M.F. Hussain accepts Qatar citizenship

Texy

hindu protests against Fire equated to what...property damage? tearing down film posters? -anyone remember "FITNA" -- a dutch film showing the link between violence and excerpts from Quran ---- how did muslims react? LIVELEAK had to take down the movie from their servers citing seriously physical threat to their staff.....open death threats were announced at mosques after friday prayers from pakistan to Indonesia. -Sudanese Teddy bear case: Gillian Gibbons was arrested for "insulting islam" by naming one of the teddy bears in class "Mohammed" -She was arrested and given 15 days prison time and deportation to UK -10,000 people marched the streets chanting death to Gibbons by firing squad, she was moved to a secret location in fear of jihadi attacks -Theo Van Gogh -- FILM: Submission -- critical of women in Islam - Theo was attacked in Amsterdam by a Dutch-moroccan man and his throat was slashed in broad daylight..he died due to severe wounds -Md. Bouyeri shot Van Gogh 7 times and then stabbed him several times nearly beheading him. - A note was left behind threatening jews and justifying the act with similar fate of 7th century poets Abu 'Afak, Asma bint Marwan and Ka'b ibn al-Ashraf--- who dared to criticize Koran

hindu protests against Fire equated to what...property damage? tearing down film posters? -anyone remember "FITNA" -- a dutch film showing the link between violence and excerpts from Quran ---- how did muslims react? LIVELEAK had to take down the movie from their servers citing seriously physical threat to their staff.....open death threats were announced at mosques after friday prayers from pakistan to Indonesia. -Sudanese Teddy bear case: Gillian Gibbons was arrested for "insulting islam" by naming one of the teddy bears in class "Mohammed" -She was arrested and given 15 days prison time and deportation to UK -10,000 people marched the streets chanting death to Gibbons by firing squad, she was moved to a secret location in fear of jihadi attacks -Theo Van Gogh -- FILM: Submission -- critical of women in Islam - Theo was attacked in Amsterdam by a Dutch-moroccan man and his throat was slashed in broad daylight..he died due to severe wounds -Md. Bouyeri shot Van Gogh 7 times and then stabbed him several times nearly beheading him. - A note was left behind threatening jews and justifying the act with similar fate of 7th century poets Abu 'Afak, Asma bint Marwan and Ka'b ibn al-Ashraf--- who dared to criticize Koran
So basically you are comparing hindus with muslim terrorists? Has the bar been set so low? This shouldnt be about Islam Vs hindus. This should only be about Hindus. I would love to see a movie about the true colors of Mohammed, married to a 8 years old, all the wars etc. But, thats not going to happen because of the terrorists. I am not talking about al-qaeda but common brainwashed muslims who walk on the same street as u and I , who become a raging lunatic when someone is critical of their beloved violent religion. Is this what you want hinduism to symbolize? Hatred and violence?

So basically you are comparing hindus with muslim terrorists? Has the bar been set so low? This shouldnt be about Islam Vs hindus. This should only be about Hindus. I would love to see a movie about the true colors of Mohammed, married to a 8 years old, all the wars etc. But, thats not going to happen because of the terrorists. I am not talking about al-qaeda but common brainwashed muslims who walk on the same street as u and I , who become a raging lunatic when someone is critical of their beloved violent religion. Is this what you want hinduism to symbolize? Hatred and violence?
He is not saying we want to stoop to their level. But it doesn't mean we (hindus) have to just keep our mouth shut and give up all right to even respond. While it may be nothing to some of you it does offend quite a few people and I bet it will totally offend most people from earlier generations.

:giggle::giggle: now the wrangling is over 2 names which are easily amongst the most common names in North India. Coffee saab umeed karta hoon aap is vishay pe roshni dulte huye dekh rahe hain. :--D Seedhi saab the reason why I invoked Fire was simply to show how Hindu conservative get easily riled even by works from Hindu artists(and is not limited to MFH). Thanks for proving my point. xxx
You are a sane poster here, but if you think those names were randomly picked or the film makers didn't know the consequences of using those names then you're being delusional :hysterical:

You are a sane poster here' date=' but if you think those names were randomly picked or the film makers didn't know the consequences of using those names then you're being [b']delusional :hysterical:
Retarded could be a better word.. It's pretty easy to blame everything and all the evils on Hindu Right Wing while absolving successive Hypocritical Congress Govt. who are/were in power throughout doing nothing for the self-respect of Hindus..

:giggle::giggle: now the wrangling is over 2 names which are easily amongst the most common names in North India. Coffee saab umeed karta hoon aap is vishay pe roshni dulte huye dekh rahe hain. :--D Seedhi saab the reason why I invoked Fire was simply to show how Hindu conservative get easily riled even by works from Hindu artists(and is not limited to MFH). Thanks for proving my point. xxx
You know why Hindu conservatives get riled up? Because of the inaction of successive Governemnts to assuge their feelings and self-respect. While the Govt. takes care in banning all controversial stuff related to Islam or Christianity (for example Satanic Verses, Da Vinci Code etc.), it leaves the 'action' against Anti-Hindu stuff in the hands of Right Wing conservatives.. Then all the Liberal, Secular parties join in unison to pooh-pooh the Right wing Hindu conservatives.. So it's actually a win-win proposition for Congress and all the Pseudo-Seculars..

MF Husain's works to feature in Dubai art extravaganza

DUBAI: Works of legendary painter M F Husain will feature in a special section later this month at the Art Dubai 2010, billed as Middle East's biggest art event. "Of the galleries participating in Art Dubai 2010, up to a quarter are innovating by creating Artist Focus Stands which feature the work of only one or two artists. Among the artists being showcased in the Artist Focus Stands is M F Husain," said the organisers of the four-day fair that begins on March 17.
Link

For every 'Fire', I can list a lot of novels esp in Kannada and Tamil which are controversial (alternate versions of Mahabharata where Draupadi lusts after Karna, and where Sita marries Ravana), written by hindu writers, but still I don't see chaddidhaars opposing these works of art, akin to MoFo. There have been some protests to ban the work, where some of them have even got Gnanapith (Sahitya Academy) awards.
No one protested or opposed M.F. Hussain's work for 25 years either - one fine day it all becomes offensive to Hindus and they are "outraged" by it. Funny, to say the least. How can you not see the blatant political motivation behind it! If tomorrow people feel "outraged" by ancient Indian temples depicting nude images, should we start dismantling those as well? First and foremost there should be freedom of artistic expression, regardless who is expressing it. Secondly, there is a time for such things. It might be a natural reaction from a community to protest when a painting or a piece of writing comes out. To accept it for 25 years, and then not only protest, but ransack the guys house and issue death threats is ridiculous. Even a protest at that point hardly seems justified. What changed so radically in our society within 25 years for us to become so intolerant?

No one protested or opposed M.F. Hussain's work for 25 years either - one fine day it all becomes offensive to Hindus and they are "outraged" by it. Funny, to say the least. How can you not see the blatant political motivation behind it! If tomorrow people feel "outraged" by ancient Indian temples depicting nude images, should we start dismantling those as well? First and foremost there should be freedom of artistic expression, regardless who is expressing it. Secondly, there is a time for such things. It might be a natural reaction from a community to protest when a painting or a piece of writing comes out. To accept it for 25 years, and then not only protest, but ransack the guys house and issue death threats is ridiculous. Even a protest at that point hardly seems justified. What changed so radically in our society within 25 years for us to become so intolerant?
I understand that some of the protests by Shiv Sena and Bajrang Dal happened only after his work was published in 1996 in some magazine, but I have heard of his controversial nude work even before that. I don't think any sane minded Hindu who worships these deities would be ok to have them painted in the nude no matter when they were painted or when they were published in a mag or when some of these orgs (some of whom are ofc politically motivated) started their protests. The point here is not the motive of protesters, rather the abuse of a religion and it's deities by someone in the name of art.

]For every 'Fire'' date=' I can list a lot of novels esp in Kannada and Tamil which are controversial (alternate versions of Mahabharata where Draupadi lusts after Karna, and where Sita marries Ravana), written by hindu writers, but still I don't see chaddidhaars opposing these works of art, akin to MoFo[/b']. There have been some protests to ban the work, where some of them have even got Gnanapith (Sahitya Academy) awards. The case of Fire as I see, had a lot of deliberately written characters to create controversy. - names of characters - the men are close-minded a'holes blindly worshipping some guru - hindu women shown going to a mosque and praying. And foremost worst thing about the movie for which it deserves the treatment is because of her explanation about how women become lesbians because they are treated badly by men. That is Bull crap. Then 95% of Indian women would have been lesbians by her logic.
I hope you realize how conviniently you have moved the goalpost here. Your initial assertion was -Hindus would not be as riled if the art was done by Hindus. It has now transcended into -Well okay but look we have been patient as well. By the way, the whole issue of Hindu mythology, Ramayana and Mahabharta in particular, being different, and in some parts of the country being controversial, is down to our ancient legacy of "word of mouth". Hindus do NOT write literature as caste in stone, unlike say Islam and Christianity(who have, as some would call it, hard and fast rules laid down). Indeed this has been a unique point about our culture thus allowing for multitude of ideas. To quote a friend of mine - We dont bury our dead, we cremate them so they are not static but omnipresent. You can extend that same analogy to our culture as well. You are essentially pushing this whole cultural backdrop from word of mouth towards caste in stone, thus mimicing the very people who you have disagreement with!! xxx

I hope you realize how conviniently you have moved the goalpost here. Your initial assertion was -Hindus would not be as riled if the art was done by Hindus. It has now transcended into -Well okay but look we have been patient as well. xxx
I never said that. To quote me again:
It will not be 'cool', but definitely the outrage from the majority Hindus would not be this extreme.
Ideally, they should have been equally riled. But in practice, the bitterness is lesser when a ghar-ka-aadmi has abused you or a baahar-ka-aadmi. MFH is alien to Hindus, in our mind, he has no right to depict our gods having sex with animals. I guess there is a limit to being liberal/tolerant.

If a person, who has grown up revering gods and godesses like Ram-Sita, Laxmi-Ganesha, Durga (and who doesn't know the intricasies like whether Hiduism flexible, word of mouth or something else) sees MFH's paintings of Durga having sex with Lion, Laxmi sitting naked on the head of her son Ganesha, Ravana sexually abusing Seeta forcing her to sit on his lap naked, after kidnapping her...What should be this persons reaction? In normal circumstances.. Not get offended? Why? Will he or she try to analyse the paintings like this, "oh well, our religion is not clear about that..Ravana might has raped Sita (who knows?)..Laxmi might as well be indulging in incest..Maybe Durga used to have sex with Lion..I was not told about that by huge chips in the shoulders Liberals and Secular people..I should shut up and put up.." Is this reaction you guys are expecting from Hindu people? Those normal Hindus, who have never imagined a mother being naked with son or for that matter Ravana forcibly having naked Sita on his lap..

So, in your mind, Tibetans have no right to protest Chinese occupation now because it doesn't satisfy the statute of limitations. A wrong which is exposed (for whatever means) is wrong when religious sensibilities are concerned. It was not centuries later (as perceived in cases of Ayodhya and Buddha stautes in Afghanistan). Budda abhi bhi saans to le raha hai! More over, the protests were after it was published to a wider audience, earlier it was only in private elite circles.

I am just stating that the naming of the characters was an additional grouse the protesters had. I definitely stick to my point that the naming was deliberately provocative - the director/producer/actors had to know that naming two lesbians Sita and Radha would lead to a response. Just like naming them Ayesha and Fatima would have evoked a response from the Muslim side. (Ayesha and Fatima are also popular names amongst Muslims).
It is strange how Hindu conservative keep raking that argument without even understanding the difference. Sita and Radha are godesses(sp?) in Hindu mythology. Fatima and Ayesha are mere mortals who at best can be considered companion of Mohammed, who is again considered mortal. There is no message in this post of mine but I did want to highlight the difference. Essentially by equating Radha and Ayesha you are only degrading the former. xxx

This has to be the most retarded post in this thread, and thats saying something considering this thread has BB's footprints all over it. What essentially you are suggesting here is that: a) Indian Hindu action should be compared with Global Muslim actions. b) Judge Indian Muslims based on Sudanese/Netherland etc etc Muslim actions. What you have absolutely missed out on is the fact that you have unconsciously pushed Indian Muslims towards the global Ummah. In other words Indian Hindus shall judge Indian Muslims based on non-Indian action. Well tomorrow if Sudanese Muslim, or Bangaldeshi Muslim, or Turkey whatever start meddling into Indian Muslim affair we only have to thank morons like you who could not understand the implications. xxx

You know why Hindu conservatives get riled up? Because of the inaction of successive Governemnts to assuge their feelings and self-respect. While the Govt. takes care in banning all controversial stuff related to Islam or Christianity (for example Satanic Verses, Da Vinci Code etc.), it leaves the 'action' against Anti-Hindu stuff in the hands of Right Wing conservatives..
Let me sum your logic succintly: a) When there is no outrage, no violent demonstrations etc. it is the pseduo secular nature of Indians with special credit to Congress. b) When there is outrage, it is justified and exhibits the rightful angst of Hindus. xxx

This has to be the most retarded post in this thread, and thats saying something considering this thread has BB's footprints all over it. What essentially you are suggesting here is that: a) Indian Hindu action should be compared with Global Muslim actions. b) Judge Indian Muslims based on Sudanese/Netherland etc etc Muslim actions. What you have absolutely missed out on is the fact that you have unconsciously pushed Indian Muslims towards the global Ummah. In other words Indian Hindus shall judge Indian Muslims based on non-Indian action. Well tomorrow if Sudanese Muslim, or Bangaldeshi Muslim, or Turkey whatever start meddling into Indian Muslim affair we only have to thank morons like you who could not understand the implications. xxx
Indian muslims are not innocent tolerant people (doodh ke dhule huwe). The policy of appeasement by our politicians (even BJP) has made the hindu tolerant majority take notice after almost 50 years post indepenence. A article in a newspaper which is mildly critical of their religion, they protest vehemently. Taslima has denied writing that article. Still they are on the street protesting. In the 90s, there was a similar outrage when a short story named "Mohammed the Idiot!" was published in Deccan Herald. The govt starts to ban such articles books, movies even before there are any protests, while they blindly allow MFH to publish lewd paintings of Hindu goddesses having sex with animals.

In the words of the holy MF: "India is my motherland. I can't hate my motherland. But India rejected me. Then why should I stay in India?" "When Sangh Parivar outfits targeted me, all kept silent. No one, including political leadership, artists or intellectuals came forward to speak for me. But I know the fact that 90 per cent of the people of India love me. They are with me." Now, they are asking me to come back. I was in exile...There was no one to speak for me. No governments recalled me. Now they are asking me to return after one country offered me citizenship. How can I trust a political leadership that refused to protect me?" "It is a move against art and the artist's self-expression. I never intended to hurt anyone's sentiments through the art." :hmmm: "I only expressed my soul's creativity through art. Art's language is universal language. People who love it beyond all narrow viewpoints are my strength." "I enjoy complete freedom in Qatar. Now Qatar is my place. Here no one controls my freedom of expression. I am very happy here," :cantstop: ================= He's happy with the "freedom of expression" in Qatar :--D Unless misquoted, lets close the deal shall we ?

So' date=' in your mind, [b']Tibetans have no right to protest Chinese occupation now because it doesn't satisfy the statute of limitations. A wrong which is exposed (for whatever means) is wrong when religious sensibilities are concerned. It was not centuries later (as perceived in cases of Ayodhya and Buddha stautes in Afghanistan). Budda abhi bhi saans to le raha hai! More over, the protests were after it was published to a wider audience, earlier it was only in private elite circles.
Not a valid comparison. Tibetans have ALWAYS protested Chinse occupation. Right down from days of Pt. Nehru India has supported Tibetan protest and given shelter to likes of Dalai Lama. Indeed these days the support from Indians have started to dwindle, and not too many support Tibetans. Matter of fact two of the loudest supporters of Tibetan cause at this MB happen to be Shwetabh and myself. Your example is actually completely opposite to situation on grounds. :giggle:

Indian muslims are not innocent tolerant people (doodh ke dhule huwe). The policy of appeasement by our politicians (even BJP) has made the hindu tolerant majority take notice after almost 50 years post indepenence. A article in a newspaper which is mildly critical of their religion' date= they protest vehemently. Taslima has denied writing that article. Still they are on the street protesting. In the 90s, there was a similar outrage when a short story named "Mohammed the Idiot!" was published in Deccan Herald. The govt starts to ban such articles books, movies even before there are any protests, while they blindly allow MFH to publish lewd paintings of Hindu goddesses having sex with animals.
Of course they are not. I have clearly mentioned how Hindu fundies feed off Muslim fundies and vice versa. It is easy to denounce them both without being hyporitical. Hypocritical is when one tends to get defensive about their own religious fundies and worse making the other side responsible for the same.