TV channel's sting 'reveals' divided Indian team

TV channel's sting 'reveals' divided Indian team Cricinfo staff May 8, 2007 Indian cricket appeared to be heading for another controversy with a TV channel broadcasting what it claimed were revelations by the national selectors of infighting, ego-driven politics and factionalism in the dressing room. The "revelations" were part of a sting operation carried out by Headlines Today and its Hindi sister channel, Aaj Tak, which spoke to four national selectors - Ranjib Biswal, Bhupinder Singh, Sr, Venkatapathy Raju and Sanjay Jagdale, the last-named also the team manager at the World Cup. There were two broad themes to the revelations in the sting: factionalism within the team, and Greg Chappell's performance as coach. "Greg wanted to show everybody he is the boss. He was not happy with anybody," Bhupinder Singh sr, the North Zone selector, was quoted as saying. "There were instances when Chappell was not talking to senior players for 4-5 days. He was not on talking terms with Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Harbhajan Singh. It happened in South Africa (where India toured in December-January)." He also said that Chappell adopted a "divide and rule policy" and was the additional ego in a team full of egos. "Greg could not understand Indian cricketers' psyche. He was more like a schoolmaster than a friend," Ranjib Biswal, the East Zone selector, said. The sting also raised alleged problems that Dravid had with Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly. They were not supporting Dravid, says Bhupinder; some players were backing Tendulkar, some Ganguly. "They are sensing (sic) that if he fails then we have a chance to become captain." "I won't call it factionalism but there were some personal problems," said Sanjay Jagdale, who was also quoted as saying that Sreesanth and Zaheer Khan had fought in the dressing room. The sting also featured Niranjan Shah, the board's secretary, who spoke on the role of sponsorship and endorsements. "Endorsement money is so huge, there is a chance of a grey area. They will get money if they are in the team, otherwise they won't. That's why. it [pressure from sponsors to retain them] may be there. That's why the board has said only three endorsements per player." The Board for Control of Cricket in India was yet to react officially to the revelations. "Let me watch the whole thing and then I will comment," one top BCCI official told Cricinfo. "In these sting operations video and audio can sometimes be doctored so we have to wait and see whether these are authentic or not. It would not be correct for the BCCI to make any comment at this stage."

Re: TV channel's sting 'reveals' divided Indian team

The Board for Control of Cricket in India was yet to react officially to the revelations. "Let me watch the whole thing and then I will comment," one top BCCI official told Cricinfo. "In these sting operations video and audio can sometimes be doctored so we have to wait and see whether these are authentic or not. It would not be correct for the BCCI to make any comment at this stage."
yea... doctored....hehe... jus shut up and accept the truth...

Jeez ' date=' Do we really need a sting operation for this to come out ?. Looks like Tendukar hasn't forgiven Rahul for declaring at 196.[/quote'] it was 194

Re: TV channel's sting 'reveals' divided Indian team this is the biggest pile of horseshit i have ever seen. sting operation my ass. bunch of money-hungry whoring excuses for journalists twisting, turning and exploiting every and any quote as far out of context as possible.

Re: TV channel's sting 'reveals' divided Indian team Get on with it folks, they are not of the same family and there is bound to be some cracks after the world cup debacle. I think the media should stop the blaming game now that it's done and dusted. I think everyone should focus on the future.

Re: TV channel's sting 'reveals' divided Indian team DHAKA: Rahul Dravid on Wednesday said he had received full support from Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly during the World Cup, dismissing reports that the two players had undermined his leadership. "To be honest with you, I felt I had as much support as I needed. I was very happy with the team that I had and the support that I had. Other than that I really don't know what it is and what it is all about," Dravid told newspersons on the eve of India's first ODI against Bangladesh. In a television sting operation, four of the five national selectors were caught claiming that Tendulkar and Ganguly did not cooperate with Dravid in the World Cup and were dropped from the Bangladesh tour for that reason. However, refusing to attach much importance to the sting operation, Dravid said, "I am not going to react on these sting operations or any of this stuff." When mentioned that the quotes were attributed to a national selector, the Karnataka batsman said, "I haven't seen anything and I cannot comment on everything that somebody says." In the expose, four national selectors - Bhupinder Singh Sr., Ranjib Biswal, Venkatapathy Raju and Sanjay Jagdale - had also claimed that ex-coach Greg Chappell followed a divide and rule policy and had largely blamed him for India's World Cup debacle. One of them had also claimed that Chappell did not talk to senior players like Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Harbhajan Singh for days on the tour of South Africa last year.

Re: TV channel's sting 'reveals' divided Indian team HS, please don't bother with the truth, it doesn't count, thanks. There will always be some argument in a group people, I wanna know how many married people didn't have arguments with their spouses. And the arguments could easily be about the role of GC and may be some thought players should stand upto the bully. But let them ring out as much juice as possible out of their distorted view of 194 incident.

Re: TV channel's sting 'reveals' divided Indian team Sanjay Jagdale: "There is so much sponsor money involved & people whose money is involved have spoilt the game" Thats Jagdale's exact quote. Niranjan Shah too has said something similar in the video posted by Rajeev. Bhupinder's quotes are more direct & shocking. Tho he may not have as much credibility as Shah & Jagdale. I consider both Jagdale (Manager of the team) & Shah (who manages the communications for BCCI) to be authentic sources. We can go ahead & bury our heads in the sand & not believe a word that is printed in the media. But the reality is we are stuck with a bunch of spoilt prima donnas, who will pawn this team to advance their personal needs

I cant even make out what these guys are saying in the tapes' date=' forget about seeing their faces and ascertaining if they are the selectors themselves.[/quote'] It appears to be a covert taping operation a' la Tehelka's match fixing coverage. No BCCI official has so far come out & denied what was quoted by Aaj Tak. I wont take these quotes as 100% true. But i wouldnt dismiss them either.
Guest dada_rocks

Re: TV channel's sting 'reveals' divided Indian team Underlying assuptions is that these folks involved in sting operation have way with words and understanding of the dressing room dynamics.. For all that's worth the argument on some issue mighthave ben takne by these neanderthals called selctors as some sort of deep malice. People waiting to put two and two together brought out the inning declaration of past to add fuel to the fire and there u go u got something out of nothing.