'I ended career with an edge over Sachin'

http://cricket.expressindia.com/fulleistory.php?content_id=86022 'I ended career with an edge over Sachin' New Delhi, May 5: Glenn McGrathRetired Australian pacer Glenn McGrath claimed he ended his career with an edge over old enemy Sachin Tendulkar, often succeeding in forcing the Indian to change his gameplan. McGrath, who quit cricket after winning his third straight World Cup, admitted bowling against a player of the calibre of Tendulkar or Brian Lara--two of the best batsmen of the modern era--needed to raise his game by a few notches but claimed he often prevailed over both the batsmen. "I enjoyed bowling to Sachin and getting him out or changing his gameplan or just tying him up. You tend to lift your game a bit when you are bowling to guys like that and I felt I did," McGrath told a TV channel. With Australia proving invincible in the World Cup, McGrath felt other cricketing nations needed to lift their standard if they were to beat the world champions. "I think the other teams will learn a lot by watching the current Australian team at the moment. It's up to them to put things in place and really lift, and work out to beat this Australian team," said McGrath, who was adjudged Player of the Tournament at the World Cup. McGrath was non-committal about taking up the mentor's role with the Australian cricket team and also ruled out re-considering his decision to quit even though he felt fit enough to continue for another couple of years. "It's everything that goes with it, the time away from home, the travel, the training and everything else. Now I want to spend more time at home with my wife Jane and my two kids. They are growing up, James is 7, my daughter Holly is 5, so they are getting older and I want to spend more time with them," McGrath said.

Re: 'I ended career with an edge over Sachin' Glenn is probably the ONLY bowler in this world whom no batsman can claim to have gotten the better of. Even the other great bowlers like Shane , Murali had peopl like Laxman , Pieterson , Lara who got the bettr of him , but Mcgrath had the edge over all of them , every single time. Come to think of it guys , going beyond just numbers , Mcgrath could become the greatest fast bowler ever.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: 'I ended career with an edge over Sachin' KP can stake claim to that.. Glenn mcgratwas caned by him more often than not

Re: 'I ended career with an edge over Sachin' ^^ Thats right. KP is the only batsman i have seen dominate McWarne. Lara & Tendu never dominated McGrath by any stretch of imagination. They had their moments against McGrath briefly, but Pidge owned both of them consistently over long periods of time. In SRT's case, he himself admitted that he had shown too much respect (more than he deserves) for McGrath (he played out 6 consec maiden overs in the 1999 series). KP backed himself & used a Viv like approach (wanted to dominate the best), against McWarne. Hence his success.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: 'I ended career with an edge over Sachin' Tendu did own him in mid to let ninties .. the era where he used to beat aussies single-handedly.........I have seen him caning mcgrath despite all the efforts of fcuknor and company in series down under..

Guest dada_rocks

Re: 'I ended career with an edge over Sachin' he was man of the series in lost series despite being fcuknored 3-4 times so he must have owned him.

Re: 'I ended career with an edge over Sachin'

he was man of the series in lost series despite being fcuknored 3-4 times so he must have owned him.
Not at all. Thats the series he played out 6 consec maidens of McG. Infact when Vaughan called him later for tips, SRT himself admitted he paid too much respect for McG. SRT played him well is how i would put it, domination is what he did in the 1996 worldcup game vs Aus or the Nairobi Mini world cup game. Such games are so few & far between & only in ODIs. In games that mattered OTOH (1999 world cup must win game, 2003 world cup finals, ICC CT'06, KualaLampur to name a few), McG has either tied him up or knocked him over.

he was man of the series in lost series despite being fcuknored 3-4 times so he must have owned him.
x2 Also McGrath's disgust in the 96 WC match says it all. SRT had better of him on quite a few occasions during the 90s even with given shoulder before wicket among few other gems of umpiring genius. But of course after 2002 McGrath has had better of SRT. So he isn't wrong in saying that.

Re: 'I ended career with an edge over Sachin' i think with the exception of VVS Laxman and Ramnaresh Sarwan, no other batsman has managed to get the better of McGrath. Tendulkar did have his moments, and though we won each time Tendulkar got stuck into McGrath, the number of time McGrath outfoxed Tendulkar is more than the other way round and hence i think this confrontation has been decisively settled in favor of McGrath. Nevertheless, i dont know of another bowler who can claim the same. That includes our dopehead neighbors.

Glenn is probably the ONLY bowler in this world whom no batsman can claim to have gotten the better of. Even the other great bowlers like Shane , Murali had peopl like Laxman , Pieterson , Lara who got the bettr of him , but Mcgrath had the edge over all of them , every single time. Come to think of it guys , going beyond just numbers , Mcgrath could become the greatest fast bowler ever.
Well VVS did humble him consistently, but nonetheless there is little debate invovled with the last statement. McGrath will forever be remembered as the greatest fast bowler ever. For a time it seemed Pollock might get there too, but not anymore. I wish Donald had played a bit longer.