Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010

Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010  

1. 1.

• With an Hour Left Today
    • Tomorrow After Lunch
    • Other

Looks like we'll only see India and SA bat once each in the first test.
I wouldn't be so sure...we have six batsmen only and two of them are newbies. Make no mistake, if Steyn and Morkel can take out Veeru and GG early on, we will be under huge pressure. So much hinges on their partnership...
I see ur point.i was myself dissapointing with his line.but if u read Dhoni's interview yesterday' date='Dhoni said Mishra was doing a holding job.so it may well be the role given him to him to which line he is bowling.also after tea today,he changed his line to middle n off forced the batsman to play n beat.he even troubled Amla who was batting on 200.he needed a bit of luck which didnt go his way[/quote'] Perhaps I am being a bit too exacting. But see, there is only one way I would rate a spinner as good. That is if he troubles the batsman even when the latter is defending. Look at it from that point of view. Mishra did beat the bat. But when? Basically when Amla was trying to reach out for something outside off stump. Not really the kind of bowling that could be described as attacking leg spin. I am not saying Mishra is hopeless. Just that his line means that he was doing nothing but a holding job. If Dhoni instructed him to do this, which I highly doubt, one can only conclude that Dhoni has no sense of strategy. The reason I am sure this is not Dhoni's idea is that Mishra has consistently bowled this kind of line - even at Bangladesh. Its more of a bowlers' thought process issue. He does not want the batsman to hit boundaries off him. I feel, as a leg spinner, he has to invite batsmen to have a go. Comfortable singles off a leg spinner should affect him more than slogged boundaries.

Yeah good points- Hazare would be a good anchor but a bit slow a run scorer IMO and not sure if Solkar is good enough a bat or bowl though he could catch a bit Its an ace team though :woot: Theoretically, a cracking ODI team who've never played an ODI. Agressive (if inconsistent) batsmen, lively new ball pair, high class spin attack, good fielding side and packed with allrounders

Eden curator in a fix Eden curator in a fix A STAFF REPORTER Calcutta: The Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) curator Prabir Mukherjee is in a fix. Mukherjee got a call from a top Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) official, “instructing him to prepare a turning track†for the second Test between India and South Africa. “I got a call from one of the BCCI officials requesting me to prepare a turning track as per the wish of the team management. However, I have clearly told him that I want an official communication, like an e-mail, stating what should be the nature of the wicket. Also, I don’t know how we can change the nature of the strip overnight,†Mukherjee told The Telegraph on Sunday. The nature of the Eden Gardens wicket over the past few years has changed a lot. The last Test match between India and Pakistan in November-December 2007 had ended in a draw. There is an underlying fear that trying to change the nature of the wicket at this time may turn it into an “under prepared†one. It may be recalled that Mukherjee had once turned down the team management (Rahul Dravid and Greg Chappell)’s request to remove the grass from the strip during an one-dayer back in 2005. The opponents then, too, were Graeme Smith’s South Africa. The Indians lost that match. http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100208/jsp/sports/story_12079124.jsp

Why do our curators try to be smartasses and prepare a "sporting" wicket only for us to watch runs being piled on them ? Don't they have any cricketing knowledge or reckoning of cricketing history of the touring party in India ? FFS, some of these guys are just attention wh0r3s

Hmm, I'd fire this idiot right now and appoint a new curator. Which team is he rooting for? The dude seems almost surprised by the request for a turning track, what the bloody hell was he thinking otherwise anyway? Way before the test series began, this is what I had wanted to happpen;

Nagpur will be a highway, Kolkata will have a lot more for the bowlers(spinners) At least, that is the way it should be.
And if the news report is anything close to being genuine, it seems like BCCI+team management seem to have same idea also. But with 'friends' like this stupid curator, who needs enemies. FACT 1: If you're the curator of the ground thats hosting the final test of home series, you should start out preparing a spin-friendly pitch, by DEFAULT, unless given specific instructions to the contrary. There are chances we might lose the 1st/2nd test and could end facing a situation where we need to win the final test to salvage the series. (It happened in the previous Saffie series and we might yet face such a situation in this series). FACT 2: If the home board wants the curator to prepare a pitch that favors the home side, that is something that should be done discreetly. What does this guy want? That the BCCI President get on prime-time news and make an open request for a spin-friendly pitch?
Eden curator in a fix A STAFF REPORTER Calcutta: The Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) curator Prabir Mukherjee is in a fix. Mukherjee got a call from a top Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) official, “instructing him to prepare a turning track” for the second Test between India and South Africa. “I got a call from one of the BCCI officials requesting me to prepare a turning track as per the wish of the team management. However, I have clearly told him that I want an official communication, like an e-mail, stating what should be the nature of the wicket. Also, I don’t know how we can change the nature of the strip overnight,” Mukherjee told The Telegraph on Sunday. The nature of the Eden Gardens wicket over the past few years has changed a lot. The last Test match between India and Pakistan in November-December 2007 had ended in a draw. There is an underlying fear that trying to change the nature of the wicket at this time may turn it into an “under prepared” one. It may be recalled that Mukherjee had once turned down the team management (Rahul Dravid and Greg Chappell)’s request to remove the grass from the strip during an one-dayer back in 2005. The opponents then, too, were Graeme Smith’s South Africa. The Indians lost that match. http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100208/jsp/sports/story_12079124.jsp
You know what this mofo smart ***** should be told ?? He should be told that if India don't win the match , you are fired. He would know what to do with the pitch then.