Anybody hungry?

Lurker

"I am not sending you anymore invite, you just make me run to the bank to get all those statements and never turn up!". My sister was understandably livid. I had asked her to send me the papers for the third time in order to get my visa to visit her in UK. Somehow things hadn't worked out the prior two times. Aplogising profusely I told her that this time I would give it my best shot. There are a few things quite famous about England. No I am not talking about Piccadilly or Big Ben or Lord's or Wembley. Not even Stonehenge. I am talking about things quintessential to England lifestyle. English summer, English manerism, English breakfast. "So what would you get me for English breakfast?" I asked. "English vegetarian sausage, poached egg, baked beans, toast, and hash brown kha lena..with tea if u must" she answered. "But I get all this things here in US, whats so big about English breakfast then??" No wonder England and US are called two countries seperated by a common language! But then it set me thinking. I could see English and American food were not very different. Same holds true for European cuisine. I am not trying to imply that all European food is the same. Not at all, but they arent very different either. Later in the night, I lay in my bed thinking. Of my childhood, my youth. In India and abroad. And I thought to myself how lucky I have been to be born in India. Yes we have our problems but we have so many plusses. I love to travel and nothing beats travelling in India. If you take a train journey from Gaya to New Delhi chances are you will get to eat something special at each station. At Gaya it would be Tilkoot, in Benaras it would be peda, Allahabad will get you the best amroods in the world, Agra the pethas just to name a few. Whenever we used to travel anywhere in India, my Dad would wake me up at each station and got me something great to eat. Compare this with the train travel I took in USA. Surviving on vending machine for two days isnt the best travelling experience I can tell you that!! You can travel in India and just sit amazed at the diversity. Food is no exception. Bihari food is totally different from Bengali though one time we were the same state. Not only in terms of what is eaten (fish vs meat) but also the medium. While in Bengal its sarson tel all the way, Bihar will have a combination of Sarson tel, Postman, Daalda. Go further north and you will get lot more butter and ghee, go south and it is coconut, palm oil! If North India has its "Mughlai" food then South India has its masala dosa. Hindus eat meat but not beef(generally speaking). Muslims eat beef but not pork (generally speaking again).Even in one city food prepared within a house is different from other household. Some house have their own 'family secrets'. Only to be passed from generation from generation. People in North eat in thaalis, people in South on wet banana leaves. In my stint in Trivandrum I just so loved visiting my friends place and having a lunch sitting on the ground having rice, rasam and banana chips. When I was in Mumbai I had a taste of vada pav, bhel poori, mango gola. In Delhi I just lost count of how many types parathas were being made in Paranthe waali gali. As my friend remarked 'Saaala itna paratha hai ke count karte karte ********* jaaye!'. I drank this huge Amritsari glass of lassi in Benaras. Out of this world. In my last trip to Gaya, I ate so many mithai my parents were scared I would catch diabetes. And I havent even started with chat, samosa and all. All my Gayaites friends still swear by Chauk ka lassi. Or anarsa in monsoon, tilkoot in winter, lai in summer. Even the chicken chilly sold at thela vendors seemed like bliss.. They say in India you can bake a potato in 100 ways. All the matter of using different spices. I agree. Actually I think 100 is a low number. Possiblities are endless...Only in India! xxx

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Anybody hungry? :wtg: :wtg: BTW talking of Benares they have some special sweets called Longlata try that.. then there is thandhai cold-drinkin which u can solicit free dose of bhang ....... :wtg: For vegetarains u must drop by in maarawai bhojanalaya in Godaulia there u are seated on floor with piddha (wooden small rug u may call it) and served food cooked in pure ghee. U won't miss your mom's food much.