Must India offer citizenship to all Hindus?

THX_1138

Disclaimer: while born of hindu parents, there is hardly a religious bone in my body. however, i am the product of a generation that is a product of a generation that suffered the horrendous holocaust that was the 'partition'. recently, my grandfather turned over to the boring and senile side of 70 and in moments of jest, him and i were talking about his childhood experiences. he spoke about how his father, my great grand father, would be peeved at low grades and threaten to pull him out of college, or how he worked odd jobs to supplement the family income and how much of a departure that menial existence was when juxtaposed with his relatively lavish life in the suburbs of karachi. thus, i made this suggestion: much as how israel offers citizenship to all jewish applicants, must india, as the only, possibly the last (discounting for nepal of course), offer citizenship to hindus and sikhs world over? i am tempting to include jains and bhuddhists, but the later two have not been subjected to the vitriol and oppression that hindus and sikhs have suffered from the mid 12th century to about the end of the 18th century (i might have some dates incorrect here, but then again i dont know much of indian history). how would such a legislative move fare and would it receive unanimous political support?

This is a tough one. I would love to say yes but we are a secular country, so I guess it would have to be no. But we can make an exception and offer asylum to any Hindu/Sikh who can prove religious discrimination in the place where they currently live.

exactly, its more from a point of view of asylum rather than communal politics. my motivation for presenting this argument arose from a family i just visited. they are bangladeshi expatriates, now on their path to naturalized citizenship of united states and they spoke of some of the hardships they experienced in bangladesh. while their plight was not any more pitiful than that of any lower middle class to lower economic class muslim family in india, i do happen to know a few pakistani families who are hindus as well and they describe their migration to the united states as a more a necessity for survival than a mere economic decision. similarly, there are a few hindu families in afghanistan, quite a few malaysia and indonesia where hindus are often treated as second class citizens by the local islamic government. for such individuals, must there not be a safe haven?