( DLF )Modi -- Tharoor Showdown!!

Mamu

( DLF )Modi -- Tharoor Showdown!!  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Tharoor is such a jerk..the guy has been such a disaster for Congress and country on the whole, its scary to think that we backed this cowboy for the post of UN head! I remember he had clearly denied having any 'business or equity' interest in the franchise on the day of the auction and now his socialite girlfriend has been revealed as a18% owner of the franchise. :finger:

Shashi caught in lady storm Modi tweet opens IPL can of worms SAMYABRATA RAY GOSWAMI Mumbai, April 12: Shashi Tharoor’s friend Sunanda Pushkar was given free equity by IPL Kochi and the junior foreign minister advised against prying into the consortium’s ownership, Lalit Modi has disclosed on Twitter. The claim by the IPL commissioner has sucked the junior foreign minister into the biggest controversy in his short but tumultuous political career. Modi’s revelation, which has prompted the Kochi team consortium led by Rendezvous to threaten to sue the IPL commissioner, raises the question why an acquaintance of a minister was given free equity and brings under strain Tharoor’s assertion so far that his role in the consortium was limited to that of a “mentorâ€. Wielding the same weapon that pitchforked Tharoor to the top of the popularity charts, Modi used Twitter with devastating effect on Sunday. A tweet by one of Modi’s followers Roshan Dev @LalitKModi asked: “Does sashi tharoor owns (sic!) something??†In an uncharacteristic display of candour, Modi tweeted back: “a big? I was told by him not to get into who owns rendezvous. Specially Sunanda Pushkar. Why? The same has been minuted in my records. “25% of kochi team is given free to Rendezvous sports for life. The same equity is non dilutable in perpetuity. What does that mean? Why? Wait “Who are the shareholders of rendezvous. And why have they been given this 100's of million dollar bonanza? “Kochi shareholders are: Rendezvous 25% free, Rendezvous 1%, Anchor 27%, Parinee 26%, Film waves combine 12%, Anand Shyam 8%, Vivek venugopal 1%. “Rendezvous free equity - held by kisan, shailender & pushpa gaikwad, Sunanda pushkar, Puja gulathi, jayant kotalwar, vishnu prasad, sundip agarwal.†Sunanda, who has been seen with Tharoor at several places, including in Guwahati last week, is said to have been given an 18 per cent stake in the Kochi team. But sources close to Tharoor in Kerala claimed the stake was no more than 4.7 per cent, which they justified as “sweat equity, keeping future contributions in mindâ€. The size of the stake is immaterial as the key question is why a member of a consortium that paid as much as Rs 1,533 crore will give away a part of its shares free to a person who is closely associated with Tharoor. The minister did not respond to questions on the issue today. Those who have been gifted such free equity include Kochi team CEO and Rendezvous promoter Shailendra Gaekwad. IPL sources said Gaekwad, also known as Pradeep Gaekwad, was a close friend of a top Indian cricketer. “He was born and brought up in Maharashtra’s Sholapur town. He owns a small auto agency there. His wife works with the Road Transport Office in Pune,†said an IPL source. The Companies Act has no provisions for any “free equity†(shares given to an individual or company for free). Free shares can only be given to an existing shareholder as a reward. Or they can be given as a bonus but will have to be proportionately divided among all shareholders. But such rules do not apply if a company is not registered in India. IPL sources said it was unclear whether Rendezvous was registered in India or abroad. Tharoor, who had run into controversies earlier over his tweets, had said the day the consortium won the franchise for his home state: “All I did on my part was to offer encouragement, blessings and expert advice when required to the bidders. Beyond that, I had no role to play.†The articulate minister, who had sought the advice of BJP leader and lawyer Arun Jaitely on the auction process, had added: “I am not even sure whether I know all of them, nor do I have any knowledge of the decision that how much they were going to bid. I know this Rendezvous Sports World and had met the Gaekwad brothers. I have given them all kind of encouragement but my role was limited. It was like...what shall I say...mentor sounds too grand a word.†The sources said the BCCI had washed its hands of Modi, who has been accused of breaching trust and violating a confidentiality clause. Rendezvous has sent a letter to the board in which it has threatened to sue Modi. The Tharoor camp believes Modi or someone close to him wanted to buy the Kochi team and the tweets are part of a continuing attempt to derail the consortium. The Kochi team won the IPL franchise through a second auction on March 23 after the first on March 9 was cancelled because of inadequate bidders. Consumer goods company Videocon was the only group to make a successful bid at the first auction in Mumbai but the IPL governing council eventually overruled Modi and cancelled the round. Later, Videocon had to bow to Sahara and Rendezvous at the auction held in Chennai on March 23. Sahara, with the highest bid of $370 million, had bagged Pune, and Rendezvous, with the second highest figure of $333 million, had picked up Kochi, leaving Videocon at third place with its $319.9-million bid. Had the Rendezvous deal, which has been signed with the BCCI, for Kochi fallen through for some reason, Videocon would have inherited Kochi. “According to the terms of the IPL tender for the two new teams, if Rendezvous fails to sign the contract with the BCCI within 30 days of submitting the bid, Videocon, the third highest bidder, would become the new owner of the Kochi team,†said an IPL source. Although the deal has been signed, the consortium’s detractors are hoping that a controversy might force the board to take a relook.

