Sehwag proves once again: Batting Strike rate matters a heck in tests.

patriot

As I said earlier' date=' this Sehwag inspiring the rest of the Indian batting in some mystical manner theory would be put to test within a couple of years when the middle order has left the scene and I can pretty safely say that neither will Sehwag remain so dominant and neither will he be able to forge successful partnerships with the incumbents as he does now.[/quote'] Why are you guys drawing that doomsday scenario? I would want Sehwag to be deadly, Sachin to be as consistent, Dravid to be as mean accumulator, Gambhir to be as steady and Laxman to be as good for as for as possible!! And why do you all get so upset at Patriot's childish churning of numbers? It is a pity that a cricket fan can't see beyond numbers to enjoy a game like test cricket but then, he has chosen this path himself. We can't help him.
Why are you guys drawing that doomsday scenario? I would want Sehwag to be deadly, Sachin to be as consistent, Dravid to be as mean accumulator, Gambhir to be as steady and Laxman to be as good for as for as possible!! And why do you all get so upset at Patriot's childish churning of numbers? It is a pity that a cricket fan can't see beyond numbers to enjoy a game like test cricket but then, he has chosen this path himself. We can't help him.
Chandan Auntyji, we have a whole section dedicated to cricket statistics. And statistics are a huge part of cricket. There are half a dozen posters who post alot more on cricket numbers. I started this thread with a noble intention. But alas, different rules apply to different people. And awl izz well on ICF only as long as everything good is said about SRT. The moment there is even a semblance of critique, the person becomes childish and silly. I hear you.

Strike rate matters only on batting friendly pitches; that is because it helps to put more pressure on the opposition batsmen who otherwise are tough to dismiss on these tracks. Coming to comparison between sehwag and sachin, neither of them is the greatest test match winne (batting), because that tag is already owned by RD

Chandan Auntyji' date=' we have a whole section dedicated to cricket statistics. And statistics are a huge part of cricket. There are half a dozen posters who post alot more on cricket numbers. I started this thread with a noble intention. But alas, different rules apply to different people. And awl izz well on ICF only as long as everything good is said about SRT. The moment there is even a semblance of critique, the person becomes childish and silly. I hear you.[/quote'] Nahi, patriot uncleji. Numbers are just a part of cricket, not everything in it. You have to enjoy the plots, the sub-plots, the strengths, the weaknesses, the roles of the players, how they play it and how much successful they are in it, the questions asked by the opposition, the answer given and then finally, after lots of drama..the result! Numbers don't matter much then. Sehwag plays for India, so does Sachin, so does Laxman and so do others. If the team will have 11 Sehwags, they'll fail miserarably, likewise not eleven Sachins or eleven Laxmans or eleven bhajjis would do. You need to have a blend of all these players. If we've had a McGrath in the mix we'd have been a truly champion side. But even when we don't have him, we should appreciate that we have such diverse talent and not go on highlighting only one portion of the team having 10 other portions, each equally important in a performance. Try enjoying it once that way. You'll see the difference.
And lastly - I was Sachin's greatest fan till Sehwag came on the scene. I have great great respect for his 20+ service to Indian cricket. He is India's great son. But he is not our greatest test match batsmen. I also do not appreciate the media and Mumbai lobby's obsession with his personal landmarks. He too focuses unhealthily on the 3 figure mark - it cna clearly be seen in his game. It is truly nauseating, this obsession with a single players personal landmarks.
Here is a statistic for you. Sehwag has scored 50 or more in an inning only in 37 matches out of a total 76 he has played so far. Tendulkar has done it in 93 out of 166 matches. That roughly translates to 17% more consistency in more than twice the amount of matches played. You will agree that it should have been the other way round as Sehwag is just approaching the crest of his career graph while Tendulkar is well past his prime. If Sehwag goes through the kind of slump that SRT went through in the middle of the last decade as injuries began to take toll, his consistency is bound to slip further. If that happens, Sehwag whose primary responsibility as an opening batsmen is to protect the middle order from the new ball may end up hurting India's cause more often than he helps India win, especially, after our famed middle-order batsmen retire. Again, this is not to belittle Sehwag, but a true comparison can be made only when Sehwag reaches the end of his career.
And lastly - I was Sachin's greatest fan till Sehwag came on the scene. I have great great respect for his 20+ service to Indian cricket. He is India's great son. But he is not our greatest test match batsmen. I also do not appreciate the media and Mumbai lobby's obsession with his personal landmarks. He too focuses unhealthily on the 3 figure mark - it cna clearly be seen in his game. It is truly nauseating, this obsession with a single players personal landmarks.
Come, come, you are no fan of Sehwag or Ponting or anyone else. None of your threads ever focus on praising these players. Your sole aim seems to be to put Sachin down and whichever player's whichever innigns/stats help you, you latch onto him. Now that Ponting has lost form its Sehwag. Soon it will be Jesse Ryder
Chandan Auntyji' date=' we have a whole section dedicated to cricket statistics. And statistics are a huge part of cricket. There are half a dozen posters who post alot more on cricket numbers. I started this thread with a noble intention. But alas, different rules apply to different people. And awl izz well on ICF only as long as everything good is said about SRT. The moment there is even a semblance of critique, the person becomes childish and silly. I hear you.
Noble intention??? calling a scoring rate of 50-54 as pathetic is a noble intention? do you think others are also as dumb as you? are you for real? on one side, you are praising Dravid's performance as Great abroad and say even if he did not do well against Akram & Waqar in India or Donald & co in india, thats fine as long as Debang Gandhis and S.Ramesh can score off them. But you conveniently forget Dravid's slow scoring rate in india. but you have the gall to call SRT's 52 strike rate in the last test as pathetic. Then most of Dravid's performances in India are pathetic according to you. But since I 'know' my cricket, i will call you a retard. As far as Calling SRT's performances against Zimbabwae of 90's and early 2000's as freebies, that single statement categorically proves how grossly prejudiced you are. You should be ashamed about calling yourself a cricket fan. You must be the most biased person and must be leading a miserable life whenever SRT scores well and performs well for the team. I am sure you would have never played any first class cricket in life and what qualifies you to call SRT's performance against BD and Zimboks as freebie. the same Zimboks team which conceded so many hundreds to SRT, WON a test series in Pakistan!!! All it takes to get dismissed in cricket is one good delivery or a poor umpiring decision. BD always had atleast 1 very good left arm spinner and one decent seamer. Any honest fan would acknowledge the importance of Sachin's hundred which literally saved India from ignominy against BD recently.But u push it aside as a freebie because you must be as close to a psycho case as there can be or a liar and coward who cant accept the truth. I am extremely happy as an Indian Cricket Fan because we can enjoy the brilliance of Sehwag, The technical greatness of Dravid and the artistry of SRT, the wonderful wristy strokes of Laxman, the Off side play of Ganguly, powerhitting of Yuvi & Dhoni. We must be blessed to witness all these special players live most of the time! instead of thanking God for giving us such pleasure, if you start a thread with the sole intention of running down a player, just because he is praised by most people, you must take help from a psychiatrist. something is drastically wrong with you mentally.

