A reading of the points table

Holysmoke

Currently the points table looks like this... opppvc.png Now, with respect to semifinal berth, here is the scenario... Mumbai - In Delhi - need to win 2/3 Bangalore - need to win 2/3 Rajasthan - need to win 2/2 Chennai - need to win 3/3 Kolkata - need to win 3/3 Deccan - need to win 3/3 Punjab - out. So basically, only Dehli and Bangalore can afford to lose a game and still make it to the semis.. Now the game today is Deccan v Bangalore, and the game tomorrow is Mumbai v Delhi.. If Bangalore loses today, and Mumbai wins tomorrow, we will have a scenario where every single game in the ipl can be a knockout game. :omg:

Currently the points table looks like this... opppvc.png Now, with respect to semifinal berth, here is the scenario... Mumbai - In Delhi - need to win 2/3 Bangalore - need to win 2/3 Rajasthan - need to win 2/2 Chennai - need to win 3/3 Kolkata - need to win 3/3 Deccan - need to win 3/3 Punjab - out. So basically, only Dehli and Bangalore can afford to lose a game and still make it to the semis.. Now the game today is Deccan v Bangalore, and the game tomorrow is Mumbai v Delhi.. If Bangalore loses today, and Mumbai wins tomorrow, we will have a scenario where every single game in the ipl can be a knockout game. :omg:
Is there any possiblilty that mumbai could be knocked out if they lose all the 3 games at hand? is it possible for 4 teams to overtake mumbai? :hmmm: i think punjab n mumbai have equal chances of gettin in n gettin out of semis

46th match - Deccan Chargers v Royal Challengers Bangalore BRC 47th match - Mumbai Indians v Delhi Daredevils MI 48th match - Chennai Super Kings v Kolkata Knight Riders CSK 49th match - Rajasthan Royals v Royal Challengers Bangalore BRC 50th match - Chennai Super Kings v Delhi Daredevils CSK 51st match - Kings XI Punjab v Deccan Chargers KXIP 52nd match - Royal Challengers Bangalore v Mumbai Indians MI OR BRC doesnt matter 53rd match - Kolkata Knight Riders v Rajasthan Royals rajasthan: KKR 54th match - Kings XI Punjab v Chennai Super Kings KXIP 55th match - Delhi Daredevils v Deccan Chargers DC 56th match - Kolkata Knight Riders v Mumbai Indians MI In this case. MI have 20 or 22 points. BRC have 16 or 18 points. CSK have 14 points. Rest all tied on 12. So punjab can make it remote outside chance. But Delhi and Rajasthan currently have higher rune rate. You can tweak this a bit to get a different scenario and punjab could still make it. But they have to win with big margins and hope for the results to go in such a way that teams with lower r.r. get tied on 12, and the ones with higher rr move up the table to 14 leaving the fight for only one 4th place semi spot, which most likely wont happen.

I m not sure which scenario is good for csk.. i guess RCB winning is favourable for csk..
Definately, BRC must go thru. They have a much higher rr so they will qualify anyway. You want to compete with teams with lesser run rate and even better, the teams with less r.r. shouldnt even move up to same points as your team, making life easier for your team. So, as a chennai fan, best bet is for BRC to win.

46th match - Deccan Chargers v Royal Challengers Bangalore BRC 47th match - Mumbai Indians v Delhi Daredevils MI 48th match - Chennai Super Kings v Kolkata Knight Riders CSK 49th match - Rajasthan Royals v Royal Challengers Bangalore BRC 50th match - Chennai Super Kings v Delhi Daredevils CSK 51st match - Kings XI Punjab v Deccan Chargers KXIP 52nd match - Royal Challengers Bangalore v Mumbai Indians MI OR BRC doesnt matter 53rd match - Kolkata Knight Riders v Rajasthan Royals rajasthan: KKR 54th match - Kings XI Punjab v Chennai Super Kings KXIP 55th match - Delhi Daredevils v Deccan Chargers DC 56th match - Kolkata Knight Riders v Mumbai Indians MI In this case. MI have 20 or 22 points. BRC have 16 or 18 points. CSK have 14 points. Rest all tied on 12. So punjab can make it remote outside chance. But Delhi and Rajasthan currently have higher rune rate. You can tweak this a bit to get a different scenario and punjab could still make it. But they have to win with big margins and hope for the results to goin such a way that teams with lower r.r. get tied on 12, and the ones with higher points move up the table to 14 leaving the fight for only one 4th place semi spot, which most likely wont happen.
What an assertion :omg: I never thought Punjab can make it to the semis, now you are showing that there is still an outside chances provided that KXIP wins all their matches and with greater margins, so still possible, but chance of that happeneing is : 0.00001% if not less :--D

Definately, BRC must go thru. They have a much higher rr so they will qualify anyway. You want to compete with teams with lesser run rate and even better, the teams with less r.r. shouldnt even move up to same points as your team, making life easier for your team. So, as a chennai fan, best bet is for BRC to win.
I agree! Exactly my thoughts.

What an assertion :omg: I never thought Punjab can make it to the semis, now you are showing that there is still an outside chances provided that KXIP wins all their matches and with greater margins, so still possible, but chance of that happeneing is : 0.00001% if not less :--D
Another tweak. Actually there are a couple of other scenarios present where punjab could tie them other teams at 12 points. BUT R.R. is the main problem.
technically, there is an outside chance which will then be decided on net run rate which isnt in their favor either although there was a chance to rectify it somewhat today against Delhi which they messed up. However, if we get these very unlikely results (unless i've made a mistake), there is a very very very very outside chance but realistically I'm afraid this is the end of the season for them. If the results were to be like this... [table=head] Match | Winner 46th match - Deccan Chargers v Royal Challengers Bangalore | DC 47th match - Mumbai Indians v Delhi Daredevils | mumbai 48th match - Chennai Super Kings v Kolkata Knight Riders |CSK 49th match - Rajasthan Royals v Royal Challengers Bangalore| Rajasthan 50th match - Chennai Super Kings v Delhi Daredevils | delhi 51st match - Kings XI Punjab v Deccan Chargers |KXIP 52nd match - Royal Challengers Bangalore v Mumbai Indians | mumbai 53rd match - Kolkata Knight Riders v Rajasthan Royals| rajasthan 54th match - Kings XI Punjab v Chennai Super Kings | KXIP 55th match - Delhi Daredevils v Deccan Chargers| delhi 56th match - Kolkata Knight Riders v Mumbai Indians | mumbai [/table] Then the points table would yield these standings. Four teams tied on 12 points and fighting for the 4th spot by their net run rate. [table=head]Team |Record | Points MI | 11-3 | 22 Raj |9-5 | 18 DD | 8-6| 16 BRC |6-8 | 12 CSK |6-8|12 KXIP|6-8|12 DC | 6-8|12 KKR |5-9| 10 [/table]

Thanks.. according to ur table chennai can even go thru with 2 wins out of 3.. but yea ur right.. i have to support BRC now.. :((