Official ICFans match report - India vs Bangladesh 1st ODI

King

If anyone's willing to write the match report for the next few games let me know. India Huff-Puff to ODI victory, Dhoni ?Karthik combination works wonders If anyone thought it was a revenge game and India was going to blast away then they need a rethink. This new Bangladesh outfit under the departing Dave Whatmore is an improved lot and don?t fret in the face of a contest. The new ground at Mirpur looked a good set up but the rain gods weren?t willing for a full game. The game was delayed by about half an hour due to drizzle in the morning. Every nook and corner of the ground was occupied and it was fantastic to see crowd turn up in huge numbers. It was particularly refreshing to see the crowd turn out in good numbers after having witnessed the dismally organized ICC event, ?The world cup? and the crowd turn out at ?The? global cricketing event. The crowd deserves three cheers for turning up in good numbers despite leaving the ground when India had about 19 runs to get off 20 balls. The groundsmen were seen working hard and looked pretty organized. The ground also seemed to have good drainage facility and luckily enough the game was shortened only by 6 overs in all. Winning the toss, Habibul Bashar had no second thoughts about what he was going to do and decided to bat. India went with 3 fast bowlers and a full time spinner in Ramesh Powar. Meanwhile Bangladesh went with the tried and test 3 spin bowling option. They were not helped by the fact that their ace bowler Mushrafe wasn?t available for selection. Bangladesh started in excellent fashion with Tamim Iqbal off to a flying start. Tamim was very severe on anything full and drove the Indian bowlers with ease. Sreesanth showed a lot of fire both with his bowling and words. Not once to back down, he gave his piece of mind more times than the number of balls he bowled in the game. Zaheer meanwhile struggled to hit the length and sprayed quite often. Shastri backed Dinesh Mongia finally got the first wicket for India in the 17th over by looping one up in the air. Tamim not able to control his usual aggressive self, pressed the self destruct button by hoiking Mongia straight to long leg for Sehwag to hang on to a sitter. Habibul Bashar failed to walk the talk again and holed out to Gambhir at mid off, off Powar. Saqibul Hasan and Javed Omar then set about to put together an excellent 107 runs partnership for the 3rd wicket albeit a little too slow. Bangladesh accelerated towards the end but a target of 251 didn?t seem too daunting on a pitch that helped batting more than bowling. Fielding was quite dismal for India and about 10-20 runs were leaked in the field thanks to some uninspiring fielding. Bangladesh batters weren?t up to the task of running well and must have rued the fact they missed out running on lot of singles. Sreesanth after having bowled good 5 overs only conceding 14 runs walked away with an injury. Munaf did a decent job with keeping the runs down. Zaheer struggled through out to hit good line and length and rightly wasn?t used to bowl his full quota of overs. Powar struggled to keep the runs down but Mongia and Sehwag kept the runs down on a good pitch. Bangladesh was about 20 runs short of a winning target on this pitch. Sehwag and Gambhir started in marauding fashion at the start of the Indian inning. While Sehwag was severe on anything outside the off stump, Gambhir picked runs with ease on anything down the leg. Both Rasel and Shahdat Hussain bowled on both sides of the wicket making setting the task of setting field hard for their captain. Rasel struck in the 5th over to remove Gambhir leg before wicket, what appeared to be a straight forward decision for the umpire. By then the damage at the top had been done with India having scored at over 7 runs per over when the first wicket fell at 35. Dhoni was promoted at no.3 and clearly Dhoni looked to settle down and play a long inning. While Sehwag looked to be in a punishing mood, Dhoni worked for his singles and picked the odd ball to belt. Sehwag continued in the punishing mood before he hit one straight to Saqibul Hasan off Rasel. This