VVS should bat at ?

champ

So the team is announced and the big players Rahul and UV are out with injuries and an oppurtunity for many others to establish themselves .. notably Vijay and Badrinath. VVS should bat i down now in absence of RD and not allow Vijay at 3 to soak up the pressure in an all important series. Also VVS batting 1 down brings back memories of the famous innings he played against OZs .. Do you feel the same ??

No. I'm okay with Vijay batting at #3. He is an opener and he can accelerate the inning as well anchor it as we saw he did with Sehwag at Nagpur and Mumbai. I think Laxman should bat at #5 with Badri at 6 so that all the inexperienced batsmen are distributed with experienced ones.

Vijay has looked solid and comfortable so far in the games he's played' date=' but this series is a very important one and number 3 is a vital batting position. So I wouldn't mind if a senior like Laxman took that spot[/quote'] That's a fair argument and I think is a route they might consider - VVS batted at 3 the last (and only time) Rahul missed a Test as well. However, no.3 requires similar qualities as an opener plus, as Chandan says, being able to punish the bowling if the openers get off to a good start, and Vijay is capable of this. I'm happy either way - there is no way a guy like Rahul can be replaced but we are where we are given the injury situation and at least Vijay has looked OK at Test level so far. I'm more concerned about Badri - huge pressure on him not just because of Steyn/Morkel but also making his debut so late and could easily prove a one Test wonder if he doesn't score big and Rahul returns next game
That's a fair argument and I think is a route they might consider - VVS batted at 3 the last (and only time) Rahul missed a Test as well. However' date=' no.3 requires similar qualities as an opener plus, as Chandan says, being able to punish the bowling if the openers get off to a good start, and Vijay is capable of this. I'm happy either way - there is no way a guy like Rahul can be replaced but we are where we are given the injury situation and at least Vijay has looked OK at Test level so far. [b']I'm more concerned about Badri - huge pressure on him not just because of Steyn/Morkel but also making his debut so late and could easily prove a one Test wonder if he doesn't score big and Rahul returns next game
exxactly... im not very positive about badri.. he is not having a good season.. and he wud be personally under a lot of pressure to perform for he knows that if he fails here, that will be the end of his international career... I dont expect him to perform here.. sadly he doesnt have luck and time on his side..

We already have enough quality up the order (Viru, GG and Sach), we need VVS to bolster the middle-order. No.5 is just about right for him. And the debutant badri at no.6 means he is perfectly sandwiched between the two experienced batsmen.

That's a fair argument and I think is a route they might consider - VVS batted at 3 the last (and only time) Rahul missed a Test as well. However' date=' no.3 requires similar qualities as an opener plus, as Chandan says, being able to punish the bowling if the openers get off to a good start, and Vijay is capable of this. I'm happy either way - there is no way a guy like Rahul can be replaced but we are where we are given the injury situation and at least Vijay has looked OK at Test level so far. I'm more concerned about Badri - huge pressure on him not just because of Steyn/Morkel but also making his debut so late and could easily prove a one Test wonder if he doesn't score big and Rahul returns next game[/quote'] VVS can easily punish bowlers too, he usually has a pretty fast scoring rate. I haven't seen enough of Badri to comment on him
Any top oder collapse means it will be down to two rookies and Dhoni. That is why Laxman has to come down. We have to take a chance with Vijay. In all the 3 tests he played he was completely at home.
He's batted on some decent batting strips; more than likely these pitches will be the same lol, so it may work out fine
He's batted on some decent batting strips; more than likely these pitches will be the same lol' date=' so it may work out fine[/quote'] On a decent bowling surface we all know how other teams bat. South Africa in one of the one dayer, Australia at sydney, England in the last test. Besides Lachu averages only 30 against South Africa after 13 tests. Yet to score a 100.