Why is SRT tense while getting to personal milestones?

I am amazed that Sachin, for all the experience he has, always has a tense look on his face while getting near milestones? I dont mean that it is bad, but after playing 400+ matches, it was still evident that he was quite nervous to reach that landmark(17000). Now dont tell me I m an anti-SRT:giggle: but I just want to know the reason.

Two years back. He was batting at Bristol i think in the 90s. He was getting out to 90s frequently that year. Commies kept talking about it. He was mistiming the ball, he was missing the ball. It was like it would take ages to get past 100. 28.1 Collingwood to Tendulkar, no run, full in length, on the off stump line, Tendulkar tries to punch it through the off-side ring but ends up mistiming it back to Collingwood 28.2 Collingwood to Tendulkar, no run, beaten on that paddle shot. Short of length and it went over middle stump, Tendulkar tried to lap it around the corner but didn''t connect 29.5 Flintoff to Tendulkar, no run, leans forward to dab a length delivery close on the off side, wants a single, but retreats after seeing Flintoff rush across. Wise decision. 30.2 Collingwood to Tendulkar, 2 runs, Full and swinging late, Tendulkar goes for a lofted stroke (mid-on is in), makes contact with the bottom-half of the bat and it balloons over mid-on and falls in no-man's land. 30.3 Collingwood to Tendulkar, no run, full in length and outside off, Tendulkar tried to carve it through cover point but doesn't connect. 30.4 Collingwood to Tendulkar, no run, slower one, ends up as a full toss, Tendulkar mistimes a drive to cover fine leg is in the circle. Collingwood is tempting Tendulkar to go for his paddle sweep. ton 31.3 Flintoff to Tendulkar, OUT, Would you believe it? Tendulkar has gone for 99. Done in by a screamer of a bouncer. It kicked up from short of length and reared shoulder high. Tendulkar tried to fend it away, got his hands in front of his face and the ball seemed to have gone off his arm guard -- though no conclusive evidence was available from television replays --- down the leg side for Prior to take it. They let out a huge appeal and the fatal finger goes up. Tendulkar looks bemused. A wry grin, a shake of head and he walks back. Did it brush the gloves? The replays don't confirm or deny that. SR Tendulkar c †Prior b Flintoff 99 (158m 112b 15x4 1x6) SR: 88.39 Commentary won't tell you much. But when i watched it live i could sense how nervous he was like a debutant.

i agree sachin gets carried away by the landmarks .. he should just play freely at this point in his career and not worry much about these things .. an example of this was visible in the last match itself .. once he got the 17 k , he just looked so relaxed and dominated the bowlers like the old sachin .. we need to see more of this ...

Its obviously prepostrous to even suggest that he plays for milestones, but its quite obvious that he does tighten up (slightly) when nearing landmarks. Little surprise in that though, given that he comes from the same 'Gurukul' that had arguably the biggest stat-hound in the history of the game, Sunil Gavaskar, as its head-master. So, that old-school mentality still lurks in him and rears its ugly head every once in a while.

Its obviously prepostrous to even suggest that he plays for milestones' date=' but its quite obvious that he does tighten up (slightly) when nearing landmarks. Little surprise in that though, given that he comes from the same 'Gurukul' that had arguably the biggest stat-hound in the history of the game, Sunil Gavaskar, as its head-master. So, that old-school mentality still lurks in him and rears its ugly head every once in a while.[/quote'] You are damn right. Sunny gavaskar. He was going over the top about 17k and annoying me no end with his celebration. For once i was expecting him to talk about how India would become no.1 side for a very long side if they win. He didn't say a word about it.
You are damn right. Sunny gavaskar. He was going over the top about 17k and annoying me no end with his celebration. For once i was expecting him to talk about how India would become no.1 side for a very long side if they win. He didn't say a word about it.
Gavaskar talking about victory? Are you kidding? But happily, most batsmen of our present generation give two hoots about milestones. The trend was set by Viru and has just been continued by guys like Gambhir and Dhoni. Those Sehwag sixes of Saqlan to get to double and triple 100 at Multan, that Gambhir six off Watson to get to his 100 against Australia last year.. Those are sights that warm the heart of millions of passionate Indian cricket fans..
You are damn right. Sunny gavaskar. He was going over the top about 17k and annoying me no end with his celebration. For once i was expecting him to talk about how India would become no.1 side for a very long side if they win. He didn't say a word about it.
He was the first to 11,000 runs He was the first to 12,000 runs He was the first to 13,000 runs He was the ....... STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He was the first to 11,000 runs He was the first to 12,000 runs He was the first to 13,000 runs He was the ....... STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: I know .. that was so ****ing annoying but thanks to allah to he didnt applaud every run since each run created a new record :wall:
Commentary won't tell you much. But when i watched it live i could sense how nervous he was like a debutant.
16001 runs 16002 runs 16003 runs That is what makes it so stupid. Every run he scores he is breaking his own record. What is the big deal.
Speaking of debutants and hundeds, did anyone see Phillip Hughes getting his maiden test century? 37.5 Harris to Hughes, SIX, talk about guts! Hughes seizes on another juicy flighted delivery and launches Harris downtown over long-on 37.6 Harris to Hughes, SIX, this young man's lived up to the hype! He takes a couple of paces down the track and lofts him with the turn and deposits the ball on the grass embankment over deep midwicket, Hughes take a bow! All the Australians are up on their feet Truly an awesome way to do it! Yeah it seems so odd to me making such a big deal. Like when Warne got 'WICKET NUMBER 700!'. I mean he was the first to do so, but he was also the first to get 701, 702 etc etc. I guess it's just a nice even number to make a huge deal about. In a way kind of like a century. In the context of the game 99 is just as important as 100, but you don't get to jump around when you make it to 99. In relation to the question I reckon it would be understandable to feel a bit of pressure. Thousands of people just came to see him make it, he would hate to dissapoint them.
You have a man here who batted an entire ODI innings of 60 overs and remained unbeaten on 36. I think that really tells you all you need to know about him, in terms of his priorities on a cricket field. But coming back to Sachin's milestone the other day, what I found most inexplicable was Gavaskar's almost child-like obsession with numbers. Its like how kids go after candy..'I want one candy, two candie, no three candies. For eff's sake, Sachin had just scored 17,000 runs in ODI cricket. Thats 17,000 runs worth of hard-work, dedication, passion and comittment to the game. Yet, Gavaskar did not spend a moment talking about any of that. Instead, his mindless drooling over the insignificant numbers in my opinion, trivialized Sachin's contribution to Indian cricket as a whole.