Enough of these baseless allegations on the players!!

Mr Pawar, act now to save team PRADEEP MAGAZINE NDIAN CRICKET is increasingly becoming like an orphan in search of caring parents. Innuendos, insinuations and allegations are the norm and players are at the receiving end of these attacks. Sources, leaks and those who believe they are in the know write anything and everything and in the absence of any official clarification from the Board, no one knows what the truth is and what is a lie. Those very sources that plant news in the media, then, when asked officially to react, tell you that they know nothing about it. But off the record they will rubbish their opponents, and what is very disquieting is that the opponents are the players. What should disturb us even more are the allegations made by the Indian Board president Sharad Pawar himself in an interview to CNN-IBN7. What till now was a whispering campaign has got official sanction. Are agents and sponsors influencing team selection? Is one key player in the team selling the interest of the team, so that he can make more money from his sponsors? If you go by what Pawar has said, these allegations have some substance, though Pawarf in the same breath, has said that he has full faith in the captain and the selectors. According to Pawar: one of the young players in the team has alleged that sponsors influence team selection. He also says there is an "unconfirmed" complaint against a player for deliberately batting slowly in the World Cup. Going by what has been appearing in the media, you don't need to be a Sherlock Holmes to know which player his insinuations are about. The problem here, and it is a serious one, is that Pawar is not an opposition member whose main job is to make allegations against the ruling group. What the Board president is saying is something very very serious and before making these sinister allegations, one wishes he had first probed them and then gone on record. Pawar should realise that Indian cricket is in a serious crisis and the team is on the verge of disintegration - that is, if it has not already disintegrated. And there is an urgent need to address and find a solution to all these issues; otherwise we might even fall behind Bangladesh in the world ratings. The point one is making is, where is the need for those who have the power and the mandate to sift truth from lies, to themselves indulge in this blame game? We all want to know the truth. And more importantly we all want these problems to be sorted out and the guilty - be it a player, an agent, a sponsor or a Board official - punished. Pawar, instead of adding fuel to fire, should call all the players, listen to their side of the story as well and then reach his conclusions on what is the problem in the team. And if a player - the allegations are probably against Souray Ganguly, but could be any other player - has a contract that says his payment is linked to the time he spends on the crease, punish him. I would say even ban him for life. He should call him and all players immediately and force them to show their contracts. These allegations are too serious to be left unverified for long. Please don't damage Indian cricket more. Act now and discover the truth, before it is far too late. pradeepmagazine@gmail.com

Re: Enough of these baseless allegations on the players!! I agree with him 100%. In fact he has addressed almost all the points which I wanted to ask. How on earth can Pawar go ahead on record without doing a probe and without having any substantial proof against senior or junior players? Does he think it all it is similar to giving false reports to parliament about production and consumption of various crops and deflecting the blame to someone else's head? What on earth is he trying to say??

Re: Enough of these baseless allegations on the players!! Till the board will not have faith in the selectors and players and they'll keep on feeding the media with vicious lies and stupid public will keep on buying it, this will always reamain an issue!! How can you expect performance from players who are put under such serious trauma when you are questioning their integrity day in day out? Seniors are not trusting the juniors because Pawar claimed that some young player complained to him about the seniors? If in this scenario you are expecting performance, you are fooling yourself!!

Re: Enough of these baseless allegations on the players!!

How can you expect performance from players who are put under such serious trauma when you are questioning their integrity day in day out? Seniors are not trusting the juniors because Pawar claimed that some young player complained to him about the seniors? If in this scenario you are expecting performance, you are fooling yourself!!
Yea right. These guys have been chokers for a while now. And all these allegations have come up AFTER the most recent choke job. Don't tell me that all those ODI finals losses, humliation to the aussies in Nagpur, 4th quarter collapses in Bangalore and Karachi, losing to Bangladesh in the 1st round of WC 07 etc are all because of people questioning their integrity day in and out.

Re: Enough of these baseless allegations on the players!! No my dear. Whenever a particular player failed even in one inning, the media used to turn on that players only do ads and don't do any hard work--as if it were the ill informed journalist who played be id 45 degrees of heat or 5 degree of chilling cold!! Obviously some BCCI officials were aiding them as "close sources" too. Have you started following cricket only recently?

Have you started following cricket only recently?
Doesn't matter how long, but for however long I always just wanted one thing, the team to win. All these media issues are secondary and no I don't feel sorry for the players. They are pros whose ONLY job is to perform consistently on the field. Rest of the issues, I could care less, unless they are related to on-field performance.

Re: Enough of these baseless allegations on the players!! You don't need to be sorry for them. if they are pros, so are the board officials. If you expect one to commit a blunder and escape scot free while other to keep performing like a robot, then you are wrong. Players are very much human. And I can't see them excelling under these circumstances!