Patriot argues that Sehwag sets up matches, and it's difficult to argue against this. He brings another dimension to this side though, and that's in chasing down seemingly insurmountable totals. His ten third innings tons have come while chasing an average opposition target of 472. Over the same period, Tendulkar's 3rd innings tons have been scored while chasing down an average target of 307. There is no doubt that Sehwag is as unflappable as they come, and I would wager no current player betters his record chasing down big targets. In fact, six of those Sehwag hundreds have been scored after 500+ totals by the opposition, a situation that would have spelled almost inevitable defeat for India in the yesteryears. On one of those occasions, India did still manage to lose to Pakistan at Bangalore, despite his 201.

Noble intention??? calling a scoring rate of 50-54 as pathetic is a noble intention? do you think others are also as dumb as you? are you for real? on one side, you are praising Dravid's performance as Great abroad and say even if he did not do well against Akram & Waqar in India or Donald & co in india, thats fine as long as Debang Gandhis and S.Ramesh can score off them. But you conveniently forget Dravid's slow scoring rate in india. but you have the gall to call SRT's 52 strike rate in the last test as pathetic. Then most of Dravid's performances in India are pathetic according to you. But since I 'know' my cricket, i will call you a retard. As far as Calling SRT's performances against Zimbabwae of 90's and early 2000's as freebies, that single statement categorically proves how grossly prejudiced you are. You should be ashamed about calling yourself a cricket fan. You must be the most biased person and must be leading a miserable life whenever SRT scores well and performs well for the team. I am sure you would have never played any first class cricket in life and what qualifies you to call SRT's performance against BD and Zimboks as freebie. the same Zimboks team which conceded so many hundreds to SRT, WON a test series in Pakistan!!! All it takes to get dismissed in cricket is one good delivery or a poor umpiring decision. BD always had atleast 1 very good left arm spinner and one decent seamer. Any honest fan would acknowledge the importance of Sachin's hundred which literally saved India from ignominy against BD recently.But u push it aside as a freebie because you must be as close to a psycho case as there can be or a liar and coward who cant accept the truth. I am extremely happy as an Indian Cricket Fan because we can enjoy the brilliance of Sehwag, The technical greatness of Dravid and the artistry of SRT, the wonderful wristy strokes of Laxman, the Off side play of Ganguly, powerhitting of Yuvi & Dhoni. We must be blessed to witness all these special players live most of the time! instead of thanking God for giving us such pleasure, if you start a thread with the sole intention of running down a player, just because he is praised by most people, you must take help from a psychiatrist. something is drastically wrong with you mentally.
Top Post :hatsoff:
Dhondy, You don't need to argue about Sehwag's uniqueness with Indian cricket fan. I think the others are resisting his habit of putting one Indian player down to show other's greatness. I don't think that is needed. And I support others in this.
Comparisons are odious, but must be made. Boss has had a longstanding thread where he puts Sehwag ahead of Viv Richards. One of the reasons he puts forward is that Sehwag has to face the red cherry, while Viv batted down the order. That argument also works against Tendulkar, yet I haven't heard anybody make it, including Boss himself. Why? People here need to be dispassionate and not take things personally. Cricketers are public figures, earn millions, and are there to be shot down.

