14-year-old maid not allowed to wear clothes at home by Infosys engineer and wife

ViruRulez

sinchita.jpg The wife Sinchita
Software engineer Pallabh Chakraborthy, who works in Infosys, and his wife Sinchita made their maid work in their house without clothes Hemanth Kashyap Posted On Monday, January 04, 2010 at 12:04:34 AM The 14-year-old maid rescued last week from her employers, who allegedly used to torture her, has told police that she was made to work in the house without clothes. Software engineer Pallabh Chakraborthy, who works in Infosys, and his wife Sinchita were arrested following a joint raid on their flat by members of Association for Promoting Social Action (APSA), who were tipped off about the torture, and the police on Dec 29. The maid The condition of the girl, who is from West Bengal, was so bad that she had to be immediately admitted to the ICU of Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health (IGICH). Among other things, the couple had allegedly poured boiling oil on her back. But, what left the police and the child rights activists shell-shocked was the girls claim that the couple forced her to walk around the house without clothes. The girl, who barely manages to speak, told doctors and investigators: “I was not given any clothes by the couple. They used to molest me. They wanted me to stay without clothes. He (Pallabh) used to ask me to remove the clothes and Sinchita madam also didn’t say anything about it. She told me to listen to her husband. I used to wear just a panty all day. Only if somebody came home did the couple give me a long top. Initially, when I refused to remove my clothes, they used to hit me. Sometimes, I have covered myself with a bathing towel. I used to get up at 4.30 am and work till midnight. They used to give me one meal every day. I used to sleep without clothes, on a carpet. They didn’t give me a bedspread or a sheet to cover myself.†Police plan to add Section 354 (outraging the modesty of women) of the IPC to the charges against the couple. Investigations revealed that Sinchita had poured hot oil on the maid on Christmas after she was pinned to the ground by her husband. The couple later took the girl to a hospital, but reportedly told the doctor that it was an accident. Sinchita HSR Layout Sub-inspector Mirza Ali, who is investigating the case, said, “The girl told us that the couple did not allow her to wear clothes and how she was tortured. We will be adding all the relevant sections of the law in the chargesheet.†Her claims have been communicated to the Karnataka State Commission for Child Protection (KSCCP). Commission member Mamatha M R said, “The girl told doctors in Indira Gandhi hospital that she was not provided clothes and was expected to move around without clothes in the house.†Commission chairperson Neena Naik said, “We are awaiting the medical report before preparing our case against the couple.†Meanwhile, child rights activists are upset that the couple, who have been booked for wrongful confinement, threatening and child harassment, have obtained bail. They plan to stage a protest on Monday. According to the police, the couple moved to Bangalore a few years ago. They brought the girl, who used to live with her grandmother in West Bengal, 15 months ago. As the girl wanted to study, the couple brought her to Bangalore by promising to send her to school and look after her like their own child.
I just found this on google and am really surprised. Never thought an educated person from a big company such as Infosys would do such an inhuman act. Even more surprised that his wife was also supporting him and torturing the maid. :((

Old news. Abbey' date=' New year mein acchi acchi khabar padna.[/quote'] kya baat kar raha hai old news .. it is written 22 hours ago in google news search .. so I thought recent news http://news.google.com/news/search?aq=f&pz=1&cf=all&ned=in&hl=en&q=14+year+old yahan pe 22 hours ago likh rakha hai .. I was searching for the TV girl wala news and I typed 14 year old and instead came to this news

Guest Hiten.
Education and morality are not related. First of all they have no rights to employ an uderaged girl - this is banned under child labor act. In addition to that' date=' they are sexually molesting the girl. Despicable indeed.[/quote'] You know I have no problems if someone provides 'shelters' to underage kids in return of expecting them to do the house chores as long as they provide them with two meals, some money or education because it will be 100x better than what the poor girl/boy's parents can afford.

You know I have no problems if someone provides 'shelters' to underage kids in return of expecting them to do the house chores as long as they provide them with two meals' date=' some money or education because it will be 100x better than what the poor girl/boy's parents can afford.[/quote'] In 99% of the cases, these kids are not provided education and they are made to do all the house chores for two meals and paltry money. Thats why govt has come up with child labor law. its not me or you should decide whats right and better for the kid when law disallows child labor.

quite despicable' date=' didn't think it was possible in India given that neighbors know most of what happens in one's house/apartment.[/quote'] Happens quite frequently in India. I remember an actress (the one who played the maid in Meine Pyaar Kiya) and her boy friend used to regularly rape their minor maid till one day neighbors got wind of it and reported. Then there was a woman who used to molest her minor maid. She one day came home in a rage after some fight, tortured the girl with hot metal, then drove some kind of large steel rod into her vagina. When the girl bled and went unconscious, she got scared and hanged her from the fan and told everyone that she committed suicide. Didn't take much time for the police to understand that it was not suicide, they arrested her husband and then a few days later she admitted her crime. Both these are from Mumbai suburbs. It happens a lot. Rich people bring small girls from villages and then take advantage of them. This girl I think escaped getting raped in time. If they were already making her stay naked in the house, they would have started raping her quite soon. Thank god she was saved.

Guest Hiten.
In 99% of the cases' date=' these kids are not provided education and they are made to do all the house chores for two meals and paltry money. Thats why govt has come up with child labor law. its not me or you should decide whats right and better for the kid when law disallows child labor.[/quote'] What is more atrocious, a child doing the house chores for some money or begging on the streets (latter one is inevitable if a child is not taken off the street). I do understand it is very hard to find house owners who would keep their end of the deal and provide the kid with two meals + some money but if there is an opportunity govt should not restrict it, in my honest opinion.

Child labor is not all that evil always to be honest. My grocer always sends kids for home deliveries. When I asked them, they said that they do the delivery work for him for a couple of hgours everyday and he pays them enough to sustain their education. I see nothing wrong with that.

What is more atrocious' date=' a child doing the house chores for some money or begging on the streets (latter one is inevitable if a child is not taken off the street). I do understand it is very hard to find house owners who would keep their end of the deal and provide the kid with two meals + some money but if there is an opportunity govt should not restrict it, in my honest opinion.[/quote'] This is how rich people are exploiting poor children because they think they are doing a great favor to the child, in return she has to all house chores..Give it a rest! Govt has mid-day meal scheme precisely for this reason so that poor kids doesn't miss out on education for food.Also there are govt free hostels for the girl children. Unfortunately poor parents sell their kids to rich people who are vulnerable to exploitation without any control.

Child labor is not all that evil always to be honest. My grocer always sends kids for home deliveries. When I asked them' date=' they said that they do the delivery work for him for a couple of hgours everyday and he pays them enough to sustain their education. I see nothing wrong with that.[/quote'] Your grocer is employing these kids because they are paid a paltry amount which is not possible if he hires an adult.

Your grocer is employing these kids because they are paid a paltry amount which is not possible if he hires an adult.
Possibly, yes. I am saying that he is a saint. What I am saying is that the kids get to study by doing some job. Without that job, they would be on the roads.

Child labor is not all that evil always to be honest. My grocer always sends kids for home deliveries. When I asked them' date=' they said that they do the delivery work for him for a couple of hgours everyday and he pays them enough to sustain their education. I see nothing wrong with that.[/quote'] in Aus kids are allowed to work part time.. and I dont see much wrong with that. Its a very difficult question that should someone not employee a 13 yr old to do household work knowing well that the other option for the kid is to sleep on the street , not have enough to eat and push him towards begging. An example: The lady who used to iron our clothes in India had 5 daughters , they all used to work after school by helping their mum. The father worked in Dubai and the mum worked 14 hrs a day in India. The kids are all well educated now( couple of them have done MBA). So was she wrong in taking help from the kids ?