Pet peeves about new gadgets/technologies..

Lurker

Okay time for hearing some rants about new technologies. Let me go first. For some reason I really get ticked off with people using that bluetooth thingy on their ears. I mean I can totally understand when one is driving but I cannot for the love of God understand when a person takes calls infront of others and talks via his bluetooth. I always thought talks were private. There is this gentleman who wears his bluetooth on his ear daylong regardless of whether he is taking calls or not! A decade back people would have thought it to be a hearing aid and he may not have been so proud..today it seems to be the styloo thing..

Re: Pet peeves about new gadgets/technologies.. i hate cell fones. PERIOD. (OTOH, i love caller ID.) i hate cookies and syslog files--yeah, my ID got stolen. i hate biometrics--since i fly very very often. i hate the bank machine still asking me if I prefer English or Spanish, despite my having answered English consistently since the Beatles broke up. i hate voice-menu systems that seem designed to crush the spirit, with a half-dozen options for each step. Every few minutes I must re-input my account number or PIN or password or the last three characters of my postal code? when all I want is a live person. i hate the relentless use of PowerPoint every time three or more people gather. i hate every program automatically starting when I turn on my computer, so 25 things in my task bar consume half my computer?s memory before I?m even working on anything. (Does QuickTime always need to run in the background, checking for updates?) i hate popups. I install a pop-up blocker, and then I can?t voluntarily open a window within a site I?m deliberately visiting without answering the blocker?s multiple-choice questions about pop-up options: Allow now? Allow forever? Forbid eternally? Solution: Let?s get rid of pop-ups entirely. i hate the TV remotes in hotels.. way too many sub-menus. i also hate (even more) the stupid cards that never seem to work and open the goshdarned door. (and why is it that those same facking doors never latch shut properly when u leave in the AM??) (TO BE CONTINUED--Lurker, great thread)

Re: Pet peeves about new gadgets/technologies.. I can't appreciate PDAs, cell phones and pagers (yes I still use a pager). Cell phone and pagers for obvious reasons, people at work can always get in touch with you either on cell phone or pagers. I don't own a cell phone but have one given by my employer. I can't appreciate PDAs particularly with the ones working in IT. The only time we get to keep away from PCs are after hours and I have lot of my mates playing with PDAs after work. They are nothing but a small version of your PC. Why not try and get away from it after work atleast?

Re: Pet peeves about new gadgets/technologies.. i hsve a soln to one of ur problems, though i am not an IT guy...

i hate every program automatically starting when I turn on my computer, so 25 things in my task bar consume half my computer?s memory before I?m even working on anything. (Does QuickTime always need to run in the background, checking for updates?)
type msconfig in your command prompt.... a window will appear.... click on the tab "startup" uncheck all these irrelevant ones.... save and close... restart .. u r good to go....

Re: Pet peeves about new gadgets/technologies..

i hate popups. I install a pop-up blocker, and then I can?t voluntarily open a window within a site I?m deliberately visiting without answering the blocker?s multiple-choice questions about pop-up options: Allow now? Allow forever? Forbid eternally? Solution: Let?s get rid of pop-ups entirely. (TO BE CONTINUED--Lurker, great thread)
Hahaha...Trust me I know your pain! It pisses me off no end when I go to a site and the next link never opens due to pop-up blocker. Sometimes I even don't realize whats happening and keep pressing till wisdom dawns on me. Another thing I have started to hate of late is to log into my online banking and keep answering 3 questions for my security. On one hand I do realize it is a safety measure but come on there has to a be limit of ID stealing. Isnt anything sacrosant anymore? Till then I am answering my Mom's middle name for online banking queries....

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Pet peeves about new gadgets/technologies.. Your peeves is understandable but there are many nation whose love life is dependant on blue-tooth... for instance in saudi there is no other way to meet opposite sex given state ban on being seen in public with male/female not related, so for the sake of love go blue-tooth :lmao: Pyar ke dushman :hic: I for one can't stand those laptop brandishing gentry at airports.. flight is in half an hour and they will switch it ON.