And Chandan, I have never heard you speak out against the various threads on "Pawnting" and "How much Pietersen mek". That's fine with me, but nobody should come here and tell me that it's OK to criticise these players but that Tendulkar should be spared because he is some kind of sacred cow. There can't be one set of rules for Paul and another for Peter.

Luzlers ! Thanks for the laugh Rajan. :haha::haha::haha: It is funny that someone like you who gets his chaaddis in a twist because of someone's personal opinion /preference about one player over a another has the cheek to address someone by such colorful epithets. If anything, it shows you up as a mentally weak individual who gets riled up at the drop of a hat and can't reconcile to the fact that each one is entitled to his own views. I don't have to have played first class cricket, to express my opinion. 95 % of India hasn't played cricket. So should all those people stop expressing opinions ? If you can't argue ( rightly or wrongly ) like a mature individual without resorting to abuse over a forum, you should probably walk out with you twisted knickers. I have the greatest respect for Dravid - because he has countless times held fort for us overseas when rest of the batters have crumbled. He completed the job more often than not, which is why the admiration. Why get your chaddis in a twist, if I say strike rate of 50- 54 is pathetic in this batsmans day and age ? What do you want me to call it ? That worthy of being called a master " blasters" strike rate.:hysterical:. Ok, if you say so. It, is funny that you doubt my credentials as a genuine fan of our No.1 ranked Indian team and then express doubts that they would not able to overcome a pathetic Bangladeshi side because of a 1st innings deficit, without the help of SRT. What sort of mentally weak fan are you. Eh ? I bet a couple of Ranji sides from each zone would beat the current Bangladeshi team anywhere in the world. You probably enjoyed someone's deadly assaults on Pommie Mbangwa, Paul Strang, Henry Olanga etc..in the 90's and early 2000's that you are again talking about. I get more excited by someone who scores tons at run a ball against 95 mph phassst bowlers and all time great spinners like Muralithran, as if it is a walk in the park. I also admire Sehwag more, because almost everytime he scores a ton, he scores BIG ton, and makes it count, in a manner that no one apart from Bradman ever has. Sachin for all I care, could play till the age of 40 and score 55 test tons, as long as he serves his role in the team. I would still rate Sehwag as the most vital cog in the batting line up, so long as he too continues in the manner that he has. Let us just say, I admire a more attacking brand of test cricket...you got a problem with that ?
3 Others will all get equal credit for scoring centuries. Sachin scored his at a strike rate of about 52. VVS and Dhoni and 55 and 70 odd. Sehwag's massive 160+ comes as usual at about run a ball. Had he scored this at a pathetic strike rate of 50-54. He would have consumed 120 more deliveries or 20 more overs. Result of this test would have been a sorry draw and Saffies would have walked away with a 1-0 victory. In the non-Sehwag era we would have created a martyr of a couple of batters. What can they do if the bowlers are not good enough to take 20 wickets .....they are scoring the runs and ( tons ), thats all they can do, most would have said. A quick glance at the Multan score board against Pakistan 5th day of that match and it seems that too would have been a draw if not for the blitzkrieg rate of scoring the triple by Sehwag. Then that T20 like approach in that 80 from 60 odd in the victory against England chasing an impossible 387 in India. These come readily to mind. I am sure there are many more that Bheem can look up on his database. You can score those runs, but if you can't score them quick enough to help your team win they matter zilch, except for your personal records. As someone rightly pointed out,modern Indian test cricket can be clearly be classified into 2 eras, pre- Veeru and post Veeru. :hatsoff:
True! He does not get sufficient credit in India where most people are shy to label him as a great. But he is truly one of the greatest cricketers that India has produced on par with Tendulkar and probably even better. Ian Chappell also lauded his ability to make huge scores and make them in quick time in order to setup victories, a trait that was missing in former good players like Geoff Boycott.
Comparisons are odious, but must be made. Boss has had a longstanding thread where he puts Sehwag ahead of Viv Richards. One of the reasons he puts forward is that Sehwag has to face the red cherry, while Viv batted down the order. That argument also works against Tendulkar, yet I haven't heard anybody make it, including Boss himself. Why? People here need to be dispassionate and not take things personally. Cricketers are public figures, earn millions, and are there to be shot down.
