IPL 2010 - News, Views and Opinion thread.

Dirty_South

After resisting the Indian Premier League's lure in the first two editions, Australian vice captain Michael Clarke today said he wants to play in the 2010 chapter of the cash-awash event. Talking to reporters, the right-hander, who would lead Australia in two Twenty20 Internationals and first three of the seven ODIs against England, in captain Ricky Ponting's absence, said IPL 2010 would prove a perfect build up for next year's Twenty20 World Cup in the West Indies. "For me, it's about timing," Clarke said. "Certainly, the positive I see about the IPL is it leads into the Twenty20 world championship, so it's very good preparation for all the guys playing in the IPL. They'll have a lot of Twenty20 cricket going into the world championship," he was quoted as saying by the 'Australian Associated Press'. Incidentally, IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi was so angry with Clarke, after the Australian's last minute withdrawal from auction ahead of IPL II, that he hit back at him saying the batsman chickened out fearing he might not find takers. Reminded the incident, Clarke said, "At some stage, I definitely want to take part in the IPL. It's been a wonderful tournament. It's helped a lot of players. It's given guys an opportunity to be on the big stage and put their hand up...I'd definitely like to take part in it at some stage. "I just need to work out when's the right time, and hopefully Lalit will let me play, more importantly," he added. Source ---------------------- :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: he would be lucky if gets 200 grand.
He's a pretty good batsman, excellent fielder and handy part time bowler and we've all seen how well they do

Pup to play next IPL Australia's new Twenty20 captain Michael Clarke will consider seeking an IPL contract next year as he aims to gain more experience in the shortest format. Clarke will lead Australia at the ICC World Twenty20 in the West Indies in May and he knows there is plenty of improvement required from his team in Twenty20 cricket. Under Ricky Ponting, the Australians crashed out in the first round of this year's tournament and Ponting later retired from the format, leaving Clarke and new vice-captain Cameron White in charge. Clarke's own Twenty20 record is modest - he has played 25 matches without scoring a half-century - and an IPL stint could help him boost his form. "There have been reasons why I haven't taken part in the last couple of IPLs," Clarke told a press conference at the SCG on Monday. "I've always said that it's a competition I would love to take part in at the right time. If the timing is right, if my body is healthy and I'm feeling good and a team wants me, it could be a great opportunity to prepare for what's going to be a huge Twenty20 World Cup." Clarke knows finding a team willing to sign him could be easier said than done, given his Twenty20 record and his decision to pull out of the past two IPL auctions. Also working against him is the fact that he and several of his Australian colleagues will be unavailable until the final three weeks of the IPL due to their tour of New Zealand. In any case, he must find a way to lift his men for the World Twenty20 against teams and individuals with far more experience in the format. Clarke, who is eyeing the No. 3 spot in the Twenty20 order following Ponting's retirement, said he would sound out his vice-captain White for Twenty20 advice - White has played 50 games over the past five years. "I'll be looking to Cameron White as vice-captain and a lot of the other senior players who have played a lot more Twenty20 cricket than me," Clarke said. "It [Twenty20 ] is an area of our game that we're trying to work hard on and it's great to see New South Wales and Victoria over in the Champions League doing very well. "I've played 19 games for Australia and the first half were about entertainment. We didn't know how seriously to take it. It's definitely changed over the last couple of years. No doubt cricketers in general take Twenty20 cricket a lot more seriously because it's a competition that's here to stay." ------------------------------------------------------------ from cricinfo http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/430369.html