500 players for IPL4 auction

bobbydhillon

KOLKATA: Even as a diplomatic row continues to brew over the recent IPL auction, another auction - which will be a far bigger affair - is just a few months away. With the BCCI committed to adding two new teams to the league and all current IPL players having served out their contracted period, the next auction, in July, promises to be the biggest trade fair in international cricket, with over 500 players expected to go under the hammer. According to a reliable IPL source, the existing eight franchises will be allowed to retain up to six players - four Indian and two foreigners - from their existing squad provided both parties agree to a mutual deal. However, it is not obligatory on the part of the franchises or the players to hang on each other if they are not comfortable with the idea. Barring a handful of players who choose to stay on, all others, as well as new ones itching to join the IPL bandwagon will be treated as free players and will have to go through the auction in order to find berths in 10 teams which will compete for honours next season. The two new teams will have to recruit afresh. The IPL plans to limit the number of matches played by a player to a maximum of 14 in order to manage the extra workload. It also plans to raise the cap on foreign players to at least 12 players per team, but the restriction on foreign players in the playing XI will remain. According to the IPL source, the BCCI is dead against allowing more than four foreigners in the playing XI to protect the interests of the Indian players. The logic behind raising the overall cap on foreigners to 12 is the increased matches due to the new teams. With 10 teams now in the fray, vying with one another on a home and away basis, the total number of matches will also jump from 60 to 94. With each team required to play at least 18 matches, the IPL plans to limit the number of matches played by a player to a maximum of 14 in order to manage the extra workload. This means every franchise will be obliged to rotate not only their players but also the captaincy in order to make the optimum use of the available resources. The IPL, on the other hand, plans to cope with this problem of plenty by scheduling matches in the morning session, especially on weekends and holidays. In IPL 1 & 2 matches had been slotted only in the evenings, with the early match scheduled at 4 pm and the late match from 8 pm. The final schedule, of course, will have to be worked out in consultation with IPL’s telecast partners. The IPL also plans to do away with the icon tag for star players which means that even the big guns like Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag and Yuvraj Singh will figure in the auction list unless their current employers choose to retain them. However, one thing is for sure. Unlike in the first IPL auction where reputation mattered more than pedigree of the players, the July auction will see current form getting more weightage. So players doing well in IPL-3 and the ICC World T20 in the West Indies will be the hot picks and not old lions who are long in the tooth

they should increase to 5 foreign players in Playing XI
No IPL at the moment hasn't done much for Indian cricket, reducing the number of Indian players in the playing XI will mean less opportunity and exposure for the Indian players. I like the limit on the number of games a player can play, hopefully it will reduce breakdowns

I like many points in this new auction .. rotation of players with max. of 14 matches, rotating captaincy, the current form of the players, the removal of icon players and morning matches during weekends and holidays are good ideas... this would mean they would not have to extend the schedule but might accommodate all the 94 matches within 45 or 50 days itself .. secondly player rotation would mean less fatigue for the players But I would also agree 5 internationals per team as there would be a must for player rotation .. there are 10 internationals per team and 6 are nearly wasted each year... if there is player rotation it would help too

The best part is the deal to retain 6 players .. it would not dilute the whole team while giving chances to the new franchisees too.. there are 10 intl. players so that would mean 8 intl. players would need to be released.. the new franchisees will find a bit of problem in the first year maybe but then they can exchange good players or buy new talents The biggest problem for the new franchisees would be the domestic talents because there are hardly 4 good domestic players every team and it would mean the existing franchisees would retain the best domestic talents which are the hardest to find .. but again any team can win IPL with even an average but hard working team and a good captain and RR has already proved that

I cant believe THIS!!!! ONLY 6 Players to be retained with only 2 internationals!!!! WTF There is no proper flow in the teams. Chopping and changing the players like a popcorn machine. All the fans and franchises are just starting to get to know how the system works and style of play and attitude needed. BUT this MODI decides to put the players into giant hat and starts randomly auction off again.WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He could at least let the franchises make the decisions by letting them do the trades........Are we gonna put the whole pool of players to auction everytime a new team joins the league WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe THIS!!!! ONLY 6 Players to be retained with only 2 internationals!!!! WTF There is no proper flow in the teams. Chopping and changing the players like a popcorn machine. All the fans and franchises are just starting to get to know how the system works and style of play and attitude needed. BUT this MODI decides to put the players into giant hat and starts randomly auction off again.WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He could at least let the franchises make the decisions by letting them do the trades........Are we gonna put the whole pool of players to auction everytime a new team joins the league WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i see your point but the 2 new teams will be at a distinct disadvantage if franchises decide to keep most of its players.

i see your point but the 2 new teams will be at a distinct disadvantage if franchises decide to keep most of its players.
BUt it deregulates the whole freaken league.............The two new teams should like get extra spending money or something so that they have a advantage of getting good players moreso then othe teams.........

this might actually help BRC' date='we have the most deadwood of all the teams.We can dispose of them in one fell swoop.[/quote'] grrrrrrr.........look at teams like Deccan, which 2 internationals are they suppose to keep between Gilly, Roy, Styris, Fidel Edwards and Kemar Roach and Herchelle Gibbs????

You are right. Now when we are getting comfortable with the teams. Modi decides to change it again.

I think this auction will have a negative impact on the league..........after 3 yrs, nobody would want a auction of this large scale. The franchises must be pulling their hairs out after knowing about this news. All the hard work and effort to bring their franchises has to be restarted again because of MODI............

Guest DeveGowda
500 players :yikes: btw, where do i sign up for the auction? :woot: edit: willing to serve drinks and wash clothes for US $20,000 wonly
I am ready to work for $9,999 ....:hysterical: