Mythbuster - Aussie Selectors are Ruthless

Guest BossBhai

Guest Hiten.

Without a doubt its BS. Aussie selectors cannot afford to drop anyone from the squad because their "well oil machined that produced (even better) players" has either stopped working or BCCI must have zapped it.

I agree. It's a big myth that keeps getting propounded left, right and center without any basis. Some examples - Adam Gilchrist between the start of Ashes 05 and the start Ashes 06 had the following numbers: 516 runs from 16 tests(24 innings)@22! Hayden between BG trophy 2004 and end of 4th test Ashes '05 16 tests 842 runs@30 Ponting between Nov 2000 and 3rd test 2001 Ashes series: 11 tests 319 runs@19 BTW anyone remember the days on ICF when amazing statistical jugglery was performed to potray Kumble and Pathan as better test batsmen than Sachin Tendulkar? :winky:

Ponting has been riding a wave that started a long time back. So many people scream that Ponting is currently the best batsman and that Tendulkar is past his best. In the last three years Ponting has just managed to cross 40 in average. Tendulkar in the last three years has averaged 55. So I can not see what that argument is based on.

It is not entirely a myth. They did to Damien Martyn for just one series failure. Did it to Waugh twins both in ODIs and Tests. But from what i gathered current panel is not as good as previous one. Especially some kind of regionalism is going on so i heard.
Michael Bevan too!!

To be fair Australia, India both selection committee comes down on non performers with few exceptions like top players. Dravid had 3 horrible years if i remember we persisted with him. Ganguly had 2 or 3 horrible years. Then we dropped him. Similarly they persist with Ponting. It is not like he hit the rock bottom like averaging 15, 20 in a series. It is a non-issue if you ask me.

BTW anyone remember the days on ICF when amazing statistical jugglery was performed to potray Kumble and Pathan as better test batsmen than Sachin Tendulkar? :winky:
Sadly all that mastery with statsguru ended when someone that they do not worship started having a bad run.