Re: Enough of these baseless allegations on the players!! well its quite strange , tht some ppl still defend players for their performance and blaming the board for tht.. watever its said, yes mebe the board is corrupt and they are also to be blamed for all the shitty adminstratiuon, leaks etc etc.. but tht doesnt take away the blame frm the players....we were elminated cuz we dint play well.. all this media pressure and corrupt board reasoning is a big BS.. when ppl question ur integrity, u dont buckle, u strive to prove them wrong... but wat did u see in them.. a spinless performance.. thts cuz of the shameless attitude and not cuz of media pressure and board adminstration..

well its quite strange ' date=' tht some ppl still defend players for their performance and blaming the board for tht.. watever its said, yes mebe the board is corrupt and they are also to be blamed for all the ***** adminstratiuon, leaks etc etc.. but tht doesnt take away the blame frm the players....we were elminated cuz we dint play well.. all this media pressure and corrupt board reasoning is a big BS.. when ppl question ur integrity, u dont buckle, u strive to prove them wrong... but wat did u see in them.. a spinless performance.. thts cuz of the shameless attitude and not cuz of media pressure and board adminstration..[/quote'] that's because of hero worship which is one of the reasons for our mediocrity. people suck up to these players and treat them like gods, that the players themselves start believing that they are indeed above such petty requirements like consistent professional performance on the field.

Re: Enough of these baseless allegations on the players!! I cant believe that we are still giving the benefit of doubt to these primadonnas. No one complained about their endorsements or the contents of their contracts through so many years of mediocrity because they were still interspersed with the odd good performance. Its only now that we failed to reach the second round of the WC that these issues have cropped up and rightly so. In the face of such a disastrous performance coupled with years of mediocrity every facet needs to be examined.

Re: Enough of these baseless allegations on the players!! OMG. Well what is your measurement criteria here?? If you are blaming a player who has been pathetic all along then why blame him??? Blame selectors and board officials to not take action and throw such a crap out. And if you are questioning a player who has scored some 10-20 thousand runs then you gotta give credit to a player ahead of any stupid board members. Remember players make lot of money from their career and it could be a jealousy on the part of others to harass them or whatever. Now such a thing may not come out because it is all off the record and no proofs. Like Greg did, he might have treated Sachin badly that?s why he reacted in the media. I want to trust the guys who have performed in the middle for 5-7-10 years rather than some #$$#@ who just got that hot seat because of a politics. SP may be attacking seniors now to get a little cut from their contract money as a Hafta. Who doesn't know what SP has been all along for 30-35 years now. We do not know the reality. Such things are coming out only because seniors have been consistently attached now and their performance has been drastically affected by something. NOW I DON?T KNOW WHAT THAT MIGHT BE. But I am sure there is definitely a reason behind it. Come on guys. Its not a rocket science. These seniors have been playing for 10+ years with us. Their honesty is challenged all of a sudden. Don?t fall pray to those dirty politicians.

Re: Enough of these baseless allegations on the players!! Since when criticizing performance means to question the integrity of players? Some of you are willing to believe politicians and GC when they try to shift their part of the blame (no one is letting players off the hook for their bad performance) and question the attitude, integrity and character of players. Forgive me, but I never lived in the lala land where politicians and GC have always been more honest than Yudhistir, and feel free to throw around hero worshipper tag. It's better than believing them, doing the exact same thing ie worshipping someone else and feeling like not doing that at all.

I cant believe that we are still giving the benefit of doubt to these primadonnas. No one complained about their endorsements or the contents of their contracts through so many years of mediocrity because they were still interspersed with the odd good performance. Its only now that we failed to reach the second round of the WC that these issues have cropped up and rightly so. In the face of such a disastrous performance coupled with years of mediocrity every facet needs to be examined.
Seems you don't live in India, Shwetabh. had you lived here, you could have read what comes out in the papers and newschannels. But I'm not defending the players. If you've found them guilty, punish them. BUT HAS ANYONE FOUND THEM GUILTY OF WHAT PAWAR IS ACCUSING??? That is the original post and would like to have your opinion on that.

Re: Enough of these baseless allegations on the players!! No I dont live in India, Chandan but in the world of internet one is pretty much aware of whats going on in India. And while there were the occasional news pieces earlier such a fuss is only after the WC debacle. And there is no way to prove any of these allegations. Even if there were objectionable clauses in the contract they will never be presented to the BCCI in case of an investigation.

Don't tell me that all those ODI finals losses, humliation to the aussies in Nagpur, 4th quarter collapses in Bangalore and Karachi, losing to Bangladesh in the 1st round of WC 07 etc are all because of people questioning their integrity day in and out.
Nagpur was when the true decline of this team started. And it had everything to do with a traitor called Shashank Manohar and his clique, who have since been rewarded for their treachery by electing them en-masse into the BCCI.

Don't tell me that all those ODI finals losses, humliation to the aussies in Nagpur, 4th quarter collapses in Bangalore and Karachi, losing to Bangladesh in the 1st round of WC 07 etc are all because of people questioning their integrity day in and out.
Nagpur was when the true decline of this team started. And it had everything to do with a traitor called Shashank Manohar and his clique, who have since been rewarded for their treachery by electing them en-masse into the BCCI.
I agree.