Be patient, says Dr Shastri

Be patient, says Dr Shastri TIMES NEWS NETWORK / Kushan Sarkar KOLKATA, May 6: For someone who batted at No 11 on his debut Test and went on to establish himself as an opener, Ravi Shastri showed what hard work and single-minded determination can achieve. The gutsy Mumbaikar, with his unconventional yet effective approach, managed to carve a niche for himself in an era when Indian cricket was ruled by Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar. On Sunday, the newly-appointed cricket manager addressed the media at the Eden Gardens on the eve of the Indian team's departure for Bangladesh. His answers were inimitable, typical of the street smart-cricketer he was in his hey days. Excerpts... On India's World Cup debacle I do not like to dwell on the past; neither do I like to look too far ahead. I believe in focusing on the present. That's exactly what we are trying to do. The Bangladesh series will be a big challenge and the boys are ready for it. In whatever sphere you compete, you need to enjoy your work. On the fissures in the team I read a lot of things in the media before taking up this job. After watching them only for an hour, I realised that I am working with a brilliant bunch of players. The camaraderie is fantastic. It's just that we should respect their privacy. On Rahul Dravid's injury He is a tough cookie. Don't worry, we expect him to be fit before the first ODI. His condition is being constantly monitored. This is a sport and anybody can get injured. On Sachin Tendulkar This guy has given his everything to the country for the past 16 years. We should learn to respect his achievements. Trust me, he is still hungry for more. Not only Sachin, it's also true about the likes of Virender Sehwag and Sourav Ganguly. Be patient with them. On Sourav Ganguly I know Sourav since he was a young cricketer. I have been his captain for many years for our office team Tata Steel. I have seen him mature. He still has a lot of cricket left in him. On the support staff Greg (trainer Gregory Allen King) and John (physio John Gloster) are true professionals and have been with the team long enough to know what's good for the players. Venkatesh Prasad and Robin Singh were very dedicated cricketers in their time and they are putting in a lot of hard work. Robin is a hard task-master. On the gains from the camp The primary gain is that we have identified the pool of around 27 players who will be required in the next 15 months with India having a tight international itinerary. We will require fresh legs in the course of the season. There is a healthy competition among the players, which is a big plus. On the camp bowlers There is no question about their talent. Otherwise they wouldn't have been in the camp. On the absence of Sachin, Sourav in the One-dayer I am happy with team that has been given to me. That's all. About Ravi Shastri, 'the manager' You are free to ask the boys what they feel after the Bangladesh tour's over.

Re: Be patient, says Dr Shastri Ravi Shastri is a smart alec...the guy will give all these pleasing sound bytes to the media and comfortably get back to the air conditioned commentary box after the BD tour....I could care less about his time with the team.