Say Salaam India - Anyone watched this one?

King

I didn't post this in the "General" deliberately. This one is to do with cricket. I did and have to say the low profile actors are way better than the glam/sham bollywood stars. There is no glorifying of stars in this movie and everyone has their bit of heroic. There is lot of references to the current Indian players and the timing is way wrong considering the recent debacle in the World cup. One of the Sikh lads does a Sreesanth (Sree-Nel incident), he also emulates Anil Kumble by swathing a bandage to keep his broken jaw intact. There is ball tampering, there is buying of umpires prior the game to give favourable decisions for one of the teams and plenty of sledging. One such sledging scene is a straight lift from the Akthar-Sehwag's incidence in Pakistan. The movie is a low budget one but is fast enough to keep one's interest. Sports movies in bollywood are far and few. This one is not a bad watch. There are no unwanted romance, songs and glory as in Lagaan. This one is about 2 hours and is a decent watch if you got some free time. What I didn't like though is dressing up the country side school team in Indian colours and the well off school in Aussie colours. The country side team does everything fair while the other one in the Aussie colours are outright cheaters. I'm sure the school cricket teams in India don't play the finals in replica Indian and Aussie colours. Otherwise a way better movie than even Lagaan. P.S : Even the end result of the game is realistic unlike ?Lagaan?. I didn?t quite like ?Lagaan? with non stop barrage of songs and romance. Not my type of sports based movie.

Re: Say Salaam India - Anyone watched this one? I agree "Lagaan" was a new concept in Bollywood and had plenty of colours. Technically it was a good movie but to mix romance, foot tapping music, imperialism with a sports theme is a bit OTT. Honestly I didn't enjoy Lagaan from the perspective of sports.

Re: Say Salaam India - Anyone watched this one?

I found Lagaan boring. But enjoyed watching that English chokri Rachel Shelly :hic: She is looking nice in "The L word" :hic: helena.jpg
Lekin yeh, English chokri thoda exposure karti to aur maza ataa :lmao:

Re: Say Salaam India - Anyone watched this one? on the same note, i recently watched a movie called "dressing room"... rather stupid and boring... how a young guy, barely played 2 ranji matches, get selected for india-pak odi match... he gets ragged by the seniors in the dressing room.... everyone suspects the captain of being a match-fixer who turns out to be the most patriotic hero at the end.... stoooopid in one word... there is a replica of bajji in tht movie..

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Say Salaam India - Anyone watched this one? Seems good movie and ur observation of small time actors being by far far better than their mainstream counterpart is right on the money. In mainstream movies I believe they show actor actresses not stories. Irrespective of the storyline a salman khan will have to parade around topless and do some dance number a sharukh khan have to have a lovey-dovey nostrils trembling dialogue delivery scene ..yawn..

What I didn't like though is dressing up the country side school team in Indian colours and the well off school in Aussie colours. The country side team does everything fair while the other one in the Aussie colours are outright cheaters.
This is wrong on so many counts.. This is fanning the rural/urbal divide. What is suprpirsing that this passes off as some kind of patritotism. Other day was watching ibnlive the anchor on a program called India 360 was presenting the UPSc result under the headlines "UPSC goes bhartiya". Premise was since the rural and small town India has swept the result and left their urban metro counterpart far behind hence result becomes Bhartiya. Other than being facutally wrong on the count that somehow the rural small town India sweeping the UPSC results is a novelty ( fact is it has bene like this since last two deacdes) they were unabashedly painting urban/metro India some sort of un-bhartiya den. This sort of picturization must stop. PS: Before someone from rural India goes ballistic on me let me clarify I am as rural as u can get. My village is still to see things like road/electricity.
Guest dada_rocks

Re: Say Salaam India - Anyone watched this one? How can u guys not like Lagaan; to me it's in Sholay, deewar category.

Re: Say Salaam India - Anyone watched this one? Yup Iqbal was fantastic. Some really good performances. I quite liked his parents performance the best. Of course his coach's role done by Shah was great too.