Has India gone backwards compared to 90s???

Re: Has India gone backwards compared to 90s??? Thanks Chandan, that was my question. Now can you guys pick one talent since 2000 (7 years has gone past) that is of truly international class? Sehwag is the last one I can remember that can be counted as a truly international class. The batting is still pretty much made up of the talents from the 90s. Anil Kumble is the lone spinner that has achieved much and he is from early 90s too. Now then if India has gone forward, where are the exceptional players? India produced excellent cricketers in the 90s as compared to now despite all the investment in the academy, coaches, domestic cricket and the rest.

Re: Has India gone backwards compared to 90s??? I see the point Ravi, but one reason here could be that the players introduced in the 90s have permanently hijacked their spots and prevented new crop of players from coming through. But OTOH the new crop havent really challenged the previous generation. :doh:

Re: Has India gone backwards compared to 90s???

India produced excellent cricketers in the 90s as compared to now despite all the investment in the academy, coaches, domestic cricket and the rest.
Thats just a hogwash! Nothing of that sort has been done. In fact they have been diluting the domestic cricket further by creating more and more associations/teams to get votes during election.

Thanks Chandan, that was my question. Now can you guys pick one talent since 2000 (7 years has gone past) that is of truly international class? Sehwag is the last one I can remember that can be counted as a truly international class. The batting is still pretty much made up of the talents from the 90s. Anil Kumble is the lone spinner that has achieved much and he is from early 90s too. Now then if India has gone forward, where are the exceptional players? India produced excellent cricketers in the 90s as compared to now despite all the investment in the academy, coaches, domestic cricket and the rest.
Talent ? IND have produced Sehwag and Yuvraj - two of the most talented batsmen ever seen in the history of Indian cricket. Suffice to say that both have been extremely successful in changing the general perception of Indian cricket with their combative nature. They haven't shared the limelight because guys from the 90's (ie; Ganguly, Dravid and Lax)reached their peak in this decade and took all the headlines. Now, none of them want to go quietly - hence the lack of potential successors. In bowling, i still maintain that IND have better bowlers than they ever did before. Sure, they haven't got a Srinath - but look at Zaheer, Nehra, and all the good bowlers who emerged. You've acknowledged this point already. As for the point on spinners, i find it really discredits Harbhajan Singh - who was a top class bowler for India in test and ODI cricket. He is arguably the greatest spinner this country has ever produced and he emerged in THIS decade. So, the answer to whether IND has gone backward is quite simply - no !

You've acknowledged this point already. As for the point on spinners' date=' i find it really discredits Harbhajan Singh - who was a top class bowler for India in test and ODI cricket. [b']He is arguably the greatest spinner this country has ever produced and he emerged in THIS decade. So, the answer to whether IND has gone backward is quite simply - no !
Er you gone nuts Preds? Too much pumping iron, you have lost it :hic: Good spinner yes. Greatest spinner India has ever produced??? Crazy statement :eek:

Re: Has India gone backwards compared to 90s??? Pred, Sehwag debuted in 2001, Yuvraj in 2000, and Harbhajan in '98. So we can hardly say these guys have emerged recently. Apart from that a number of batsmen have got opportunity at the ODI level but no one could grab it. No batsman is pushing the old boys. That was the point I suppose!

Re: Has India gone backwards compared to 90s??? They debuted then, but weren't established until later. Yuvraj didn't last long after his debut in '00 and only fully established himself on his recall during the Zimbabwe series at home in '02. Harbhajan debuted in '98 but only came into the picture back in '01 (he was held up for chucking prior to that). Sehwag as well had his debut in '99, but didn't find his niche until '02

Apart from that a number of batsmen have got opportunity at the ODI level but no one could grab it. No batsman is pushing the old boys. That was the point I suppose!
Well what do you expect, a new batsman and a bowler every year ? Not going to happen. Exceptional talents only emerge every 5 years or so. How many new batsmen even got an extended chance in ODI's ? I can count only Mongia who has played over 50 ODI's with little to show. The other batsmen who were touted as replacements for the big boys haven't got the chances to prove their worth. Gambhir was the most talented Indian batsman on the domestic scene back in '02 and since then he has played under 20 ODI's. Raina impressed a few times but was done away with relatively quickly. How do you expect new batsmen to come in when the old guard still hold considerable sway in selection ? I am sure this was a sore point for Greg Chappell when he was picking the WC squad

Re: Has India gone backwards compared to 90s??? But how he does overseas is yet to be seen. His first tour to SA was forgettable but that can be overlooked at SA is probably the most difficult place to tour! As a wicketkeeper, he is much worse that Mongia et al. Now how he does as a batsman in the test side is yet to be seen!

