken to fly him home. "Marcus has made a great effort to travel to India," Rose said in a statement on the club website. "Regrettably it has not worked out for him and he has travelled back to England to rejoin his family. The club and all his team mates have fully appreciated this effort and personal commitment and look forward to further success on his behalf." Up until that point, Trescothick's first overseas campaign for three years had been a qualified success. Though he managed only 17 runs in two innings, he nevertheless played his part in the thrilling one-wicket win over the IPL champions, Deccan Chargers, and appeared happy and settled in the squad. His wife Hayley accompanied him on the trip, after plans for him to commute in and out of India from a base in Dubai had fallen through for logistical reasons. Trescothick has been named as Justin Langer's successor as Somerset campaign next season, and was named as the PCA Player of the Year for 2009 after racking up 1817 first-class runs at 75 for the season, to help Somerset to a third-place finish in the First Division. In total he scored eight hundreds during the Championship season and produced the best innings of Twenty20 Finals day, a 27-ball half-century in Somerset's semi-final victory over Kent at Edgbaston - the match that guaranteed their participation in this competition. His illness first occurred during England's tour of India in February 2006, then reoccurred at the start of the Ashes campaign in Australia in November. In early 2008 he pulled out of a pre-season tour to Dubai after breaking down at Heathrow Airport, after which he formally announced his retirement from international cricket in March 2008. Prior to the Champions League, Trescothick had spoken of his pride at taking part in an unprecedented venture alongside his Somerset team-mates, but nevertheless warned of the dangers. "I know the risk and I know what happens when it goes wrong," he told BBC World Service. "I can only try. It's a big competition for the players and for the club. I have got to try and make it happen." As recently as August, Trescothick was being mentioned in dispatches as a possible replacement for Ravi Bopara in the Ashes decider at The Oval, but this latest set-back will surely bring an end to all speculation about the end of his international retirement. There seems little prospect, either, of Trescothick returning to India at a later stage of the competition, should Somerset progress to the knock-out stages.

In our part of world, there is very little awareness of mental illnesses. People suffering from it are considered as 'paagal'. People like you will never understand what actaully goes through the mind who suffers from it.