Pietersen: Best bat against McWarne ?

Bumper

Averages 83 in 4 tests vs McWarne, with two big 100s -- one Ashes winning 100, another setting up a test win. Is this the highest any modern day batter has averaged against McWarne ? Also averages 62 vs Australia overall (7th test inclusive). He caned Warney, pulled, straight drove, lofted, cut the pacers at will. He's got all the shots. Whatta player.

Re: Pietersen: Best bat against McWarne ? Lara's series against Australia (when AUS bowling attack was led by McGrath AND Warne); - 94/95 AUS in WI - 308 @ 44 - 96/97 WI in AUS - 298 @ 32 - 98/99 AUS in WI - 546 @ 91* - 05/06 WI in AUS - 345 @ 57 Overall - 1497 runs @ 56 * Warne averaged 134 runs per wicket in this series, and the 2nd highest batting average by a WI batsman was Sherwin Campbell's 28.14 ! I'd say Lara's record is the benchmark - unless someone else can come up with better figures for another batsman over 4 series. For the record, Tendulkar has 582 runs @ 48. He has played just two series (6 tests in all) against bowling attacks led by McGrath AND Warne. Pietersen is well on his way to overtaking Tendulkar, but whether he can match Lara's tally of 1497 @ 56 over 4 series (2 home, 2 away) remains to be seen. Currently, he is at his peak and seems unstoppable against an aging Warne and McGrath, so he might well overhaul Lara in due course.

Re: Pietersen: Best bat against McWarne ? Pieterson gives too many chances to my liking ....He is good for 40 and then rides his luck... Exciting unorthodox shots yes in the Sehwag mode. Cannot compare the quality of centuries Lara, Tendulkar , Dravid, Laxman & Vaughan scored gainst the same attacks

Re: Pietersen: Best bat against McWarne ?

Cannot compare the quality of centuries Lara, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman & Vaughan scored gainst the same attacks
Who cares about quality ? At the end of your career, history wont judge you by the no. of chances you gave, rather by the sheer no. of runs you scored & the manner (dominance) in which you scored them. I have seen many point a few chances Sehwag would normally give, on his way to a big score. My response would be, may be, its not just because of his luck, sehwag is being dropped like that, may be the power of his shots have something to do with it ? Besides even when given a lifeline there arent many who make it count that big!

Re: Pietersen: Best bat against McWarne ? He is good. Waits for ball instead of committing too much on the front foot. Always seems to be in control till he hits a stupid shot. I wouldn't read too much into his record specifically against an aging McWarne.

Re: Pietersen: Best bat against McWarne ? Was watching 2nd day replays.Warne was way too negative bowling a foot outside leg as a damage control mesaure.KP was kicking away wide ones while bitch slapping anything on stumps. Some of his shots off McGrath were breath taking (if you have seen the flying pull u know what I mean).This is the bull by horn aggresion required to challenge Aussies.

Re: Pietersen: Best bat against McWarne ?

Pieterson gives too many chances to my liking ....He is good for 40 and then rides his luck... Exciting unorthodox shots yes in the Sehwag mode. Cannot compare the quality of centuries Lara, Tendulkar , Dravid, Laxman & Vaughan scored gainst the same attacks
so was Viv.... this shouldnt take away anything from Sehwag and KP...

Re: Pietersen: Best bat against McWarne ? England are building one hell of a batting lineup for the future with two top class youngsters like Ian Bell (24) and Alastair Cook (21) making up the top order, and Pietersen (26) at the heart of it. In another 2 years, if Strauss and Flintoff maintain their form - England will be unstoppable.