Dhondy, Comparisons with players of other teams is fine, but why compare the two players when of them play for the team I or you support? It is but obvious that all seven batsmen have been assigned different roles according to their strengths. Just tell me, will India win a match if 7 wannabe Sehwags enter the final XI? I think Sehwag is a boon to Indian team but to prove that, I don't have to show other six batsmen in poor light. I am a great fans of Sehwag and have my heart beat racing like no other time, when he is batting. But I'm an equally big fan of Sachin who I've seen waging a lone battle on countless occasions, Dravid, who has been the backbone of our team, home or away and has such a strong mind and attitude that seems to be saying to the opposition that if they have to make a breakthrough, it'll only be through his deadbody. And Laxman whose artistry is something which makes me gasp all the time. How can I put any of these players down? I was equally irritated when we had several Sachin vs Dravid threads 3-4 years back on ICF. But thank God, the forummers got over it. One may like one player more over other from the same team, but you don't need to put him down to show your admiration over other.
And Chandan' date=' I have never heard you speak out against the various threads on "Pawnting" and "How much Pietersen mek". That's fine with me, but nobody should come here and tell me that it's OK to criticise these players but that Tendulkar should be spared because he is some kind of sacred cow. There can't be one set of rules for Paul and another for Peter.[/quote'] I don't like making fun of other team's player too. But since I follow other teams as well, I know why our Indian forummers get irked by few players and Ponting is certainly one of them. I have no sympathy for him since Sydney 2008. I don't think any player should be spared of criticism if he is playing badly. But the thing is that Sachin is not playing badly. Harbhajan was terrible for some time and he rightly coped the criticism, though I don't agree with going in his personal life and criticising him for things which we've heard only through media and calling him all sorts of name. So tell me, why should we criticise Sachin now? Just because Sehwag is playing brilliantly? That doesn't sound right to me and I am with others who are opposing it.
Luzlers ! Thanks for the laugh Rajan. :haha::haha::haha: It is funny that someone like you who gets his chaaddis in a twist because of someone's personal opinion /preference about one player over a another has the cheek to address someone by such colorful epithets. If anything, it shows you up as a mentally weak individual who gets riled up at the drop of a hat and can't reconcile to the fact that each one is entitled to his own views.
It's laughable how people get so upset so quickly and launch in a diatribe of profanities and unrelated nonsense over a difference of opinion Whatever happened to I don't agree with what you say but will defend your right to say it?
Au contraire .... just look at their numbers in 1st match inngs .... Avg of 62.7 for Sehwag vs 71.7 for Boss ... and this over more than twice the no.of inngs .... there is simply no comparison.
Come on Bheem, stop insulting your own intelligence by such inherently silly pickings. I don't believe you are so poor. How come you are not taking the collective 1st innings ? i.e also including 1st innings when batting 2nd. If anything, this puts more pressure on the batsman when first up you are put up against a mammoth total - which are team has conceded countless times. Such deliberate selective pickings, only show that you are clutching straws to defend a futile argument. The actual 1st innings numbers are Avg of 68.4 for Sehwag vs Avg of 62.88 for SRT If you go on a more accurate basis - runs/1st match innings - Sehwag ( 67.5 ) is even more ahead of SRT ( 59.41) !!!
likewise in matches won 61 vs 67 ... again no comparison.
Again clutching tiny straws !!! Most great players lack motivation against pi$$ poor test minnows like Bangladesh against whom the eventual result is a foregone conclusion. Some others see it as a great opportunity..and set their stalls for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I would exclude Bangbros from any meaningful comparison, because your boss has feasted on them so much ( 5 tons in 7 games Avg of 136) ................................................................ that when you exclude Bangbros from Averages in matches won the comparison is. Sehwag avg - 64 , SRT avg 60 Sehwag - 64 Sachin - 60 ...if I take out matches won against poor Zimbabwe ( another team against whom SRT has cashed in big time) especially when they toured India..SRT's number's plummet further...I won't because Rajan thinks very highly of PAul Strang, Henry Olanga, Mbangwa and Co. :D
Again no disrespect to Sehwag ... he has some astounding feats next to his name which I drool upon endlessly in other threads but one must be insane to question the greatest ever to hold a cricket bat !
Greatest ever to hold bat ? LOL. If this is on the basis of sheerly playing quantity of matches and therefore accumulating records based on longetivity, then Bradman has been already surpassed by over 50 batters and Jayawardene and Kallis are already greater than Vivian Richards and Gavaskar respectively. I prefer sheer quality over quantity.