IPL, being a monopolistic business, is easy money. No wonder politicians wants a piece of the pie. First of all they there are so much secrecy agreements? Why can't they disclose every thing about investors, how much franchises make? How much IPL make? What do they do with money IPL earns? etc...! Unfortunately our media is sucked into the popularity of IPL, they dont raise such questions...!

It's an all out Indian Premier League (IPL) war, with Commissioner Lalit Modi pitted against Minister of State for External Affairs Minister Shashi Tharoor. After TIMES NOW revealed that Modi in his email to BCCI Chief clearly stated it was Tharoor who called him and instructed him not to reveal identities of the stakeholders of Kochi IPL franchisee, the Minister of State for External Affairs on Tuesday (April 13) denied these claims. In his official statement Shashi Tharoor accuses Modi of pressurising the consortium members to abandon their bid in favour of another city in a different state. Tharoor also denies Lalit Modi's allegation that he called him during his meeting with investors in the Kochi consortium in Bangalore on Saturday night to press him not to question the composition of the consortium. Tharoor also says he called in order to ask why Modi was further delaying the approval of the franchise when all the legal requirements had been fulfilled. "Various attempts were made by Mr. Modi and others to pressure the consortium members to abandon their bid in favour of another city in a different state. Mr. Modi raised assorted objections to the bid documents but finally had no choice but to approve them. However, I deny Mr Lalit Modi's allegation that I called him during his meeting with investors in the Kochi consortium in Bangalore on Saturday night in order to press him not to question the composition of the consortium. I called Mr Modi to ask why he was further delaying the approval of the franchise when all the legal requirements had been fulfilled,” says Tharoor. On the question of Tharoor’s interests in the franchise he adds, “I repeat that I am proud to have helped the consortium come to Kerala. I have neither invested nor received a rupee for my mentorship of the team. Whatever my personal relationships with any of the consortium members, I do not intend to benefit in any way financially from my association with the team now or at a later stage.” “A Kerala IPL team is a dream of many young people in and from the state. It has the potential to bring great material and psychological benefits to Kerala’s economy and society. The unethical efforts that have been made by Mr. Modi and others to thwart the Kerala franchise which had been won fair and square in a transparent bidding process are disgraceful. It has been clear for some time that the real motive is to assign this IPL team elsewhere than Kerala. All of us in Kerala hope that the BCCI will not permit statements and activities which seek to discredit the Kerala team before it has even had a chance to prove its worth. The public attempts by Mr. Modi to besmirch the consortium in fact bring the IPL itself into disrepute. This statement is issued by me in a personal capacity to respond to the allegations made against me personally,” his statement adds. Also, Tharoor's aide on Tuesday (April 13) tweeted on Lalit Modi and the controversy. Jacob Joseph- Tharoor's OSD has posted a news report link on Modi's past drug offense in US. Before that he tweets on how Lalit Modi's brother-in-law is co-owner of Rajasthan Royals, while Gaurav Burman, Modi's step son-in-law is a co-owner of Punjab franchise. The e-mail trail between the BCCI and Lalit Modi exposes what exactly transpired between Modi and Tharoor. Modi in his email to BCCI Chief Shashank Manohar clearly states it was Tharoor who called him and instructed him not to reveal identities of the stakeholders of Kochi IPL franchisee. The BCCI in return told Modi he was at fault for breaching code of conduct by revealing names on a public networking site. Meanwhile, Rendezvous co-owner Venugopal has also shot an e-mail to the BCCI complaining against Modi for making the shareholding pattern of the owners public.
:popcorn:

How can a auto agent from solapur own an IPL team? Seems like IPL is easy way to park black money for politicians and businessmen.

At the Haji Ali address given by Shailendra Gaikwad, the nameplate on the door of the official government quarters reads Ravi Gaikwad. When the door opened, a man who refused to reveal his identity first said he had no idea who Shailendra Gaikwad was. When questioned about IPL and the Kochi team, a woman interrupted from inside and said there are “too many Gaikwads in this building”. When told that this was the address referred to for Shailendra, the couple first said, “We have no contact with Shailendra”, and then changed it to “Give us your contact details, we will inform Shailendra”. Asked to identify himself, the man said he was Nimesh Joshi. “I have just come to meet Ravi Gaikwad. He is not at home.” But neighbours and security guards of the building said the man was Ravi Gaikwad, a RTO officer, and the woman, his wife. The family, they said, has its roots in Solapur. State government sources said that Ravi joined the transport department in the mid-1990s, is currently posted in a district in Marathwada, but had not reported to work. RTO sources said Ravi is a huge cricket buff and is known to have links in the cricketing fraternity. “He has excellent rapport with cricketers such as Vinod Kambli. If there was any cricket tournament that had to be hosted in his hometown in Solapur, he would get well-known cricketers for the event,” said one RTO official. “He used to boast of his connections not only in official circles but also politically. He used to claim his relatives were MPs and MLAs.”

IPL: Tharoor aide calls Modi 'drug peddler'

New Delhi: It's an open war between Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor and IPL commissioner Lalit Modi over the ownership of the new Kochi team with Tharoor's key aide calling Modi a "convicted drug peddler". Jacob Joseph, speaking exclusively to CNN-IBN, said: "What is the controversy about the Kochi team? Is there anybody there related to Tharoor. There are a lot of people seen at different public functions with him. Why single out Sunanda Pushkar? He is married to Crista Gilles, she lives in New York." He went on to add that "we have not got any communication from the BCCI. They hasve said our papers are in order. And for your information Modi is someone who was convicted for possession of 400 grams of cocaine and charged with assault and kidnapping. He has even served a two-year sentence and those are the kind of people who we put in charge of cricket in this country. "Why isn't he releasing the ownership of other team members? Why does he not release the holding of Rajasthan Royals?" Jacob also alleged that Modi had threatened to pull games out of Kerala and give them no access to the big players. "I am going to make sure you guys get the worst name, worst jerseys, and that you will not get access to the great players. He has openly said it," said Jacob. The aide went on to add that this issue was not about "Tharoor or Modi, but about Tharoor and the rest of Kerala." "We are going to take this on. How dare he say anything against the Kerala IPL team. He told in DNA that Kerala team will bring disrepute to IPL. How dare he says that? "Lalit Modi has brought disrepute to the name of IPL and cricket. Tharoor has no links to any of the owners. He fought for the IPL team just like we will fight for an airport, for a seaport and any other improvement we can do for Kerala. We have no ownership, we have done all this for the love of cricket and for the love of Kerala," he said. Tharoor and Modi went on a collision course after the IPL commissioner went public on Twitter on Monday questioning the ownership of the Kochi franchise. Modi trained his guns at the stake of one Sunanda Pushkar, tweeting: "I was told by him not to get into who owns Rendezvous, especially Sunanda Pushkar. Why?" The lady in question is reportedly close to the minister. While not much is actually known about the lady and her link with the consortium that bought the Kochi IPL team, sources have told CNN-IBN that Modi believes Tharoor played spin-doctor to ensure that Sunanda Pushkar gets the 4.5 per cent equity that is said to be worth between Rs 60 and 80 crore. Rendezvous responded to Modi's tweets by saying that he's violating confidentiality agreements about ownership of teams, and threatened to sue him. And reportedly, the IPL commissioner was also pulled up by the BCCI president Shashank Manohar for his public disclosure.
lol .. the Tharoor aide says that L Modi has also openly warned them that he would not let any matches to be held in Kerela, will make sure no big players is selected in Kerela team and also make sure that they have the worst jersey ... so will it mean we will see Kerela in pink jerseys next year :giggle: :popcorn:

There was no need for a Kochi or a Pune team. There's no team from Central India. Politicians should stop meddling in IPL matters. Now Politicians will try to get franchise of their hometown/city. Team from Kochi? It's not even a regular cricket center, holding occasional ODI matches and so is Pune. There are not many cricketers from Kerela, and we have a Kochi IPL team, just because one Tharoor wanted to have his own team.