( DLF )Modi -- Tharoor Showdown!!

Mamu

( DLF )Modi -- Tharoor Showdown!!  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

IPL chief does a hit-wicket as rival seizes on tweets Jaipur: Who owns Rajasthan Royals (RR)? What is the extent of IPL commissioner Lalit Modi’s role in the franchise? Politicians and cricket administrators across India were busy grappling with these questions on Tuesday after Modi got into a battle of tweets with his one-time-aide-turned-rival Sanjay Dixit, secretary, Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA). Even as Modi was busy in a slanging match with minister of state for external affairs Shashi Tharoor over the latter’s involvement in the new IPL franchise Kochi, the RCA secretary, a senior IAS officer, fired in a few bouncers of his own on the sidelines. Dixit was Modi’s right-hand man when the IPL commissioner had become the president of the RCA in 2005. But in 2008, the two had taken on each other for the president’s post. Dixit won the election comfortably. In his first tweet, Dixit categorically asked his rival: “Do disclose details about your brother-in-law and step-son-in-law and their backdoor entry into Jaipur IPL and JCV Mauritius… what I meant was Gaurav Burman. Who is Mohit Burman and how is he an investor in Kings XI Punjab?†Dixit had a series of questions on RR as well. “Lalit, please tell me how the franchisee contract was signed by Jaipur IPL when the bid was by Emerging Media?†And later, perhaps frustrated by the silence at the other end, Dixit tweeted: “He is not answering some simple questions. Tell me what should I do?†So who are these relatives Dixit has referred to? One of them is Modi’s brother-in-law Suresh Chellaram, an entrepreneur based in Nigeria, who holds a 44.1% stake in RR. Though actor Shilpa Shetty, her husband Raj Kundra and UK-based entrepreneur Manoj Badale are seen as the public faces of the successful franchise, it is Chellaram who has the biggest stake in the team. While Badale has a 32.4% stake, two companies promoted by Kundra, Shetty and media mogul Lachlan Murdoch hold the remaining 23% shares. RR was bought by its owners for a mere $67 million in 10 equal instalments in 2008. Later, nearly 15% shares were bought by Kundra’s company for double the original price. Gaurav Burman, the other relative in Dixit’s line of fire, is Modi’s stepson-in-law. Gaurav’s brother Mohit is co-owner of Kings XI Punjab with actor Preity Zinta and several others.
Link Modi on a sticky wicket and only a matter of time before gets out BOWLED !!

So The D company is now getting invloved as well..this is one heck of a Bollywood action caper B-> http://ibnlive.in.com/news/tharoor-has-received-death-threat-says-aide/113299-37-64.html?from=tn
Ok you posted before me :P It is really becoming one of the Bollywood masala movies now :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Sports Czar, Politician, Businessmen and now Underworld :giggle: BTW Manmohan Singh also commented on it from Washington saying he will take action on Tharoor if needed so add to that PM .. and then KKR refuted claims made by Tharoor's so called girlfriend Sunanda Pushkar that they approached her to act in similar role as she did with the Kochi franchisee .. so add KKR and SRK to this too So, now it is: Sports Boss cum Czar, Politician and former United Nations Under Secretary General, Businessmen, Underworld, PM and Filmstar .. lets see what next :popcorn:

Congress, BJP workers protest against Modi, Tharoor in Kerala

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: With the row over Kochi IPL team assuming political dimensions, Congress and BJP here today took to streets, burning effigies of IPL commissioner Lalit K Modi and Union Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor. The Youth Congress workers staged a protest in front of the Secretariat accusing Modi of conspiring to sabotage the Kerala IPL team. Close on the heels, a group of activists of Yuva Moracha -- BJP's youth wing, turned up on the scene and burnt an effigy of Tharoor and raised slogans demanding his resignation from the Union Council of ministers. Tharoor represents Thiruvananthapuaram in the Lok Sabha.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_kochi-ipl-row-congress-bjp-workers-protest-against-modi-tharoor_1371296 :popcorn:

More masala news.. after this controversies and allegations of hidden money made on each other by Modi and the Kochi IPL franchisee, Income Tax department has now said that they will probe into the IPL funding to check there is no money laundering going on in IPL .. and KXIP has responded to it saying they are clean and are ready for any Income Tax probe .. other franchisees and Modi has not yet responded or commented on it :popcorn:

Of intrigue and arm-twisting in high places Aditi Phadnis / New Delhi April 14, 2010, 0:03 IST Told to take money and withdraw, the successful but frightened Kochi franchise winners seek Sonia’s protection. Harassed and bullied, the Kochi franchisees of cricket’s Indian Premier League have sought the protection of Congress president Sonia Gandhi from two Union cabinet ministers, who allegedly wanted them out of IPL. At least two of the seven investors of Rendezvous Sports World (RSW), that won the franchise for Kochi, were last week summoned to the Mumbai residence of a Union cabinet minister and told to back off from bidding for Kochi or else. “We have many ways to take care of the likes of you,†the two now-scared investors were told at the end of a conversation with the minister that began at 10 pm and went on till 4 am. They were told to go to Delhi to meet another minister from the same party, who apologised for his colleague’s conduct but repeated: “Get out of IPL. Sell the team.†The two investors are not helpless individuals. One of them runs an industry. Another owns a broking firm and deals in precious gems. They are millionaires. But, they say, when they decided to invest in cricket, they did not think they were putting their lives in their hands. The story begins a year ago, when a group of seven high net worth individuals decided that in the next one year, IPL would be ready to launch two new teams and this could be a good investment opportunity. The group of seven was led by a banker. As Kochi was one of the venues, the group decided it would be helpful if an elected representative from Kerala were to support the venture. They approached Shashi Tharoor, who recognised the political spin-off and supported the holding of his companion, Sunanda Pushkar. Pushkar has five per cent holding in the team, not 20 per cent as widely reported, a member of the consortium said. RSW was a group of sport lovers which had been doing some charity sports events, but was not well known. The stakes for bidding were high – the company was required to have a net worth of $1 billion (Rs 4,500 crore).The group decided it needed some financial ballast and managed to rope in J P Gaur of the Gaur group. “We thought that if we have to compete with groups like Hero Honda and the Jaypee group, we needed someone with deep pockets and an appetite for risk,†said one of the RSW members. At that point, it was clear that there were at least two other venues for which bidding was on aggressively — Ahmedabad, sought by the Adani group and Pune, sought by Videocon and Sahara. Gaur decided he wanted to compete independently and walked out. The financial ballast was gone. Then, RSW realised they were being edged out of the game. They pulled strings in the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and got the threshold lowered to 10 per cent of the original figure: Rs 46 crore. The first lot of bids was cancelled and rebidding was scheduled in Chennai two weeks later. It was a Sunday morning. A cricket match was on in Chennai. Five companies were in the fray: Adani, Videocon, RSW, Cyrus Poonawalla with builder Ajay Shirke, and the Sahara group. RSW got the first inkling that something was not quite kosher when they got a message that their bid should be below $300 million. They consulted among themselves and kept the bid at $333 million (Rs 1,533 crore). Sahara bid $370 million (Rs 1,702 crore). Videocon’s bid was $320 million, Adani bid $315 million. Theirs was the closest and they got the franchise. The members wanted to pop the cork. Too early, cautioned their leader. Get the letter of franchise first. They met IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi in Delhi. The daughter of one of the ministers was present in the room. This was when suggestions were made that they should take $50 million and walk away. The group was first amused, then flummoxed. “Suppose we walk,†asked one, “who is going to give us $50 million?†An investment banker, was the laconic reply. “Come on,†said the leader. “I am an investment banker. I know no one will pay this order of money.†“A client of an investment banker,†they were told. The group conferred among themselves and said prestige was involved. “We won’t go,†they said. That was not the end. The letter of franchise was delayed on one or other pretext: Contingent liability, declaration of shareholding pattern, finally, a 10 per cent bank guarantee. The message at the end always was: “Why get into this ? Sell the team.†The last straw was the meeting at the minister’s bungalow. The group has finally decided that if political power is what will get them justice, they, too, will knock at the door of politicians. Meanwhile, although the consortium is not breaking up, the strain is telling on it. Shashi Tharoor has confided in friends that he may have to put off wedding plans. Sunanda Pushkar is close to a breakdown. The two Gujarati investors have hired additional personal protection for themselves and their families. “The game was to get us out and give the franchise to the next bidder,†said a member of the consortium. This is when a franchisee has to look at 40 to 50 per cent losses in the first two years. “We are looking at a net loss of Rs 100 crore at least, for the first two years,†one of them said. Neutral observers say the episode is a clash between two groups of “very clever peopleâ€. “The conflict of interest in Lalit Modi’s case is clear: His son-in-law has been given web advertising rights and his brother-in-law has a team. And, in Shashi Tharoor’s case, the woman whom he is going to marry has been given free equity worth Rs 75 crore today but it could be worth Rs 500 crore a few years from now. And, when you look at it, the minister of state in charge of the Middle East also has 100 per cent of his business in the Middle East: does that sound like propriety?†asked a member of the BCCI governing council.
http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/of-intriguearm-twisting-in-high-places/391883/

