Tiwary waiting to put Cup education into practice

Tiwary waiting to put Cup education into practice - ?Making the India squad is like passing Class XII? I?ve still got to graduate and, then, do my Master?s?? LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI Calcutta: Manoj Kumar Tiwary (not Tewari) didn?t watch the entire Australian innings ?live? on Saturday night, but there still was much to learn from the champions? assault in the World Cup final. ?More than the Adam Gilchrist blast, what struck me was the planning ? neither Gilchrist nor Matthew Hayden took a chance against the in-form Lasith Malinga, but attacked Chaminda Vaas and Dilhara Fernando? It proved skill alone doesn?t work and you?ve got to use your head,? Tiwary, whose roots are in UP?s Pratapgarh, told The Telegraph. Speaking after yet another workout at Sporting Union, on Monday evening, the only full-fledged rookie selected for the forthcoming three-match ODI series in Bangladesh added: ?Actually, Gilchrist gave a reminder about one of the basics ? if the ball is asking to be hit, then you?ve got to give it a whack? Why give it respect? His was such a brilliantly calculated effort?? If all goes well, Tiwary?s debut will be in the opener itself (Mirpur, on May 10) and, so, D-Day isn?t far off. In other words, there?s little time for the 21-year-old to make his ammo more lethal. The just-ended World Cup was, of course, an education ? it?s another matter that the iconic Sir Viv Richards feels the tournament mirrored the ?decline? in standards. ?I?ve now got a better idea of dominating and not allowing the bowlers to get on top? I learnt quite a bit by watching Hayden in the matches leading up to the final? I?ve also understood that most teams are really increasing the pace in the crucial middle overs,? Tiwary, a former India U-19 captain in ODIs, said. While Sachin Tendulkar?s April 1998 exploits in Sharjah drew him to cricket (soccer got elbowed out), Tiwary?s current ?favourite? is the bindaas Kevin Pietersen. ?He plays so freely and has all the shots? He?s mentally very tough as well and doesn?t allow the pressure to sit on him? Watching him is such a pleasure.? Son of Eastern Railway employee Shyam Sundar and ?housewife? Bina, Tiwary is aware of the rising expectations but is intent on not allowing the pressure to overwhelm him. Sourav Ganguly has been ?rested? ? Kapil Dev, however, thinks otherwise ? but with Tiwary booked on the May 7 flight to Dhaka, Bengal won?t go unrepresented. ?Making the India squad is like passing Class XII? I?ve still got to graduate and, then, do my Master?s? Kafi lamba safar baki hai and I?m ready to work hard.? Tiwary, incidentally, is a Class X dropout but is looking at options to pursue studies ?privately.? Even if he?s short on formal education, the right-handed Tiwary (he prefers batting at No.4/5) looks an absolute thoroughbred with the bat. He has truly come a long way from breaking into the Calcutta league as a leggie who could bat.

Re: Tiwary waiting to put Cup education into practice

?Actually, Gilchrist gave a reminder about one of the basics ? if the ball is asking to be hit, then you?ve got to give it a whack? Why give it respect? His was such a brilliantly calculated effort??
if you remember this.. you will go long way Mr. Tiwary

Re: Tiwary waiting to put Cup education into practice I haven't seen him but I'm not going to hope for any miracles from him. I'm a bit tired of seeing all these youngsters play couple of games on flat pitches and score some quick runs but fail when the ball does a bit. Who was the last batsman from India that has lived up to the expectations? I think Sehwag was the last one. When did Sehwag make his debut? Sometime in 2000 I think. That says quite a bit about India's bench strength in batting doesn't it?

Re: Tiwary waiting to put Cup education into practice I haven't seen this guy bat when the ball does a bit, because it rarely does anything in India and the bowling standard is quite poor at domestic level. still the fellow looked technically okay. Don't expect miracles from him. But a steady performance is expected!

For India's Bangla battle, here comes the best For India's Bangla battle, here comes the best Nadim Siraj Posted online: Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 0927 hours IST Updated: Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 0929 hours IST Kolkata, May 3: Manoj Tiwary is Bengal?s new entrant to Team India and on Wednesday his bat predicted he is here to stay for some time. On the first day of the team camp at Eden Gardens, Tiwary betrayed no signs of nerves as he jostled for attention with Indian cricket?s biggies. Tiwary?s selection to the one-day side for the Bangladesh tour is still a hot topic, and his performance at the camp on Wednesday signalled that the Indian team has got a confident contender for the sixth position in its batting line-up. The young, middle-order batsman is already being seen by the Shastri-Dravid think-tank as the number sixth batsman ? the slot made popular by Mohammed Kaif. The Howrah born, 21-year-old sent manager Ravi Shastri, skipper Rahul Dravid and assistant coaches Robin Singh and Venkatesh Prasad nodding, while he fielded in the morning?s 90-minute session. He ran hard and lunged at every passing ball. However, the real test came later in the afternoon, when he was handed the bat. India?s speedsters V R V Singh, Sreesanth, Munaf Patel and Ishant Sharma kept up a steady line and length at Tiwary but were smacked all over the field. He displayed a whole array of strokes. When the veteran Anil Kumble turned his hand at the young batsman, Tiwary danced down the track and played a few lofted shots. As Tiwary kept hitting away, his personal coach and mentor Manabendra Ghosh quietly saw his dream come true from a corner of Eden?s stands. ?Manoj has dominated the show today. He was not intimidated by his teammates. He just did what he does best,? Ghosh told The Indian Express.

Re: Tiwary waiting to put Cup education into practice This kid needs two consecutive test series at #6 - only then will we know if he is cut for a position in the batting lineup. Will they have the balls to play him though ? In the long term, one of Laxman or Ganguly may have to make way.