Celebrating Sachin Tendulkar's 20 glorious years [Update: 28th year]

Chandan

November 15, 2009 will be the day when Sachin will complete 20th year in international cricket. I'll request everyone to write something or post few images as a tribute to this phenomenal journey which is still going on. I'm posting an interview which came out in HT:

The early years

Pradeep Magazine, Hindustan Times

November 09, 2009

First Published: 23:11 IST(9/11/2009)

Last Updated: 01:19 IST(10/11/2009)

After two decades of international cricket, what childhood memories come back to you most vividly? Those images would be that of playing for India, before that would be playing with my friends in my building where I wanted to be the best. I was nine or 10 then, we played with tennis balls and I liked accepting challenges.

Challenges like? I was the top-scorer in our age-group events and when I was 10, a couple of my friends challenged me to face a guy of about 22-23 without pads with a seasoned ball (a proper cricket ball). I straightaway said, ‘why won’t I be able to do it, what’s the big deal’! I faced him and managed quite well.

What was the atmosphere like at home? Did they not mind your playing the whole day? They gave me a lot of freedom, especially my father. My brother was instrumental in making everything possible. Father was very understanding, he would give the green signal, but the ideas were definitely my brother’s.

Did your father believe you were good enough to play for India? He encouraged me. The first year of school cricket was not that big for me. In the second year, I managed to score a hundred and I believed I was good enough.

Did you idolise anyone? I was a huge (John) McEnroe fan and of (Viv) Richards and (Sunil) Gavaskar.

Why didn’t tennis become an option? All my friends and people from 0 to 45 watched Wimbledon. I remember them backing Bjorn Borg but I rooted for McEnroe. mmez6c.jpg

Why then did you opt for cricket? I don’t know, I mean...maybe it was that one could manage to play together and cricket did not require a tennis court or whatever. Cricket just needed three stumps, bat and ball and you could play anywhere.

At what stage did you realise you could make it big and play for India? When I scored my first inter-school hundred, I thought this is something special and if I can do something like this on a regular basis, then things can change.

Where did you get this confidence, even at that age — to believe you would make it big and when just 16, the way you faced one of the best pace attacks ever in the world (Waqar, Wasim and Imran)?

Yeah, I probably was just confident about my abilities and, as I said earlier, I like accepting challenges — that could be one of the reasons. zslo4y.jpg

At any point, when you were a child, did you think you wouldn’t be able to make it to the Indian team? While playing, I definitely did not think I wouldn’t make it. I was not overconfident, but somehow I knew that one day I would play for India. It was just a question of when but I knew I would play for India.

rwo03m.jpg

Did you ever think that one day you would do to the world what you were doing to your friends in your backyard? Honestly, I did not think that far. I felt I had to be considered as one of the top players to play this game.

When you failed in your debut, did you feel upset? Definitely. I felt bad, started doubting my ability and started wondering ‘do I really belong here?’ I felt I was too tense, too nervous. Everything fell out of place. I was not so sure.

Was that your first failure in life? Yeah, I mean it was a different ballgame altogether. I mean you are going to play Ranji and then you are going to play top-class bowling in the world, Wasim (Akram), Imran (Khan) on helpful tracks. It was a fresh experience.

How did things change for you? When I was picked to play the 2nd Test, I told myself, come what may, I will hang around…I’m not going to accept defeat, I’m going to stay there. I spoke to a lot of guys in the team, they said, stay there for the first 20 minutes, thing would get easier, and it actually happened. I started feeling normal, my nerves started to calm down and I could see the ball better. My footwork was better; my state of mind was better. After that, I scored 59 in my 2nd innings, which was the first innings of the 2nd Test. After that I believed ‘yes I can’. f4n42f.jpg

Sachin is perfect: VVS Laxman My favourite Sachin innings In ODIs, I’d choose the Sharjah century against Australia in 1998; I was the non-striker and watched it from up close. In Tests, the 1996-97 Cape Town hundred is a personal favourite, and for different reasons the double-hundred in Sydney, where he was so much in control of his game plan. For emotional reasons, two Chennai tons: Pakistan in 1999 and recently against England, where he hit the winning runs. His greatest strength From a batting point of view: balance. This helps him pick the length and get in position quickly. Then there’s the hunger for runs. Most importantly, even after so many years, he prepares with such intensity for each match, each situation. The work he puts in, the attention to detail, sets him apart. Sachin and me What stands out is the person. The achievements , the laurels, the expectations, everyone wants a piece of him ... the way he carries himself is a lesson. His respect for elders, how he encourages youngsters, his family values. A weakness? I can’t think of one. He’s perfect. He was born and made to play cricket. My message for Sachin I just wish him all the best and hope he carries on for as long as possible. The longer he carries on, the better it is for Indian cricket. The encouragement, input and help he brings to the dressing-room are things that make a huge difference. LINK

A tribute from close friend Ricky Couto up close & personal - HOPPINGO/BATTINGO, VADA-PAV AND BATTING TO STAY OUT OF SCHOOL Ricky Couto Let me be honest. Shardashram Vidya Mandir (SVM) was all about cricket for some of us. Sachin, Vinod (Kambli ) and I, had specifically moved to the school to play cricket, on the advice of (Ramakant) Achrekar sir. We were not interested in studies and it showed; Sachin averaged about 50 % in exams. We were talkative, mischievous and often got punished for throwing ink on others. We also formed a gang in school that others were wary of. Some kids were so scared of being beaten up that they would not leave the school premises till we were gone. Our Physical Training and Chemistry teachers were very strict, and sometimes threw a duster at us. Sachin, like any other schoolboy, would say `sorry'. Now the teachers proudly say they punished Sachin in school. iddkx0.jpg Sachin was very good at table tennis and whenever he had time off he used to play in the car park. Another game we played a lot was one we called Hoppingo/Battingo -- a game where one had the right to beat his mate if he didn't say hoppingo/battingo before sitting/standing. Most of the time, I was at the receiving end. He plays the game even today with his best pals, surprising many in the dressing room. We loved to skip classes at the pretext of playing cricket. Sharadashram used to give us leave for cricket and even if a match was to end on the first day with very less to achieve, Sachin and Vinod would bat the day out to take the game into the next day, so that we would get a full day's leave. They'd finish the match early and we all would go for Hindi movies. Sachin raised the toast at my wedding. While giving his speech, he said he was as nervous as he was during his Test debut. (Ricky and Sachin were back-benchers at SVM from Standard VII to X). A tribute by Leander Paes 2dguahg.jpg It takesone to knowone - I took him on and he beat me hollow! To me, longevity is the hallmark of greatness and Sachin epitomises that. That's talking pure sport. But when we begin to judge greatness as a human being, then anyone's greatest asset is humility. Sachin's poise and composure in the face of constant public scrutiny is remarkable, in fact, it's almost superhuman. Over the years, I have met him a number of times but the one interaction ingrained in my mind is the time we spent together at the Taj Exotica in Goa. It was December 2000 and we had gone down there for an Adidas commercial. Now, I earn my living from my skill with a racquet and consider myself pretty good at most racquet games. So I was not really too bothered about being able to hold my own when Sachin challenged me to a game of table tennis. I went in confident, but in a short while I was shellshocked. The man has incredible skill with the paddle and his reflexes are razor sharp. He literally destroyed me. Neither of us is known for giving up easy. What began as fun became a fierce contest of wills and we played over 30 games. I won about 10. The incredible bit was his ambidexterity. He could rip winning smashes with either hand! I am convinced that he would have been world-class no matter what sport he played. Cricket is lucky he chose to redefine that particular sport.

wow. Thats a good interview Ludh, not seen that one. You hear it said that he was 16 etc on debut, but its only when you see him so small makes you realise how young he was. Blimey, 16!!
erm yeah really havent seen it. I iz ashamed. call myself a fan, its disgraceful.
I have to agree with that last line, SORRY :yes: I have seen that video at least 100 times! minimum... The first line he says in that video is my favorite line in the entire universe "oh, I think it's just a start" The god seemed to know that w/e people are jamming about him at that point of time was nothing compared to what is stored in the future :hail:
wow. Thats a good interview Ludh, not seen that one. You hear it said that he was 16 etc on debut, but its only when you see him so small makes you realise how young he was. Blimey, 16!!
My favourite part of the interview is the way he pronounces bat. He says 'bat-tah'. It's almost as if he's mentally playing a shot when saying the word, hence the 'tah' addition, which is similar to the sound the bat makes when striking the ball.
My favourite part of the interview is the way he pronounces bat. He says 'bat-tah'. It's almost as if he's mentally playing a shot when saying the word' date=' hence the 'tah' addition, which is similar to the sound the bat makes when striking the ball.[/quote'] He still says bat the same way he did 20 years ago :dance: find any of his videos (post match presentations/interviews etc.) and you will realize that he still pronounces bat the same way :yes: what amazes me the most is that the interviewer is white and yet he pronounces all Indian names properly...:cheer:

making of the legend :hail: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5RSm1EXRJM]YouTube- 1of4 Tendulkar-Making of a legend[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABgzgHyAzyc]YouTube- 2of4 Tendulkar making of a legend[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4MSsfvGBOs]YouTube- 3of4 Tendulkar Making of a legend[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQgK5cg2JvI]YouTube- 4of4 Tendualkar making of a legend[/ame] I think now they can add another 30-60 minutes to this series "making of the legend" :hail:

Here is the second part of the interview that I posted in OP. THOSE WONDER YEARS - A LEGEND IS BORN PART II Don Bradman once said that Tendulkar's batting style was closest to his own. Here, Sachin talks cricket 11j0y7a.jpg Pradeep Magazine ( pradeepmagazine@gmail.com ) When you look back today, what do you think was the turning point of your career, in terms of international stardom and becoming what you wanted? I think my first Test hundred in England when I was 17, it kept us alive in the series. If you do well in England or Australia, the world takes note. Immediately after, in Australia, I scored two hundreds, on different surfaces, one in Sydney and the other on the bouncy wicket of Perth. nwiobb.jpg You still rate the Perth one as your best? Yes, one of the tops. Because of the quality of the innings or because you were so young? Not age, but I think, the quality of attack, the kind of surface we played on... given the circumstances, what I was able to achieve. Did you set yourself targets once you knew you were here to stay? I would sort of set targets, but would obviously keep them to myself. What sorts of targets would you set at that time? It depended on that particular series or the kind of bowling attack -- what I was going to achieve, the contribution to the team... all those factors were taken into consideration in setting a goal. I would look to achieve that. At that time, did you ever feel you had shortcomings on fast tracks against pace and needed to improve? By God's grace I have not felt uncomfortable in facing a particular attack. I felt I was in a position to tackle anything and everything. But at the same time, I took nothing for granted. I prepared to the best of my ability. How did it feel to be talked about as the boy who would become the greatest? It felt wonderful. I took confidence from all the positive statements made about me and with the help of that confidence I looked to climb the ladder. I would only look at the positives and not worry about negatives. Every individual will have faults, I would rather... I used my strengths, my energy in the right direction. I would think of factors that would help me contribute. I took that confidence along whenever I went out to bat. I did not read any newspaper -- I sort of avoided reading them! Which bowlers did you admire, who troubled you the most? I always felt that the Australians have been the leading side of the world and to do well against them was a great challenge, something I looked forward to. rsv5gz.jpg Any names? Who would you say is the finest bowler of your time? There have been many, I would say, right from first series. Wasim, Waqar, Imran, Qadir... the second series saw Richard Hadllee; then Angus Fraser, Devon Malcolm, then we went to South Africa and it was Alan Donald. In Australia (Craig) McDermott really bowled well. If you had to rate one bower? It is tough to single out one bowler, you know there have been so many greats, all the guys with more than 400 wickets -- it is difficult. It is up to an individual to rate them because he feels that way about them. So from your perspective? Probably, (pauses, takes a lot of time) like, probably (pauses again) hmmm... (Glenn) McGrath would be the most accurate one. Also the most troublesome for you? Yeah, I have scored hundreds against him but he is probably the one who... You demonstrated your anger, something so rare, while attacking him once. Was it because of his calibre as a bowler? It was sort of a strategy actually. This happened only once, in Kenya in the Champions Trophy (2001). We won the toss and batted. The way he bowled the first over, Sourav was captain and I told him that this strategy might work, I told him to let me execute it, go after him and get into a little bit of a verbal battle. Basically unsettle him and not allow him to bowl where he wanted to. And it succeeded... It succeeded, because I hit him for three sixes. What makes you such an outstanding all-surface player? Your game and style of play moulds itself around the nature of the wicket. I don't know, I always discussed the kind of surface and all that with my brother (Ajit). His inputs have all always helped. Even today, I discuss cricket with him. His inputs are invaluable. If a wicket is hard and pacy, you play on the rise, if it is slow and turning, you use your wrists more often. Is this your greatest ability, apart from technical skills? It's a little difficult for me to answer this -- the opposition would be better placed to do so. A batsman looks to play according to the surface, and adjust according to it. That is what I tried to do. I have adopted a defensive strategy when I could be a little more patient, sometimes I decide to counterattack and take on the opposition. For a man who hates being second best, will not being a successful long-term captain be a sore point in your career? Not really, not really, absolutely not. At no stage was I fond of captaincy. I have always been fond of playing. It really does not matter, as captaincy is not about an individual. It is about the team. It has a lot to do with other members of the team. You mean you did not have a good enough team under you? The team was definitely good. But if I have to compare today, then we definitely have more match winners now. (IN PART III, HE LOOKS AT WHAT LIES AHEAD, PERSONALLY & CRICKET-WISE) DID YOU KNOW A believer in Ganpati, Sachin goes to the Siddhivinayak temple in Prabhadevi, Mumbai, generally after midnight. THE LITTLE MASTER IN NUMBERS ehyj4.jpg 185 The number of ODIs he played between April 1990 and April 1998, a world record. 523 Is the number of runs he scored in the '96 World Cup -- the highest in the edition. 4The number of times (1994, 1996, 1997 and 1998) he scored over 1000 ODI runs in a calendar year. 2i7ti8m.jpgrvf2b7.jpg