Sunanda speaks... I am not a proxy for Tharoor: Sunanda Pushkar IANS, Apr 14, 2010, 01.52pm IST Article Comments (66) Tags: Shashi Tharoor|IPL controversy|Sunanda Pushkar|Kochi team controversy Sunanda breaks silence on IPL row NEW DELHI: Sunanda Pushkar, who has been linked to the Indian Premier League (IPL) Kochi team controversy, on Wednesday blasted her critics and denied acting as a proxy for her friend and minister of state for external affairs Shashi Tharoor. In a hard-hitting statement, Pushkar accused the media of ignoring her professional background and international business experience and focussing "obsessively on my personal life as if a woman cannot be capable of professional or financial success. "My own business interests and assets are substantial, and efforts to besmirch Tharoor by presenting me as a proxy for him are personally insulting for me as a woman and as a friend.” "I have built up a respectable and successful career while coping with widowhood and raising a child as a single mother. Yet I have been reduced to a caricature in the media, portrayed with inaccuracies and falsehoods," she said. Pushkar said she was issuing the statement "to set the record straight about my role in the public controversy surrounding the Kerala IPL Team franchise". The controversy erupted after Indian Premier League (IPL) Commissioner Lalit Modi revealed the ownership pattern of Kochi IPL, stating that Pushkar, a friend of Tharoor, owned free equity in Rendezvous Sports, which is a part owner of IPL Kochi team. Modi also accused Tharoor of asking him not to reveal the ownership details -- a charge denied by the minister. Pushkar said she was approached last year by Rendezvous "inviting me to associate myself with them as a consultant in their various sporting activities and particularly in their potential bid to acquire the franchise of an IPL team. "I had previously been approached by Karim Morani of Kolkata Knight Riders to join them in a similar capacity and had regretted that the timing was not convenient for me. "In view of my extensive international experience as a business executive, marketing manager and entrepreneur, I was invited to assist Rendezvous particularly in the areas of fund-raising, networking, elsewhere; event management; and brand building. "Because this is a start-up effort, I was told that in lieu of a salary they would grant me minor equity in Rendezvous in return for my efforts - which is a common practice across the world for start-ups and projects of this nature. "I should stress that I have accepted no salary or expenses and am conscious that the equity remains only on paper for the foreseeable future. "However, with the equity comes an opportunity to participate in the management and promotion of Rendezvous and in particular of its IPL team, a challenge I welcome." She said she had "lived a life of integrity and committed no crime, yet I am treated in a humiliating manner. My parents, friends and family members have been hounded by intrusive journalists. "My personal life is nobody else's business and if I have a marriage to announce, I will do it myself, rather than leave it to strangers. I would request the media to respect my privacy." ------ wow RESPECT... straight talk... nailed it.. :hatsoff: