A cricketing millionaire ... who averages 17

Prudent

kieronpollard-420x0.jpg He is the epitome of the Twenty20 generation, but Kieron Pollard still maintains some old-fashioned values that many traditionalists would find hard to reconcile. Pollard, a batting all-rounder who has yet to play a Test, and averages just 11.30 in one-dayers and 17.20 in Twenty20s for his country, is already a multimillionaire thanks to the evolution of domestic tournaments offering never-before-seen riches. For a boy who grew up in a poor home in Tacarigua, Trinidad, raised by a single mother alongside two younger sisters, this new world presents him with an opportunity. Pollard, 22, wants to ensure his newborn son Kaiden never suffers the hunger he experienced and that his mother is rewarded for her toil. ''My upbringing, I wasn't from a wealthy family,'' Pollard said. ''For me, getting afforded the opportunity to play cricket , and being able to make a lot of money, that drives me you know, because you don't want to end up in that situation again. ''You have family, I have started my own family as well, so it's a matter of me trying to work hard enough to provide for my family so they won't have to go through what I went through when I was growing up, so that's my drive to try to perform and succeed at the highest level. ''It was pretty tough, it wasn't ideal getting up and your mum say 'We only have X amount of money'. ''It was pretty hard growing up, and we had a lot of sacrifices to make in order to play cricket, because cricket is an expensive game, all the equipment and getting sponsors. ''Now that I'm successful it's easy to get a sponsor but growing up in the ranks nobody knew what you needed at that point, so it was pretty hard. ''My mum was a single parent so she had to work really hard, so my aim is to repay her and give her the best possible life. She is getting older, so I want to give her the best possible retirement life she could have.'' Critics argue that he doesn't deserve such wealth, having achieved little on the international stage, but Pollard's efforts in the Champions League and Australia's Big Bash have made him the most sought-after Twenty20 player in the world. Read on.... http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/a-cricketing-millionaire--who-averages-17-20100204-ng9n.html