Most enjoyable world cup

Re: Most enjoyable world cup My favourite, amongst the ones that I've watched, has to be the '99 world cup. Low scoring games, quality bowling attacks(even England with an incredible Mullally was potent), awesome fielding and some absolute thrillers. Had it not been for that heart breaking 2 run defeat to Zim,we would have been in the semis. Pakistan were awesome in that world cup. Wasim was inspirational, Shoaib was fiery, Razzaq actually performed like an all rounder and Moin's late order hitting was a sight to watch(still remember that sweep off Donald). RSA's batting depth, with Zulu coming in at number 8, was unmatched. And their bowling: Donald,Pollock.Elworthy,Zulu and Kallis! Australia showed incredible resilience to reach the finals, after they were looking at an early exit following successive losses to Pak and NZ. Zimbos had probably their best team in history, with NJ opening the bowling and batting. Flower brothers, Strang, Streak, Campbell. And the matches. Ind-Zim, Pak-Aus, Aus-RSA(super 6s and semis!), Pak-RSA, RSA-Zim to name a few. :wtg:

Re: Most enjoyable world cup 1992 is my choice. Coloured clothing, white ball, legends such as Martin Crowe, Border, Richards, Lara, Richardson, Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Waugh brothers, Kapil Dev, Botham, Dean Jones, Imran, Tendulakar, Miandad, Azhar, Donald and listless number of top class players participated in the game. Also the only world cup I've watched live so this was an enjoyable one for me. This world cup had its bad moments like the rain rule and Pakistan despite being walloped in the first round by England going on to win the world cup thanks to destiny and stupid rain rules. Still the 1992 world cup was a first time for a lot of reasons.

Re: Most enjoyable world cup '83 - because I was there & India won. Yeehaa. And at the semi-finals where beat England. Botham couldn't field on the boundary that day (not that he did generally) but they tried to put him on boundary at the end of Indian innings. He took a mouthful from all indian supports and the V sign everytime he looked in the crowd. He was quickly moved inside - he just couldn't take it. Never liked him - too arrogant for my taste.

Re: Most enjoyable world cup

My favourite, amongst the ones that I've watched, has to be the '99 world cup. Low scoring games, quality bowling attacks(even England with an incredible Mullally was potent), awesome fielding and some absolute thrillers. Had it not been for that heart breaking 2 run defeat to Zim,we would have been in the semis. Pakistan were awesome in that world cup. Wasim was inspirational, Shoaib was fiery, Razzaq actually performed like an all rounder and Moin's late order hitting was a sight to watch(still remember that sweep off Donald). RSA's batting depth, with Zulu coming in at number 8, was unmatched. And their bowling: Donald,Pollock.Elworthy,Zulu and Kallis! Australia showed incredible resilience to reach the finals, after they were looking at an early exit following successive losses to Pak and NZ. Zimbos had probably their best team in history, with NJ opening the bowling and batting. Flower brothers, Strang, Streak, Campbell. And the matches. Ind-Zim, Pak-Aus, Aus-RSA(super 6s and semis!), Pak-RSA, RSA-Zim to name a few. :wtg:
^Seconded - another vote for '99 coming from me. The fascination surrounding the tournament was mainly due to the competition - it was a very open contest in which 3/4 teams had an equal chance of winning. Zimbabwe was fantastic in that tournament - i watched their match vs AUS in the super sixes, and they batted superbly, even though they couldn't match AUS' 300. Johnson scored one of the best hundreds you will ever see, and when he was there along with Murray Goodwin, ZIM looked like they would win. I can't forget Neil Johnson - he won three man of the match awards in that tournament alone ! Opened the bowling and batting for Zimbabwe...that matchwinning performance of his vs SA is arguably the greatest all-round performance ever in the tournament, certainly the best one i've ever seen. He scored 76 first up, guiding ZIM to 230 and then wrecked SA's top order by knocking off their best batsmen Kirsten, Kallis and Cronje

Re: Most enjoyable world cup Loved the '96 edition, probably because that was the age when I was most passionate about cricket and could devote a lot of time to watching the matches discussing them with friends, playing cricket etc. being in college. For the earlier editions I think being in school takes out a lot of joy. Specially the '92 WC which fell bang in the middle of my class X exams and for the later editions it has again been trying to squeeze out time for watching and enjoying them rather than things happening naturally.

Re: Most enjoyable world cup 1999, coz it was back home in India with lots of friends and booze The joy and sorrow was spread out, the India-pak match was a humdinger with people jumping up and down in joy Watched the final in a friends place who had cousins in Pakistan, as soon as the Pak innings were over, he called to tease them Never knew, we are gonna get the same taste in 2003

. This world cup had its bad moments like the rain rule and Pakistan despite being walloped in the first round by England going on to win the world cup thanks to destiny and stupid rain rules. Still the 1992 world cup was a first time for a lot of reasons.
wait, wait, wait! I think here it will be fair to also mention about the match vs SA where the rain rule cost PAK 2 points!

My favourite, amongst the ones that I've watched, has to be the '99 world cup. Low scoring games, quality bowling attacks(even England with an incredible Mullally was potent), awesome fielding and some absolute thrillers. Had it not been for that heart breaking 2 run defeat to Zim,we would have been in the semis. Pakistan were awesome in that world cup. Wasim was inspirational, Shoaib was fiery, Razzaq actually performed like an all rounder and Moin's late order hitting was a sight to watch(still remember that sweep off Donald). RSA's batting depth, with Zulu coming in at number 8, was unmatched. And their bowling: Donald,Pollock.Elworthy,Zulu and Kallis! Australia showed incredible resilience to reach the finals, after they were looking at an early exit following successive losses to Pak and NZ. Zimbos had probably their best team in history, with NJ opening the bowling and batting. Flower brothers, Strang, Streak, Campbell. And the matches. Ind-Zim, Pak-Aus, Aus-RSA(super 6s and semis!), Pak-RSA, RSA-Zim to name a few. :wtg:
Agree, that PAK AUS match was the last time AUS lost in the world cup :tired:

Agree, that PAK AUS match was the last time AUS lost in the world cup :tired:
..that too by 10 runs

. This world cup had its bad moments like the rain rule and Pakistan despite being walloped in the first round by England going on to win the world cup thanks to destiny and stupid rain rules. Still the 1992 world cup was a first time for a lot of reasons.
wait, wait, wait! I think here it will be fair to also mention about the match vs SA where the rain rule cost PAK 2 points!
Not true in my opinion. I watched that game and I blame your lousy openers Aamir big mouth Sohail and Zohaid Fazal . The weather was overcast and instead of accelerating , they played so slowly that they were around 70/2 in 20 odd overs when the rain kicked in. England were 24/1 in 8 overs and had to chase only 84 which they surely would have won and eliminated pakistan. So , you guys should consider yourself very lucky for winning WC 1992.

Not true in my opinion. I watched that game and I blame your lousy openers Aamir big mouth Sohail and Zohaid Fazal . The weather was overcast and instead of accelerating , they played so slowly that they were around 70/2 in 20 odd overs when the rain kicked in. England were 24/1 in 8 overs and had to chase only 84 which they surely would have won and eliminated pakistan. So , you guys should consider yourself very lucky for winning WC 1992.
PAK restricted SA to 211 in 50 overs and when the players returned after the rain the target for PAK was 194 of mere 36 overs. Now if that right there doesn't convince you that it was a ridiculously unfair target then nothing will!

PAK restricted SA to 211 in 50 overs and when the players returned after the rain the target for PAK was 194 of mere 36 overs. Now if that right there doesn't convince you that it was a ridiculously unfair target then nothing will!
And your point is ?Did you watch that match ? Again, you guys would have been thrashed by England , their is no ifs and buts in this case. You would have been eliminated. In the match against SA, you are completely ignoring my point , that is , the weather was overcast , and being fully aware of the stupid rain rules by now, your top order batsmen failed to accelerate in the start of the innings. They were 74/2 in 24 overs when it started raining. While I agree that Pakistan had more chances of winning this game , if it had not rained , it was not a sure shot win by any means unlike the situation with england. So , I don't know how you can assume 2 points from this match. BTW, even SA was cheated where they had to score 24 of 1 ball.