That LBW dismissal...

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Want-the-world-to-forget-about-99-Tendulkar-dismissal-Harper/531387/ M_Id_115556_Daryl_Harper.jpgWant the world to forget about '99 Tendulkar dismissal: Harper In his more than a decade-long career, Australian umpire Daryl Harper says the infamous leg-before decision he gave against Sachin Tendulkar in 1999 is the only one he wants the world to forget about but insists that he was not wrong in giving the Indian batsman out. "The one that I would like the world to forget is the Sachin (Tendulkar) one, when he ducked a (Glenn) McGrath bouncer, in Adelaide in 1999. I've got the video clip on my laptop still, and you can see it is still out!" Harper said. "Sunil Gavaskar was the commentator and he agreed, saying it would've been out LBW if the stumps were six inches taller. Sachin was the captain and he didn't mention it in his report - always fair play with Sachin, and he is still a wonderful sportsperson," he recalled. McGrath's delivery had hit Tendulkar's shoulder in front of the wickets and Harper ruled it out, leading to quite a furore. Harper said he has made his share of mistakes but has never said sorry to a player for that. "I've never apologised. I've made mistakes but there was nothing deliberate about any errors that I ever made. Replays find you out in these times, unlike in the old days, where umpires got away with anything," he said. The 57-year-old, who is here for the Champions League Twenty20, has developed interest in hindi and is learning the language. "Yes, I have the material here. 'Doobara mat poochna (don't ask me again).' I picked that up from a television advertisement in India," he told 'Cricinfo'. Despite a long career, Harper has never won the ICC Umpire of the Year award which has gone a majority of times to fellow Australian Simon Taufel. "Apparently I'm in the top-12. I'll almost be disappointed if I win it because I'm not a person who always gives the predictable answers. "I don't mind asking difficult questions of people who are casting the votes. Some umpires are less critical than I am. But Taufel is an outstanding umpire, full stop," he said. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- I think it was out, after watching the clips on youtube.
^^^ IK didnt know that a ball travels in a parralel trajectory. It will either rise or fall' date=' surely?[/quote'] I think you can notice that the ball is rising as the distance btw red and black lines gets smaller as the ball travels forward but is the rate enough for it to miss the stumps?
I think you can notice that the ball is rising as the distance btw red and black lines gets smaller as the ball travels forward but is the rate enough for it to miss the stumps?
I doubt it. More likely it is dropping. There is some doubt whether it would hit the top of the stumps are not. But in the front view, it looks less doubtful.

It should not have been given out because ball didn't hit the pads. Take this example - When a batsman is facing a spinner and ball sometimes hits on his glove which is rite in fron tof the middle stump, the batsman is never given out. So in this case, as the ball didn't hit the pads, it should not have been given out. The name of the dismissal is - Leg before wicket.

I doubt it. More likely it is dropping. There is some doubt whether it would hit the top of the stumps are not. But in the front view' date=' it looks less doubtful.[/quote'] I think it would have clipped the top of the stumps
It should not have been given out because ball didn't hit the pads. Take this example - When a batsman is facing a spinner and ball sometimes hits on his glove which is rite in fron tof the middle stump, the batsman is never given out. So in this case, as the ball didn't hit the pads, it should not have been given out. The name of the dismissal is - Leg before wicket.
I think it could be any part of the body AFAIK