Re: Has India gone backwards compared to 90s??? As I alluded to in my earlier post on the thread, a lot has to do with opportunities. Not a lot of players were tried in tough enough conditions to see whether they are star material due to lack of opportunities in a pretty settled Indian team and a faulty selection policy. BTW, Yuvraj has done jack$hit in test matches so to count him as a success story is wrong.

Re: Has India gone backwards compared to 90s??? To quote Yuvraj Singh and Harbhajan as the world beaters is a joke. Yuvraj has done well in ODIs and only secured a full time test spot just about a year ago. Harbhajan is still not the first choice spinner. I won't call these two finds of this decade.

Well what do you expect, a new batsman and a bowler every year ? Not going to happen. Exceptional talents only emerge every 5 years or so.
OK let's take your yard stick, let's go back 5 years and see if India has produced one top class batter that has done exceedingly well in both formats of cricket. I'll leave it to you to name the player as I can't think of any.
How many new batsmen even got an extended chance in ODI's ? I can count only Mongia who has played over 50 ODI's with little to show. The other batsmen who were touted as replacements for the big boys haven't got the chances to prove their worth. Gambhir was the most talented Indian batsman on the domestic scene back in '02 and since then he has played under 20 ODI's. Raina impressed a few times but was done away with relatively quickly. How do you expect new batsmen to come in when the old guard still hold considerable sway in selection ? I am sure this was a sore point for Greg Chappell when he was picking the WC squad
Let me produce a list of batters, spinners and wicket keepers India has tried over the last 7-8 years : 1. Kaif 2. Raina 3. Dinesh Mongia 4. Gambhir 5. Murali Karthik 6. H Badani 7. V Dahiya 8. SS Das 9. Deepdasgupta 10. S Bangar 11. S Ramesh 12. R Sangvi (remembered from the 2001 OZ series) 13. Bahutule 14. Kulkarni 15. RS Sodhi 16. Jacob Martin 17. Connor Williams 18. Sarandeep Singh 19. Ajay Ratra 20. Parthiv Patel 21. W Jaffer 22. JP Yadav 23. A Chopra 24. Dheeraj Jadhav 25. Dinesh Karthik 26. S Sriram 27. Joginder Sharma 28. Venugopal Rao 29. Robin Uthappa 30. Dhoni You pick from the list the exceptional batting and spinning talent. We can then discuss in detail if Indian cricket is going forward at all.

Re: Has India gone backwards compared to 90s??? I can only say that we found Zaheer, Nehra (even for a brief while) Pathan (he'll be back, I'm sure), Munaf,and Sree. Balaji also shone in a series or two. So pacers are coming (they might not be exceptional) but no spinners or even more worringly, batters.

well the way list has been displayed.. that way we can numerous players of 90z too.. there were plenty inz and outz in 90z also..
True you can but you still could name Rahul Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman, Mongia, Kumble as the stand outs. Can we name few for this century that have reached similar heights?

Re: Has India gone backwards compared to 90s??? Sehwag is there, playing and has been playing since last 6 years. Is very much a hit and miss player. One 150+ score followed by at least 10-15 single digit score. You call that great?? :doh: Dravid had truly peaked after 5 years of international career. Sehwag has not! Raina?? Now do not joke. The guy could not face even one short delivery in SA and you expected him to become great?? Maybe on completely flat tracks against a bowling attack like Bermuda!! Venu?? What glimses of greatness did you see in him? I'm asking because I've watched his international matches as well as few of domestic ones too. Again very good at slaughtering an attack of Orissa but no match for even one international class bowler. Has he been sent in even a single A tour?