Sehwag proves once again: Batting Strike rate matters a heck in tests.

patriot

I remember Giles getting Tendulkar out' date=' maybe he didnt want to get out to similar tactics again.[/quote'] You din't watch the match. Sehwag and Tendulkar batting together. Giles bowls negative leg side trash. Sehwag decides enough is enough and takes him to the cleaners by using his feet. Tendulkar who had been patiently and unprovokedly negoriating the leg stump line decides to go the Sehwag way and gets stumped.

Scoring rapidly is a double edged sword in test cricket. It works both ways. Had Veeru not got support from other bats, this test would have been like Bangalore '05, MCG '03, Nagpur '10. In the examples I cited, the opposition got ample time to bat big and then bowl us out a second time. This is not restricted to Veeru of course. As an example, Tendulkar's quick tons at Edgbaston, Bloemfontein, Cape Town etc resulted in losses as well because they didn't take much time. I have always maintained that given our historic weak bowling, a Dravid ton is way more important to securing against a loss than a ton from anyone else simply because of the time he takes to compile a three figure score.

Nah...lesser lead mean less pressure. SAffies would have scraped it in all probability. Viv Richards is unanimously considered the great test match winner of his era, when others had equal or better averages. Wonder why ?
certainly the reason their team was a world beater in their era was their Fearsome Pace bowling. Not Viv Richards! they had Gordon Greenidge + Desmond Haynes, Clive Lloyd, Jeoff Dujon and Gomez/Richie Richardson/Alvin Kalicharan... unanimously...?:hysterical: by you and your mirror image? may be...
because he had 4 truly outstanding fast bowlers in his team rather than the opposition .... these guys could defend meagre totals .... I mean Michael Holding had the worst stats out of those 4 :-D
LOL. You are only contradicting yourself. His bowlers had such deadly strike rate ( worse in the sub 50's ) that he din'nt need to score at a bludgeoning rate. ....and we have a set of bowlers whose cumulative test match bowling strike rate is very high for a world beating side and therefore need much more time to bowl the opposition out and therefore need batsmen to score runs faster.
That is your way of looking at things. All I am alluding to is that, he is our greatest ever test match winner. Never in Indian Test cricket have batsmen won such impossible victories. What Veeru has done by and large, he is probably the greatest match winning test match batter ever !
No its your way of looking at things by calling everyone else's SR pathetic

Sehwag is my fav test bat. No disrespect to Tendulkar, Dravid and Laxman. They are almsot up there but Sehwag's batting has this x factor even though Tendulkar and Dravid are far superior technically. These 4 are the pillars of Indian batting and certainly there is a post Veeru and Pre Veeru era in Indian test cricket.

You din't watch the match. Sehwag and Tendulkar batting together. Giles bowls negative leg side trash. Sehwag decides enough is enough and takes him to the cleaners by using his feet. Tendulkar who had been patiently and unprovokedly negoriating the leg stump line decides to go the Sehwag way and gets stumped.
I had watched the series.. if my memory serves correct, SRT scored almost equal number of runs in that series to what the combined aggregate of Dravid + VVS + Ganguly. when so much is expected of a batsman, it is not fair to criticise him for not risking his wicket in the pursuit of quick runs, in a game destined to draw..but why leave an opportunity to take pot shots at SRT?:hysterical: SRT has never made quick hundreds or meaningful runs against quality bowling or scored at a fast pace to win a test for india. are you happy?:haha: have a good sleep!( i am sure you would have lost sleep on SRT scoring last 2 hundreds...

Why do we watch sports?? Entertainment... and watching a Test match which lasts for 5 day is Maha-boring.. thats why the only player I will pay to watch is Sehwag... Most of our victories in Test matches are because of him.... against England, Southafrica, Australia, Srilanka... and Yes, Strike rate does matter in Test matches as well

Because the crazy middle order we have with the likes of tendulkar, laxman in it, Sehwag has had the licence to go crazy all the time which works. Now comparing Sehwag strike rate to tendulkar or say laxman's strike rate is just not on. When tendulkar and Sehwag or Laxman-Sehwag are batting, you would expect Sehwag to go after opposition's bowling with VVS scoring at a easy rate. Thats how it's work and thats how it has been working for our team India since the inclusion of sehwag in the test squad. Thats the reason why we are no. 1

Because the crazy middle order we have with the likes of tendulkar, laxman in it, Sehwag has had the licence to go crazy all the time which works. Now comparing Sehwag strike rate to tendulkar or say laxman's strike rate is just not on. When tendulkar and Sehwag or Laxman-Sehwag are batting, you would expect Sehwag to go after opposition's bowling with VVS scoring at a easy rate. Thats how it's work and thats how it has been working for our team India since the inclusion of sehwag in the test squad. Thats the reason why we are no. 1
I agree completely. If not for our rock solid middle order, I doubt Sehwag will play that freely. Its a combined effort but you CAN'T DENY THE ENTERTAINMENT Sehwag provides is unmatched in the history of Indian cricket..TALKING ABOUT TEST LEVEL.
++++++ Read this