brought Yuvraj Singh to the center and with recent reports to go by Yuvraj was treating this one as a revenge series. Unfortunately he didn?t make much difference to his team?s cause or his attempt at revenge after he hit one straight to short covers without troubling the scorers. In his brief stay Yuvraj looked quite out of sorts. Hopefully he will get good opportunities in the rest of the series to get over his sleepless nights he had after India had lost against Bangladesh in the world cup. Rahul Dravid joined Dhoni and both set about amending the inning. Run rate in their favour, Rahul Dravid and Dhoni worked for singles and kept the score board ticking. Rahul Dravid looked in good touch albeit slow during his stay at the crease but he too departed after scoring 22 runs off 39 balls. Dinesh Mongia didn?t last long either when he was out to a soft dismissal hitting a harmless ball straight to short mid wicket. By 28 overs India were in a fair bit of a trouble with 5 wickets down and only 144 runs on board what with only one another front line batsman in Karthik to come. Anyone that has followed Indian cricket since about the last year by now will have promptly switched the TV sets off and would have engaged themselves in something worthwhile than watching yet another insipid performance by the men in blue. Dhoni by then had cramps and was struggling with his ham string. Yuvraj joined Karthik as Dhoni?s runner and that resulted in some anxious moments of running between the wickets. Both Karthik and Yuvraj were heading for disaster way too often with some bad calling and running between the wickets. Bangladesh missed out on running Karthik out once when Karthik was way down the middle, slipped and collapsed. Unfortunately for Bangladesh the fielder returned the ball way too quick for the comfort of the bowler and by the time the bowler could recover Karthik had made it to the crease. It took some acrobatic diving by both Yuvraj and Karthik to beat the throw twice. One of those dives ensured Dhoni wasn?t run out at a crucial time. Dhoni was also saved from a confident LBW shout by Rafique, thanks to the designated ICC elite umpire Asoka De Silva. Not a surprising decision for those that have followed Asoka De Silva for a long time. In fact it is surprising he only made very few bad calls. Usually his bad calls are in double digits in a test match. Karthik meanwhile showed why he is the latest fighter on the block for India. Karthik looked unconvincing and swept every ball irrespective of where the ball pitched but he was more than effective in the process. He did upset the Bangladesh bowlers with his ever sweeping the spinners and after about 10-20 minutes of stay at the crease he looked to pick runs off every ball with ease. There is nothing convincing about his stroke play nor does he possess classy looking drives. What he does have is a relaxed attitude and an effort to enjoy the game. He didn?t look for once he was overwhelmed or pressured by the occasion. Once he settled he in the company of Dhoni scored at ease. There were anxious moments but one look at Karthik suggested both Dhoni and Karthik knew what they were up to. In the end both Karthik and Dhoni make the target look pretty easy by knocking off the runs without any further wicket fall and with about an over to spare. This will go a long way in ensuring there still is some amount of fighting left in the Indian camp despite the recent debacle in the World cup. It is not a surprise yet again it is the youth that delivered the win in the end. Youth seems to be the flavour of every other cricketing nation and it is high time more deserving candidates are drafted into the ODI side ASAP. Dhoni did a stellar job by hanging in there and also knocking off the winning runs. Deservingly he was named the man of the match. More often than not Dhoni has showed he delivers at the top and there are not many at the top that are among runs right now. It will help India?s cause if Dhoni and Karthik are used at the top. Perhaps no.3 and no.4 is more befitting these two batters considering they rotate the strike and appear unperturbed whatever the situation of the game. [fade]

Re: Official ICFans match report - India vs Bangladesh 1st ODI Thanks a lot for the report Ravi. I enjoyed reading it more than cricinfo's crappy bulletin. We really need more volunteers to write for this website. How about working out a few incentives for the members ? Would it be possible to provide free streaming to writers who offer their services and cover the games ?

Re: Official ICFans match report - India vs Bangladesh 1st ODI I have gone your style Predator, no holding back on my opinions and I quite like being straight forward in my writing these days :hic: Don't know about free streaming mate, we don't indulge in that anymore but if possible we can buy streaming from Willow or somewhere and give it to the writers.

Re: Official ICFans match report - India vs Bangladesh 1st ODI

Thanks a lot for the report Ravi. I enjoyed reading it more than cricinfo's crappy bulletin. We really need more volunteers to write for this website. How about working out a few incentives for the members ? Would it be possible to provide free streaming to writers who offer their services and cover the games ?
We can have a contest and reward the best writer for the series with say $25 or something???

Re: Official ICFans match report - India vs Bangladesh 1st ODI I don't know about the cash prize thing m8, although we did discuss this before. The dollar isn't worth sh*t these days anyway. I like the Willow idea though, sounds more enticing - at least to me. We can work out a schedule; a few members can volunteer and then we can provide them with free streaming on the day to ensure that they don't miss out on a single ball. It saves them money, and we can draw more volunteers by appealing to the members' wallets.

Re: Official ICFans match report - India vs Bangladesh 1st ODI I did what Rajeev will have done in a while :hic: Anyways I like your idea Pred, will talk to cricketics and see how we can get them Willow streaming or something. Firstly we need volunteers.

Re: Official ICFans match report - India vs Bangladesh 1st ODI Cricketics, are you talking about a SopCast or some other application ?

Would love to do it but not so sure about my writing skills anymore. :roll:
See, this is what people DON'T understand. You DON'T need to be an ace writer. All you need to do is watch the game, note down the important points - ie; crucial junctures of the match, your most memorable moments, deliveries or shots which made an impression on you, stupid umpiring decisions, behavior of the players and anything else which catches your fancy. 4/5 short paragraphs is MORE than enough. Once you are done, send it to me or Ravi, and we can edit it. You still get all the credit and the points for writing the initial piece.

Cricketics' date=' are you talking about a SopCast or some other application ?[/quote'] Pred, I'll PM you about that soon.
All you need to do is watch the game, note down the important points - ie; crucial junctures of the match, your most memorable moments, deliveries or shots which made an impression on you, stupid umpiring decisions, behavior of the players and anything else which catches your fancy. 4/5 short paragraphs is MORE than enough.
That pretty much is how I write too. I used to worry about being politically correct but not anymore. We need more forth right views I think although at times a little harsh.

Re: Official ICFans match report - India vs Bangladesh 1st ODI I wud luv to do a rite-up... but the prob is -- i am not able to see the match !! :Cry: Sopcast didnt stream the match ... and niether are the other blogsopt sites.. and my studnt budget dusnt allow me to to buy packages...

I wud luv to do a rite-up... but the prob is -- i am not able to see the match !! :Cry: Sopcast didnt stream the match ... and niether are the other blogsopt sites.. and my studnt budget dusnt allow me to to buy packages...
Exactly ! We need to give able volunteers like you the chance to watch matches. We'll sort something out, sit tight for now.

I wud luv to do a rite-up... but the prob is -- i am not able to see the match !! :Cry: Sopcast didnt stream the match ... and niether are the other blogsopt sites.. and my studnt budget dusnt allow me to to buy packages...
Exactly ! We need to give able volunteers like you the chance to watch matches. We'll sort something out, sit tight for now.
Hehe... so its gotto work the other way around for me i gues.. Give me the match.. and I will be able to do the write-up.. :hic:

Cricketics, are you talking about a SopCast or some other application ?
Would love to do it but not so sure about my writing skills anymore. :roll:
See, this is what people DON'T understand. You DON'T need to be an ace writer. All you need to do is watch the game, note down the important points - ie; crucial junctures of the match, your most memorable moments, deliveries or shots which made an impression on you, stupid umpiring decisions, behavior of the players and anything else which catches your fancy. 4/5 short paragraphs is MORE than enough. Once you are done, send it to me or Ravi, and we can edit it. You still get all the credit and the points for writing the initial piece.
Okies ill try it out the next match. Its tomorrow plus saturday as well. Bonus F1 in the evening :D. Hope the match's on Sopcast.

Re: Official ICFans match report - India vs Bangladesh 1st ODI Attention MODS can you please tell me why i get this message "Sorry, but the administrator has prevented you from sending private messages." sorry if i posted in the wrong section