Shastri promises 'no mercy' for Bangladesh

Bangladesh should not expect India to take their foot off the pedal in the third match of the one-day cricket series even though the visitors have taken an unassailable 2-0 lead in the rubber, India's manager Ravi Shastri said today. He said the Indians were looking for a clean sweep of the series. "We are aiming at a 3-0 result. So there will be no let up. Bangladesh should not expect any mercy from us," Shastri said after the series-clinching 46-run victory at the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium. The former captain said he was proud at the way the Indian team showed character under tough conditions to bag the series. "It is a proud moment for us. Chittagong is another one-day game for us and we are keyed up to face the challenge," said the former all-rounder. "The boys are giving everything. They are working very hard. There is tough cricket ahead and the boys are aware of it." Shastri also complimented Bangladesh for the rapid strides they have made in the game. "Perhaps no one has watched Bangladesh more closely than me over the last few years. And I am happy to see the kind of improvement they have done over the last seven odd years. They are bursting with talents. "I have identified at least five players who are very talented. They are a superb fielding side also," Shastri added.

Re: Shastri promises 'no mercy' for Bangladesh It was stupid to watch India not even finish Bangladesh in style. Dravid used Mongia and Yuvraj Singh non stop towards the end to provide some entertainment for the Bangla crowd. Sure Bangladesh were never in the hunt but why bowl your part timers and prolong the game rahter than use Zaheer and Munaf to finish off the game in style. It was pathetic captaincy and some below club level bowling by Mongia.

Re: Shastri promises 'no mercy' for Bangladesh

"I have identified at least five players who are very talented. They are a superb fielding side also," Shastri added.
Is that his sales pitch for the BD coaching job? :hic: I like Ravi's garrulousness. Such a change from the usual mealy mouthed coaches who say 'no comment'. This guy talks from the heart, and it will make the players enthusiastic too.
Guest dada_rocks

Re: Shastri promises 'no mercy' for Bangladesh why don't u guys understand poor shastri have to squeeze all his trash talk in just one series :wtg:

Re: Shastri promises 'no mercy' for Bangladesh i have faith in shashtri.. bit surprising the way he is giving these interviews.. but he is alright.. it will be interesting to see what he says when we lose a game..

Re: Shastri promises 'no mercy' for Bangladesh I have no problem with Shastri giving a bit of stick. Even Whatmore did the same too. He said India is only slightly better after India won the series 2-0. I'm happy to see someone from the Indian camp happy to talk straight. As for players they should better work on cricket and leave these talks to the coaches and the rest.

moe than talking i need some 350+ scoreline
And who will score those runs? You can go and the scorecard about who has scored what, whenever India have crossed 300, leave aside, 350! The only match which I remember we chased 325 successfully under lights against West Indies in 2002 was played without Sachin and Saurav. Any other?

Re: Shastri promises 'no mercy' for Bangladesh Dhaka: The Bangladeshis have won few points on the field, but that didn?t stop outgoing coach Dav Whatmore from needling the team he could soon be coaching. ?India?s a little better team than us... We?ve got the ability to scare,? he commented with a straight-face, shortly after Rahul Dravid?s men took an unbeatable 2-0 lead in the ODIs. For cricket manager Ravi Shastri, though, it was a bit too much. ?What? Has Whatmore said that? Well, ask him after the third (and final) match,? he countered during an interaction with the media after Saturday?s face-off. Chittagong hosts the last ODI on Tuesday. Shastri added: ?Bangladesh?s best chance was in the first ODI... They won?t get another opportunity... We?ve come here to show no mercy... Take no prisoners... We?re looking at 3-0...? One doesn?t wish to belittle Bangladesh but even a whitewash, so to say, won?t exactly mean much. That?s why, perhaps, Dravid is looking at the ?challenges ahead.? For the record, the last series win outside India was in Pakistan 15 months ago. It?s not terribly exciting as Bangladesh and Pakistan are no more than a hop away. Back to Shastri... Asked whether ?no mercy? and ?no prisoners? figured in pep talks, he replied: ?One only plays to win... That?s the way I played.? Shastri, of course, had an excellent record as (stand-in) captain. Now, he?s tasting success in a different role. ?I feel proud... I have curd and honey every morning!? He confirmed he wouldn?t be available once this tour ends. Shastri, by the way, praised Whatmore. ?You?ve got to give him credit... He identified a group of players with talent and worked hard with them... It shows in Bangladesh?s body language... It?s a very fine fielding unit...? It?s not insignificant that Shastri is on the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)-appointed committee to decide on Greg Chappell?s successor. Apparently, BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah is expected in a couple of days and, so, there may be a dialogue with Whatmore. ?I?ve already stated that I?m keen... I?ve got nothing else to add,? Whatmore told The Telegraph after learning that Shah could soon be in Bangladesh. Being too keen, after all, may reduce his bargaining power. Footnote: Irrespective of what was said at the media conference, Whatmore warmly congratulated Shastri as they met in the foyer on returning to the Sheraton. Shastri couldn?t have flashed a broader smile. Top

Guest dada_rocks

moe than talking i need some 350+ scoreline
And who will score those runs? You can go and the scorecard about who has scored what, whenever India have crossed 300, leave aside, 350! The only match which I remember we chased 325 successfully under lights against West Indies in 2002 was played without Sachin and Saurav. Any other?
We beat pakistan chasing 300+ in bangaldesh.. sachin scored 40 odd in 20 balls ganguly century, robin singh 80 odd
Guest dada_rocks

Re: Shastri promises 'no mercy' for Bangladesh I am hoping for sehwag special in third match.. it has ben a while

Re: Shastri promises 'no mercy' for Bangladesh cant they put together a nice bigger package than what shastri is currently making tht it is really impossible for him to refuse?? i am starting to like him in this role, though the jury is out on him aagainst tougher opposition... on the other hand, we need to put together an even bigger package to take out the retarded-colonel... WTF was he doing selecting dinesh mongia wen we are trying to blood youngsters and make corrections for the WC debacle.... champagne anyone?

?India?s a little better team than us... We?ve got the ability to scare,?
In first game at 145/5 India won the game without losing a wicket. in second game at 92/5 BD game was as good as over and here lies the difference. If at home, playing their best cricket BD will lose 3-0 to India a team playing worst cricket in over a decade then i would say BD has a long long way to go. This BD team couldnt win a ODI series against India A. have they improved Yes but WC win was nothing but a fluke.