Parijaat tree presumably only of its kind in the world

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks

Parijaat Village Kintur, about 38 Kms. east of district headquarters Barabanki was named after Kunti, mother of the Pandav. There are a number ancient temples and their remains around this place. Nearby a temple established by Kunti, is a special tree called Parijaat. There are a number of sayings about this tree, which have popular acceptance. One being, Parijaat Tree Arjun brought this tree from heavens and Kunti used to offer and crown Shivji with its flowers. The other saying being, that Lord Krishna brought this tree for his beloved queen Satyabhama. Historically, though these saying may have some bearing or not, but it is true that this tree is from a very ancient background. The following is said in the Harivansh Puraan about Parijaat. Parijaat is a type of Kalpvraksh, it is said to be found only in the heavens and, whosoever makes a wish under this tree, gets fulfilled. In the Religious and ancient literature, we find a number of references to the Kalpvraksh, but no description whatsoever of its existence can be found anywhere in the world, except for only Kintur (Barabanki ). Whereby this unique Parijaat tree of Kintur holds a special place in the world. In botanical terms, PARIJAAT is known as Adansonia digitata and has been kept in a special category, because it does not produce either its fruit or its seeds, neither can its branch cuttings can be planted to reproduce a second Parijaat tree. This is a unisex male tree, the botanist say, that there is no such tree anywhere else to be found. Parijaat Flower The leaves of this tree in the lower portion has five tips like the fingers of a hand, while at the upper reaches it has seven. Its flower is very beautiful and white in colour, on drying out it takes on golden tinge. This flower has five petals. This tree blossoms very occasionally, with very few flower, but when it does, that is after the 'Ganga Dashehra', spreads its fragrance far and wide. The age of this tree is said to be 1000 to 5000 years. The perimeter of the trunk of this tree is around 50 feet and height of around 45 feet. There is another popular saying that, its branches do not break or dryout but shrink and disappear into the original trunk. The nearby people consider it to be their protector and obliging, henceforth they protect its leaves and flowers at all costs. Local people hold it in high esteem, in addition to the large number of tourists who visit to see this unique tree.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Parijaat tree presumably only of its kind in the world main bhi yahin sonch raha hun any botanist around who would like to shed sem light on this....

In botanical terms, PARIJAAT is known as Adansonia digitata and has been kept in a special category, because it does not produce either its fruit or its seeds, neither can its branch cuttings can be planted to reproduce a second Parijaat tree. This is a unisex male tree, the botanist say, that there is no such tree anywhere else to be found.
What's the relevance of this passage in light of Gator's post

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Parijaat tree presumably only of its kind in the world

Dada, I don't know what our profession is but you can surely be a Professor or an interesting person to talk to over drinks..
My PhD supervisor had the same opinion in fact forced me very hard to stay back but I needed break from university for sometime but eventually university will be my final destination..god willing.. right now I am in industrial reseach..... Talking of talk over drinks; damn jab se shaadi hui hai ye sukh bhi chhin gaya hamse :mad:

hain ? as per the article there is only one of its kind Gats ... unless you are saying that you are the resident of Barabanki ...
i am not sure, why they say tht.... we used to have it... it looks jus like jasmine except the stem is lil reddish....

Guest dada_rocks

I found mention of one more Parijaat tree in kumaun region of uttaranchal in a small village named Patal Bhuvneshwar. This humble village boasts of an underground cave complex of Lord Shiva, a Hindu god. Pandavas, the five brothers in the Hindu epic Mahabharata, had visited it before shedding their mortal frames. Here, one witnesses the Parijaat tree brought by the Hindu god, Lord Krishna from Lord Indra?s empire (fully laden with fruit and leaf in stone!), Ashoka Vriksha and the four lingams representing the four eras. Nyctanthes arbortristis Night Jasmine (E), Parijaat (N), Singhar (M) O/PI/V:Bg Fragrant flowers for worship; fuelwood from official accunt of Nepal govt. Many precious jewels came out of the Sea, heavenly nector Amrut, the tree Parijaat, the goddess of wealth Laxmi, (She married Vishnu), the poison Halaahal (Lord Shiva consumed it and saved the world from disaster.) The red Parijaat (Erythrina variegata), in bangla Madar, pavazhamalli or parijaat tree in tamilnadu http://www.ryze.com/posttopic.php?topicid=736003&confid=122 shot of the tree in Barabanki u can find here
From all this I gather that different scientiic name have ben used so I guess these other parijaat trees are not the same as in barabanki and Barbanki one is a kind of its own. I would seriousl like to vsit this place and corroborate the claim of tree branches not breaking but receding back in the trunk These trees intrigue me, we all know the medicinal value of the tree Ocimum sanctum or Sacred Basil or Tulsi but not many know a tree called Sami. Mythology says Pandava hid their weapons on this tree during agyat-was. One trait of this tree is that it will never survive in backyard of those who don't have son (sounds anti woman :-) ) but I can confirm this trait by first hand expereince. My wife's one cousin has four daughters no son and he has tried to grow this tree god knows how many times and every time this tree dies. Just next door his brother has huge Sami tree in hsi backyard. They hve got soils analysed there is no difference at all in the soil.. These things are so intriguing. I was talking to my father-in-law on this Parijjat tree of barabanki issue he happens to be knowledgable in this field used to be Deputy Director in ITRC lucknow and theese days is prof here in USA. His point if I got him correctly was that if the tree is unisex male then no other tree from the same tree can be grown but there can be another similar unisex male tree. It's kind of termination node of a particular kind of tree. Now sample this he gave me another piece of breakign news: The cousin of my wife I was talking about who has daughters only got his eldest daughter married last year. In this girl's sasuraal (husband's place) there is a humble size Paras tree ( same tree whose branch you hold in hands while going through the begging rituals during your sacred thread ceremony) nobody knows how old it is but there are many old trees in village which are sort of ageless. Anyway so last week a chinese individual dropped by ( it has become relatively common now with opening of Nathu la Pass) and offered them 15000 Rs for that tree and they were more than happy to sell it. Somehow this news spread and local police dropped by and nabbed that chinese individual from whose possession a 20-nails turtle (presumably rarest of rare) has been recovered. As it turns out the cihinese individual is a high-profile smuggler and has been thrown behind bars. Story doesn't end here. The paras tree is of rarest of rare type only two such tress exist in Bihar , preliminary research and analysis of the tree has been done by a team from nearby Poosa agricultural institue and they are offering them 50 lakh for the whole tree and five lakh for mere leaves. Tree is cordoned off and federal govt's team is awaited. So oevrnight they have turned rich.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Parijaat tree presumably only of its kind in the world Some flower that is. :wtg: .......btw how big are those trees .. the OP one looks like huge

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Parijaat tree presumably only of its kind in the world Anyway the flower just looks out of this world. Snake part is little scary. I am collecting all the names have bought a piece of land back home for creating a consternation of all the exotic fruits and flowers trees. Raising my retirement place at this age :lmao: