Why do Indians ( Desis ) Stare at each other

Rajiv

I said I can tell' date=' I never said I am sure I am a 100% correct. What's the fuss all about? :dontknow:[/quote'] its still an assumption granted that u are aware it may be an incorrect one but its still an assumption and the fuss is the fact we have finally cornered the lovely gunnah! :P U:fail:

Why do they live the way they do? I still don't understand it. I am honestly trying but I don't get it.
1. Many grad students who come here have had close to zero interaction with girls in India and have a barrier to cross. As a result, they don't feel comfortable going out to a bar in an amalgamated group. 2. Some are not very comfortable with their dressing sense and accents during the first few years. I never saw a European being ashamed of having an accent. 3. The desire to live the American dream kicks in too early - have a car, save money. Really how much can you save from $1500 anyway! 4. For a lot of them the idea of socialization and party springs from the way they used to have stag parties in Boys' Hostels in India - daaru aur snacks le aao and have chicken afterwards. Enjoyable for sure, but not the only entertainment. 5. Majority of them never had a girl friend in India - the concept of dating is alien to them, specially in the west. 6. The concept of traveling and exploring new places just for the fun of it is missing largely, specially if it costs even a bit of money.

Why do they live the way they do? I still don't understand it. I am honestly trying but I don't get it.
circumstances i guess we dont know their journey or hardship they might have gone through to be where they are now but also the mentality of save now spend when u have the means as well

its still an assumption granted that u are aware it may be an incorrect one but its still an assumption and the fuss is the fact we have finally cornered the lovely gunnah! :P U:fail:
:nono: Gunner never :fail:s

1. Many grad students who come here have had close to zero interaction with girls in India and have a barrier to cross. As a result, they don't feel comfortable going out to a bar in an amalgamated group. 2. Some are not very comfortable with their dressing sense and accents during the first few years. I never saw a European being ashamed of having an accent. 3. The desire to live the American dream kicks in too early - have a car, save money. Really how much can you save from $1500 anyway! 4. For a lot of them the idea of socialization and party springs from the way they used to have stag parties in Boys' Hostels in India - daaru aur snacks le aao and have chicken afterwards. Enjoyable for sure, but not the only entertainment. 5. Majority of them never had a girl friend in India - the concept of dating is alien to them, specially in the west. 6. The concept of traveling and exploring new places just for the fun of it is missing largely, specially if it costs even a bit of money.
Point 1, 4 and 5 I can understand. Its simply not knowing that there is another way of life or fear. But point 2 for example, Europeans have the worst English accent imaginable. Except the people from the Netherlands and the nordics all the rest speak apalling English. Even other asians have a myriad tone of accents, so why do we blame ourselves so much? We should actually hype ourselves for having a sexy "singsong" accent much like the French do. Point 3, unless they are from a very poor family (unlikely since they have come all the way to the US to study) It makes no sense for them to try to save money from internship stipends. As long as they don't un up a debt on their parents what the hell are they try to achieve with the chindigiri? Point 6, this is a special problem applicable only to desis. Despite having other family members who have been to or lived abroad, they don't make a basic effort to learn the western way of life before coming here. If you come to a new country to study and don't even want to go to the nearby nice places to visit what the hell kind of experience do you get out of it?

costs. fear of being in an alien country and not knowing anyone? :dontknow:
circumstances i guess we dont know their journey or hardship they might have gone through to be where they are now but also the mentality of save now spend when u have the means as well
Ok, I can give you some real stupid examples of what desis do. Its snowing/raining outside, if you take the train its $ 2 and a cab costs $ 8. They would take the train save $ 6 and get filthy in the muck and probably sick as well. How does this make sense?

