Vegetarians?

Vedic_Kshatriya

I must have done this on other forums but i'm interested to know. I used to be a meat eater a while back (over a about 1 1/4 yr ago), but I went to the righteous path of vegetarianism. And over the last 2-3 months ive not even eaten eggs (including in other products)... going for the hardcore vedic route. So anyone else vegetarian here? I know its common for indians to be veggie but ive seen alot of meat eater around.

Re: Vegetarians? VK, Why do you suggest vegetarianism is the righteous path? Me I am a regular meat eater. More than a meal a day. Personally I think a 100% veggie diet is a recipe for disaster. When I say 100% veggie diet I am not including eggs. xxx

Re: Vegetarians?

Protein is essential for growth and repair and especially for young kids' date=' youths and young men, red meat is very good. Your body will be deprived of essential minerals if you don't have a balanced diet leading to poor development.[/quote'] Whoever said Protein is only present in red meat? Required protein can be had from milk, egg, soy and a lot other sources as well. Essential minerals? Minerals are made up of calcium , Iron, Pottasium and Zinc. Vegetarian food can provide all these minerals although red meat can provide iron in plenty. If you are referring to iron and B12 yes vegetarian sources may not supply as much as red meat. Still there are enough vegetarian sources that provide iron and B12. Red meat contain plenty of cholesterol and a daily intake will cause a lot of damage. You have to ensure you don't go on a red meat eating spree. Red meat is thought of as the major reason for cardiovascular problems. First thing the doctors advise people suffering from cardio problems is to cut down on red meat. I have done fair bit of study on food intake and work outs. I used to consume fair bit of meat but these days I use supplements for Iron, B12 and usually eat vegetarian food. You will soon hear a clarification by our resident doctor Dhondy on this one too surely :wtg:

Protein is essential for growth and repair and especially for young kids' date=' youths and young men, red meat is very good. Your body will be deprived of essential minerals if you don't have a balanced diet leading to poor development.[/quote'] Whoever said Protein is only present in red meat? Required protein can be had from milk, egg, soy and a lot other sources as well. Essential minerals? Minerals are made up of calcium , Iron, Pottasium and Zinc. Vegetarian food can provide all these minerals although red meat can provide iron in plenty. If you are referring to iron and B12 yes vegetarian sources may not supply as much as red meat. Still there are enough vegetarian sources that provide iron and B12. Red meat contain plenty of cholesterol and a daily intake will cause a lot of damage. You have to ensure you don't go on a red meat eating spree. Red meat is thought of as the major reason for cardiovascular problems. First thing the doctors advise people suffering from cardio problems is to cut down on red meat. I have done fair bit of study on food intake and work outs. I used to consume fair bit of meat but these days I use supplements for Iron, B12 and usually eat vegetarian food. You will soon hear a clarification by our resident doctor Dhondy on this one too surely :wtg:
Fully agree Ravi. That's why i emphasised that it's good for youungsters. Dhondy is a very clever guy so i'm sure he'll provide a balanced view. :wtg:

Re: Vegetarians? Coming from a North Indian family, i've always been a full-fledged meat eater. I don't know how one can make a transistion from being a meat eater to a vegetarian, it totally cuts down your options.

Whoever said Protein is only present in red meat? Required protein can be had from milk' date=' egg, soy and a lot other sources as well.[/quote'] ...stuff like soya, nuts, grains and other errr..."organic" food groups do contain traces of protein, however the shape of the protein is different. They are usually lacking in 1 or 2 essential amino acids and aren't complete. Animal tissue is also more similar to human tissue than plant, hence why MEAT is more conducive for growth and muscle development. Meat = you know it makes sense... :wtg:

Guest dada_rocks

Protein is essential for growth and repair and especially for young kids' date=' youths and young men, red meat is very good. Your body will be deprived of essential minerals if you don't have a balanced diet leading to poor development.[/quote'] Other than fish for evolution reasons no non-veg stuff is mandatory every nutrient is available in vegetarian foods.

Guest dada_rocks

VK, Why do you suggest vegetarianism is the righteous path? Me I am a regular meat eater. More than a meal a day. Personally I think a 100% veggie diet is a recipe for disaster. When I say 100% veggie diet I am not including eggs. xxx
Self-preservation at any cost, spritually speaking is not a righteous virtue, it has animalistic hue to it and I think he is talking from that pedestal. Despite being meat eater I kind of agree with him, why should human life human race has to be put before everything else is beyond me. I don't know what kind of distater you are insinuating here but even if it means wiping out of human race so what. Everyday many species disappear from the face of earth and no qayamat has befallen so by extrapolation even if human race disappears nothing will change the show will go on. Self-serving instincts doesn't a righteous behaviour make.

Re: Vegetarians? Have always been a full fledged meat eater, but for over a year I have been avoiding meat and fish (with few exceptions here and there), but still eat eggs. And yes, vegetarianism is a righteous path (at least much better and I'm speaking as a lifelong meat eater), I hope to be a full vegetarian soon.

Re: Vegetarians? i am a meat-eater, though i love vegetables too..... but i would have to say, you can and will get proteins, minerals, vitamins and everything necessary for a healthy life from a vegetarian and dairy diet..... yes, u will not be abnormally huge(genes play a role too), but u can still be fit, healthy and strong on a pure vegetarian diet.... i have as one of my goals to quit meat completely in 2-3 years.... strangely, i do feel guilty nowadays and tht does mean, my mind is trying to tell me something....

Re: Vegetarians? Umm. I eat food. Food is what people cook or i cook and eat. If i am hungry, i eat whats considered 'food' by most people- doesnt matter, sometimes its junk food, sometimes fast food, sometimes indian, other ethnic, meat, fried, veggies, just empty carbs and sometimes even just pepsi and cup-o-noodles. Sometimes its been fried breaded grasshoppers. Ie, i just eat food. I just try to keep eating non-fried and veggie food as much as i can and junk food as less as i can but otherwise, i am not particular about food. On the topic of meat- i'd just prefer not to eat food specifically killed for me when there were other options or its not bushmeat/rare exotic animals that have no business entering my stomach.

And yes, vegetarianism is a righteous path (at least much better and I'm speaking as a lifelong meat eater), I hope to be a full vegetarian soon.
It is a bit debatable though in extent. Absolute vegitarianism is pretty dumb in my opinion. If i am starving, i got nothing to eat and a gun, well some animal is gonna die and go in my stomach. Or if my old mother is starving and i need to kill the cow outdoors, well its a dead cow then. If anyone offers food out of the kindness of their heart or even just with good intent and hospitality, i dont think it would be very good to refuse it. I dont think that the hardline vegitarians realise this : there is nothing positive to be gained from refusing meat if its offered to you by chance (say you turned up at some wedding where everything is meat-based). The creature is already dead, your refusal will not make any less creatures slaughtered, it will not even prove a point to anybody but yourself about your beleif in the ethos of vegitarianism and that in itself is very hollow if it cannot realise and make special exceptions for nothing is absolute. Instead, refusing it would only hurt the feelings of someone else even if mildly. Nothing positive- but something negetive.