Performance Data - Another Ethical Dillema!

Aqua

You are the recently appointed head teacher of a school that is now improving following a period of very poor performance under your predecessor. It has been made clear that one important performance indicator is pupil attendance level ? that must be brought up to the national average (95%). You have now collected all the data for your regular statistical return and notice to your disappointment that your attendance record has just fallen below your required target. On discussing with your deputy she asks if you would like her to ?re-examine and correct? the attendance data before submission. What would your choice of action be?

Re: Performance Data - Another Ethical Dillema! 95 % attendence is unrealistic..... If the reasons for absentism are genuine and the low attendence is going to effect the the future of the class and in turn the students then i would reexamine and correct. I have never hesitated to reexamine and correct the attendence record of students who have genuine reasons for absenteesm.......as long as they are doing well and I am happy with their progress. But not if the child is not serious....in that case i like to have a talk with the parent before the situation gets out of hand ....I love "giving the talk to the parents" :hic:

Re: Performance Data - Another Ethical Dillema! If the teacher had students like me he/she would be lucky to get 50% out of me. Had to file for special permission to take exams three years straight during my undergrad for failing to meet the 75% attendance requirements, used to be languishing around 50%!!

Re: Performance Data - Another Ethical Dillema! :club: gandha bachcha.... aisa nahi karte....roj school aaya karo ok :alright: nahi to mummy ko :phone: karna badega..... :girl: mumma :chin: papa ko bataegi ...phir to :ninja: :hammer: :club: hogi.......

Re: Performance Data - Another Ethical Dillema! LOL @ gator... this thing happens when some one really enjoys posting here...giving his/her best...and enjoys it... i have requested Mods here to replace some of the useless Emoticons with the ones which are used more frequently..so that we won't have to open "view more emoticons" more frequently..

Re: Performance Data - Another Ethical Dillema! i feel, to say your azz, you can lie as long as you know you are harming anyone... it is a different thing, if u have been slacking off and not doing ur job properly... it is a simple thing.... u need one more year and u r positive u will make it allright.... jus lie and keep going...

Re: Performance Data - Another Ethical Dillema! looks like the school as a bigger problem than attendance records. time to cleanup the ethics first. a) fire the deputy b) produce an honest report of the actions you have taken so far to improve attendance records. include a future plan on how you are goint to achieve the target within the next year

Re: Performance Data - Another Ethical Dillema!

Aqua -- after a few moral dilemma threads, I wonder: are you taking an ethics/morality class and getting us to do your homework for you? (because that would be unethical) :chin: (unless you pay us, then it's fine)
no rads, this was a class discussion we had a few mths back for strategic mgmt class... i found it fun, and in class it self i thought of posting it here.. but then it was the old ICF then... only got the time now... *grin*(hey, we dont have that emoticon!!!)

Re: Performance Data - Another Ethical Dillema!

looks like the school as a bigger problem than attendance records. time to cleanup the ethics first. a) fire the deputy b) produce an honest report of the actions you have taken so far to improve attendance records. include a future plan on how you are goint to achieve the target within the next year
got it spot on... cos the reason, you've been hired for only a yr and the improvement is drastic... so could be next yr, youd get better performance... maybe even 100% attendance, very possible with students like me around!!! I feel horrible when i miss a class.... And my lecturers love to have me in class cos even with my voice like a frog (due to a bad cough) i'm still actively participating in class!!! :wtg: and also fire the dishonest deputy... We can never know when she'll do it again...