We want to hire Dav Whatmore: Pak

We want to hire Dav Whatmore: Pak Reuters Karachi, May 10: Pakistan is talking to Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore about their national coaching post left vacant following Bob Woolmer's death at the World Cup. Woolmer, who took over as Pakistan coach in 2004, died in hospital in Kingston, Jamaica on March 18, one day after his team lost to Ireland and were knocked out of the tournament. "We are in talks with Whatmore as we are interested in hiring him," said Zakir Khan, the Pakistan Cricket Board's Director of Cricket Operations. Australian Whatmore led Sri Lanka to the 1996 World Cup and guided Bangladesh to the Super Eights of the 2007 tournament in which they beat India and South Africa. Whatmore's contract with Bangladesh ends after the home one-day and test series against India, which started on Thursday. The PCB last month advertised the position of national coach and set May 15 as the deadline for applications. Board sources said the 53-year-old Whatmore had not yet formally applied for the post, but Zakir said that would not be a problem if the talks proved successful. "The thing is we have to see if he is ready to accept any final offer we make to him," Zakir added. Whatmore, who led Sri Lanka to series wins over Pakistan in 1995 and 2000, has previously said he was keen to work with the Indian team. Zakir said a number of foreign coaches had sent applications for the Pakistan coaching position but would not reveal their names. "We have got applications from England, West Indies and Australia," he said.

Re: We want to hire Dav Whatmore: Pak Its actually quite a shame on Pak cricket that , at time of deep crisis , they cant find a pakistani coach for their team. Either they arent many good coaches around or the ones which have any sort of pedigree dont want to tak up the job. Sad.... I still remember how Waqar was lamenting about how the board humiliates past players and doesnt give them the respect they deserve. And the obvious benificiary of all this is - Western coaches. Whil Pak cricket stagnates , they get to fill their pockets with huge $ salaries.

Re: We want to hire Dav Whatmore: Pak Whatever happened to their talks with John Wright? PCB reported their supposedly talks with John Wright quite eagerly to the media too. I never heard from them about John Wright in the last couple of weeks. :shrug:

Re: We want to hire Dav Whatmore: Pak I doubt if PCB made any sort of serious offer to Wright. This looks like the English premiership , where during every transfer season , good players and their managers are in "talks" with every other team. And all of us know they do this just to increase their rates.

Re: We want to hire Dav Whatmore: Pak I doubt if Pakistan can get any foreign coach given the incidence at the world cup. The incidence may not even be remotely connected with Pakistan cricket but given Pakistan is an Islamic country and the current trend of looking at anything Islamic through the scanner won't help Pakistan's attempt at employing a foreign coach. If they do, they will be paying way more than what the value of a foreign coach is. I feel coaching is way over rated and Pakistan could do with a local coach.