Sehwag proves once again: Batting Strike rate matters a heck in tests.

patriot

When we were 160/7 against Bangladesh and Tendulkar clawed us back in the game' date=' tab Sehwag kahan gaya tha, Company Garden?[/quote'] For someone who has consistently remained bullheaded about our chances and our deserved NO.1 status against SA as lately as 2 days back...that sounds very contradicting -if you don't expect our team to anyhow beat a pathetic Bangladeshi team without a key player. :hmmm:
For someone who has consistently remained bullheaded about our chances and our deserved NO.1 status against SA as lately as 2 days back...that sounds very contradicting -if you don't expect our team to anyhow beat a pathetic Bangladeshi team without a key player. :hmmm:
I don't see the correlation. Regarding, our chances and our status as number 1, I had faith in this top notch team and they delivered. You were, as usual, left with egg on the face. My post was about your discounting centuries against Bangladesh, I was emphasizing that not all of them are cheap runs. Sometimes, you find yourself in tough spots even against weak teams and the effort to dig the team out from there cannot be overlooked. Or better still, not get into tough spots in the first place.
Its funny how Patriot whips up these dour debates on who is responsible for how many of India's victories etc, as though one can assign exclusive weights to the individual performances of all the players. :laugh: This is a team game. Sehwag's so called blitzkrieg in the Chennai test against England would have counted for nought had Sachin and Yuvraj not put that tremendous partnership together. Rather than realizing this, if one is hell-bent on segregating players based on their 'contributions' to Indian team wins, then not only is that extremely unscientific and unsophisticated, but it is also (deliberately) divisive.
Ofcourse it is a team game and all individual performances count. Agreed. But certain players as match winners are many cuts above the crowd. DOn Bradman as great as he was with his 99 avg would have mattered zilch had the remaining batters not done their part. Does that mean he is not extraordinarily outstanding ? Ditto Sehwag.
I don't see the correlation. Regarding' date=' our chances and our status as number 1, [b']I had faith in this top notch team and they delivered. You were, as usual, left with egg on the face. My post was about your discounting centuries against Bangladesh, I was emphasizing that not all of them are cheap runs. Sometimes, you find yourself in tough spots even against weak teams and the effort to dig the team out from there cannot be overlooked. Or better still, not get into tough spots in the first place.
Thats just your silly usual insinuation. I was spot on. http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=206250
Our batsmen have had a great run. It is not beyond Steyn to have a great 5fer spell. Our batters make our bowler look better than they are by posting MASSIVE runs. Our bowlers have to be prepared to perform when our batters post match total of between 500- 600. One poor batting session / great bowling spell by Steyn could cost us a test and then the best we can do is draw the series. So a 2 match series is dangerous that way . I would have backed our team to take the series 100 % if it were 3 match or more. I know we have Zakky and Bhajji too. But Bhajji has been a defensive leg stump darter for a while now. But just look at Styens strike rate and average. None of our bowlers are even close. I am sure he is going to have atleast one awesome spell. Hopefully our bowlers can retaliate collectively to counter that.
Ofcourse it is a team game and all individual performances count. Agreed. But certain players as match winners are many cuts above the crowd. DOn Bradman as great as he was with his 99 avg would have mattered zilch had the remaining batters not done their part. Does that mean he is not extraordinarily outstanding ? Ditto Sehwag.
I dunno if you get personal kicks out of hammering people and bigging up others, but its extremely unscientific to go around attributing percentages to roles played by individual players in our wins, especially when there's so little to choose from our different performers. In a team-dynamic, the roles of different players are so woven into each other. Hence, your 'Sehwag is this, Sachin is that' is woefully short.
I dunno if you get personal kicks out of hammering people and bigging up others, but its extremely unscientific to go around attributing percentages to roles played by individual players in our wins, especially when there's so little to choose from our different performers. In a team-dynamic, the roles of different players are so woven into each other. Hence, your 'Sehwag is this, Sachin is that' is woefully short.
No I am of the view that a certain players individual stats are bigged up endlessly and someone else does not get the credit he deserves. Glad that, it is changing because SEHWAG HAS CHANGED the way India is playing test cricket - The Aussie way, with that great run rate( minus the great bowling). Here Derek Pringle says something that most will soon realise. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/india/6875729/Virender-Sehwag-the-greatest-player-of-the-decade.html
Tendulkar stole all the plaudits when he completed the task with an unbeaten century the following day, but those present at the ground had seen how Sehwag had crushed England’s belief beyond repair. The fallout and recriminations eventually cost both Pietersen and Peter Moores, England’s captain and head coach, their jobs, but then it was a most destructive innings He should be much better known than he is, even in India, and would be but for the monopoly of Tendulkar, his friend and rival.

Okay - enough crap about biggest match winners. In a team game, its team effort that counts (barring few exceptions here and there). Had it been about singlehanded winners - SRT would have had got us 30-50% more wins. This test match was one the biggest example of team effort. ZAK, bhajji, Sehwag, SRT, Lax, MSD.. and even Mishra (Kallis wkt was as key a moment as it was first inning collapse of SA).

No I am of the view that a certain players individual stats are bigged up endlessly and someone else does not get the credit he deserves. Glad that, it is changing because SEHWAG HAS CHANGED the way India is playing test cricket - The Aussie way, with that great run rate( minus the great bowling). Here Derek Pringle says something that most will soon realise. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/india/6875729/Virender-Sehwag-the-greatest-player-of-the-decade.html
Who cares what Derek Pringle has to say. Fact of the matter is, we still needed 250 runs on the last day
Yeah chasing 250 on day 5 is not a joke ... and anyone with an iota of cricketing knowledge will tell you that 9 ot of 10 times players with good technique and temperment will be prefered over the attacking batsman to get your team over the rope.
Anyone with an iota of knowledge .. would not think being attacking means not having good technique and temperament. They are not mutually exclusive. If anything for all this cr@p talk abotu Sehwag's technique his defence is tighter than SRT - rarely does he get bold through the gate or LBW as often as SRT. He lacks foot movement but more than makes up for it with great hands. Sure getting 250 is not a joke on the 5th day - But he dismantled England so thoroughly that their bowling just dint recover from that assault and set India up for an impossible win. To see what failure of his typical spectacular assault can do for the psyche of the rest of the batsmen just see below: http://http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64127.html We just dug ourselves into an extremely negative mindset and lost the plot totally.
Anyone with an iota of knowledge .. would not think being attacking means not having good technique and temperament. They are not mutually exclusive. If anything for all this cr@p talk abotu Sehwag's technique his defence is tighter than SRT - rarely does he get bold through the gate or LBW as often as SRT. He lacks foot movement but more than makes up for it with great hands. Sure getting 250 is not a joke on the 5th day - But he dismantled England so thoroughly that their bowling just dint recover from that assault and set India up for an impossible win. To see what failure of his typical spectacular assault can do for the psyche of the rest of the batsmen just see below: http://http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64127.html We just dug ourselves into an extremely negative mindset and lost the plot totally.
They both have pretty similar records for being bowled and getting out LBW.
It has turned into a Sehwag vs Tendulkar thread :giggle:
Yeah..it seems blasphemous to criticize SRT here in light of any champion batter in the team. You don't get away from it without being hounded by his legion of fans. IT IS A FACT - That SEHWAG is the most influential test batter we have had since Gavaskar. Even before Gambhir came on to the scene as our next great bat , Sehwag's thunderous starts unsettled the best of oppositions and allowed the guys following to settle down.