I don't know abt the stares as I haven't noticed desis staring at each other in GTA. May be due to the fact that there are so many here and they get used to having them around. In fact GTA is so multi cultural that it easy to find ppl from most nationalities here

Ok' date=' I can give you some real stupid examples of what desis do. Its snowing/raining outside, if you take the train its $ 2 and a cab costs $ 8. They would take the train save $ 6 and get filthy in the muck and probably sick as well. How does this make sense?[/quote'] G i have rented enough flats and houses to desi students and could you many more stupid examples! yes i agree there appears to be little method in thier madness!! after falling sick instead of taking paracetamol they'll drink haldi walla dudh! (which works sometimes) but the point i am trying to make is that everyone has a standard of living and a way of thinking and its not really fair to judge them just because we dont agree with it!! here's another example, i can buy all my fruit and veg from the indian grocers and it'll be cheaper but i dont! why? because by the time i have spent the petrol going to both the supermarket and the indian area it will work out the same! live and let live and accept that they have reasons for living the way they do.

I don't know abt the stares as I haven't noticed desis staring at each other in GTA. May be due to the fact that there are so many here and they get used to having them around. In fact GTA is so multi cultural that it easy to find ppl from most nationalities here
Sorry whats GTA? Im thinking Grand Theft Auto

Sorry whats GTA? Im thinking Grand Theft Auto
Yeah kanedians have to realize before saying things like GTA that they are not all that famous. :giggle::giggle:

Point 3, unless they are from a very poor family (unlikely since they have come all the way to the US to study) It makes no sense for them to try to save money from internship stipends. As long as they don't un up a debt on their parents what the hell are they try to achieve with the chindigiri?
Actually, there were a few students from genuinely lower middle class backgrounds in India and I completely understand their point of view. They used to even send money back to India from graduate stipends, like $300-400 per month. But a major talking point used to be getting a car, nice TV, and a laptop. I bought a car in my final year of grad school when I got a job, had a 13" piece of crap for most of the time and later graduated to a 19", and never had a laptop during school - just used department machines. But those kind of things were of priority to some, which I never understood. I mean, you have your whole life to buy a car and a freaking laptop, but will you be able to go out and have fun camping in Yosemite or canoe in Florida swamps with your friends ever again in your life with a 2-3 week holiday that your company will give and pretty soon wife and kids?

G i have rented enough flats and houses to desi students and could you many more stupid examples! yes i agree there appears to be little method in thier madness!! after falling sick instead of taking paracetamol they'll drink haldi walla dudh! (which works sometimes) but the point i am trying to make is that everyone has a standard of living and a way of thinking and its not really fair to judge them just because we dont agree with it!! here's another example, i can buy all my fruit and veg from the indian grocers and it'll be cheaper but i dont! why? because by the time i have spent the petrol going to both the supermarket and the indian area it will work out the same! live and let live and accept that they have reasons for living the way they do.
I don't have anything against the desi way of life just saying that some of their actions have little logical reasoning to it.

I don't have anything against the desi way of life just saying that some of their actions have little logical reasoning to it.
granted! so i can see why Outsider uses the term "too cool to hang out with desis" in a negative tone! everyone has a way of life we cant judge if their way is good or bad!

here's another example, i can buy all my fruit and veg from the indian grocers and it'll be cheaper but i dont! why? because by the time i have spent the petrol going to both the supermarket and the indian area it will work out the same! live and let live and accept that they have reasons for living the way they do.
may be you should have spent some more on the gas and given some business to the Indian grocer

Actually' date= there were a few students from genuinely lower middle class backgrounds in India and I completely understand their point of view. They used to even send money back to India from graduate stipends, like $300-400 per month. But a major talking point used to be getting a car, nice TV, and a laptop. I bought a car in my final year of grad school when I got a job, had a 13" piece of crap for most of the time and later graduated to a 19", and never had a laptop during school - just used department machines. But those kind of things were of priority to some, which I never understood. I mean, you have your whole life to buy a car and a freaking laptop, but will you be able to go out and have fun camping in Yosemite or canoe in Florida swamps with your friends ever again in your life with a 2-3 week holiday that your company will give and pretty soon wife and kids?
I am surprised but hats off to them. That shows a wonderful level of commitment to their family and I think its a matter of great pride. The second part is where I completely lose track of the rationality of these guys. This is the part of the desi way of life, I find hard to follow. They have missed the golden years of their life so that they can have a laptop!! Great going guys.. :rolleyes: