Intel Pays A.M.D. $1.25 Billion to Settle Legal Disputes

DeXteR

The giant chip maker Intel, facing antitrust challenges around the world, agreed Thursday to pay $1.25 billion to settle its long-running dispute with its smaller rival, Advanced Micro Devices, whose legal actions against Intel set off government investigations in Europe, the United States and Asia. Complete Story:http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/technology/companies/13chip.html?_r=3&hp

Can some HW knowledgeable person enlighten us on how AMD gets away by copying what Intel does and then sue and get more money?
They got an x86 license from Intel and hence can use IA. The lawsuit is based on the premise that Intel sweet talked vendors (like Dell and others) into picking Intel chips over AMD by giving deals that are too good to resist. Intel says it did not do anything unfair while AMD *****es and moans and begs to do anything out of the deep debt that it is in. BTW, the ex AMD CEO Ruiz is soon going to be behind bars for insider trading :giggle: t1d: I know him, I know SRT too, the pity is they dont know me :D jk i am just one small fish in the ocean

They got an x86 license from Intel and hence can use IA. The lawsuit is based on the premise that Intel sweet talked vendors (like Dell and others) into picking Intel chips over AMD by giving deals that are too good to resist. Intel says it did not do anything unfair while AMD *****es and moans and begs to do anything out of the deep debt that it is in. BTW, the ex AMD CEO Ruiz is soon going to be behind bars for insider trading :giggle: t1d: I know him, I know SRT too, the pity is they dont know me :D jk i am just one small fish in the ocean
Looks like they signed a cross-licensing deal now as part of the settlement. Is Intel licensing the x-64 from AMD then?

If Intel engaged in anti-competition practices, it has to pay the regulators a fine (like say the EU Trade Commission or something). Why is paying AMD a fine? Companies generally pay each other only when there is some sort of Intellectual property rights infringement, not for anti-competition practices.

If Intel engaged in anti-competition practices' date=' it has to pay the regulators a fine (like say the EU Trade Commission or something). [b']Why is it paying AMD a fine? Companies generally pay each other only when there is some sort of Intellectual property rights infringement, not for anti-competition practices.
My guess would be that Intel is trying to silence AMD, in the hopes that AMD will not put pressure on governments to actually carry out full fledged anti-trust investigation. So rather than face the government, pay fines and get prolonged bad publicity, they are paying off AMD.