Sign in to follow this  
Mamu

( DLF )Modi -- Tharoor Showdown!!

( DLF )Modi -- Tharoor Showdown!!  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

CNN-IBN has learnt from Finance ministry sources that all the IPL teams will be coming under the IT department's scanner now. The department prepares to probe into tax returns of all franchisees. Of course, it started with the probe of funding of the IPL Kochi franchise.
Very nice of IT department to announce it through CNN-IBN

No' date=' I am not saying that. I wouldn't even consider saying that after seeing the defense mechanism any criticism of IPL triggers amongst it's followers. :fear:[/quote'] Yep! This part is true. There is an unreal level of association of the word IPL with ideas of patriotism and India Shining! No connection there, folks! Absolutely none.

So whats the latest in this saga? i heard the income tax office raided IPL office. did they find anything? or was it just a tamasha?
Indian media making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just an enquiry nothing else!

hmmmm, but the real mountain may be unearthed pretty soon, the other IPL franchises wud have to disclose their owners soon, this could un-earth some coffins if u know what i mean, i am sure Modi will do all that he can to keep his coffins buried

Father worked in IT before he started his own practice, he was telling me how the whole procedure works out. It will be intereting to see the thing will be "patooed" in the end

Father worked in IT before he started his own practice' date=' he was telling me how the whole procedure works out. It will be intereting to see the thing will be "patooed" in the end[/quote'] pa ji , details please !

Modi is an autocrat in cricket: RCA official Rajasthan Cricket Academy (RCA) secretary Sanjay Dikshit has taken Indian Premier League Commissioner Lalit Modi to task over the Kochi bidding controversy and accused him of separating the IPL from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). More...

Sunanda Pushkar hires lawyer in Dubai, may file damages Sunanda Pushkar, the woman at the centre of a ownership controversy surrounding the Kochi IPL franchise, is considering filing for damages and has hired a Dubai-based lawyer for the purpose. More... Sunanda Pushkar hires lawyer in Dubai, may file damages Press Trust Of India Dubai, April 16, 2010 Sunanda Pushkar, the woman at the centre of a ownership controversy surrounding the Kochi IPL franchise, is considering filing for damages and has hired a Dubai-based lawyer for the purpose. It has been alleged that Pushkar got free equity worth 70 crore rupees in the the Kochi franchise with the help of close friend Shashi Tharoor, who is Minister of State for External Affairs. Ashish Mehta, the lawyer, said Pushkar has asked for his legal assistance. "I write to confirm that Ms Sunanda Pushkar has engaged my professional services," Mehta said in a written statement last night. He said his client's image had been tarnished, and they would "seriously consider filing for damages". Mehta insisted media has misrepresented her client and that facts needed to be put straight. According to him the reports that Pushkar was a beautician, spa owner or a socialite are untrue. "Ms Pushkar has 20 years of hard core work experience." Sources say Pushkar made her fortune as an executive of a state-owned company in Dubai and has never been in the spa business. "All this spa business is untrue. She has been an entrepreneur and businesswomen for long and that has brought her wealth," an ex-colleague of her's told PTI on the condition of anonymity.

"IT officials satisfied after inquiry" Offering IPL to any scrutiny by any agency, its commissioner Lalit Modi today said that the income tax authorities had sought details relating to two new franchises Kochi and Pune and have gone "satisfied". More...

IPL governing council to meet 'informally' With the furore over Kochi franchise's ownership showing no signs of settling down, the IPL's Governing Council members meet here "informally" for the first time after the event's Commissioner Lalit Modi sparked the row on Twitter. More...

Ok the issue is getting murkier now it seems .. I just switched to news channels and all of them are covering full time this issue only it seems .. Zee News especially is having a field day

Their is an IPL governing body meeting happening today in Dharamsala today before the game. The buzz is that Manohar might be named as the co-chairman of the IPL. though it has been denied by Rajeev Shukla who said that Manohar is the President of BCCI under which comes the IPL so he wont be the co-chairman.

Their is an IPL governing body meeting happening today in Dharamsala today before the game. The buzz is that Manohar might be named as the co-chairman of the IPL. though it has been denied by Rajeev Shukla who said that Manohar is the President of BCCI under which comes the IPL so he wont be the co-chairman.
I also heard that .. and as per reports, Rajeev Shukla of the Congress and Arun Jaitley of the BJP will also be there perhaps as they will go for the Dharamsala stadium inauguration .. I am not sure if everything will be discussed properly because although all are BCCI senior officials but the three main groups in this controversy is L Modi (BCCI), Tharoor (Congress) and N Modi (BJP) .. so representatives of all three of hem would indirectly be present and so I dont think everything will be discussed properly in the open :giggle: .. though all of them are part of the BCCI but there is also a tussle going on and I dont think they would say openly about the whole issue in the meeting

The bottom line is that as per the IPL constitution Modi can not be removed from his post till 2012 and two years is a fairly long time in Indian cricket for the loyalties to change and for new equations to be formed. However, one thing is certain, the Kochi franchise cant function properly for the next 2 years if Modi remains at the helm.

Mr.MP thinks we are idiots and can't see his obvious links to the Kochi team. Also-

Sure. Put a man, who India was sucking upto until Wednesday for creating the greatest cricket league in the History of Mankind, behind bars for having the audacity to ask a Congress MP to come clean. :cheer: And then also get ready to see the IPL dead, BCCI sold off to another board like SL is sold off to us and we'd have endless discussions by the same bashers about - "What went wrong?" :hmmm: We should try not be thankless fecks. We are where we are today financially thanks to this shrewd businessman. Modi-bashing is pretty much a daily thing in the world. Its almost as regular as taking a piss after wakig up. So I'm not surprised. I might not be as big a fan of Lalit Modi as Il Principico or whatever his name is. But I can call a spade a spade.

I dont like Modi either' date=' who does, but Tharoor's girlfriend got 18 million $ in shares for free and he wants everyone to believe that he has no financial gain in it? I'll take Modi anytime over corrupt politicians.[/quote'] We don't even know how much of all this money is going into Modi's pockets. Also, he tried to bribe them with $50m to leave the Kochi deal and let someone else get the team into Ahmedabad. If that is to be believed, then Modi is no better.

^ Atleast he doesn't mask his intentions under the garb of "benefit of my constituency". And if he actually didn't want them in, he wouldn't have approved the signing or ownership thingy of their franchise, which was also made public by him on twitter last Sunday. Also, I see nothing wrong in him asking who the owners of the Kochi team are. I fail to understand the histronics being indulged in, to a simple question asked. Which proves Modi right! Instead of telling that blah blah hold the stakes, these guys daily take a leak in the media at the cost of people like us believing some bloody accountability to come through from their end.

we dont..both sides are corrupt.It is just a matter of going with the lesser evil.Ofcourse the other point being that Tharoor is an elected govt official who is supposed to serve the country.
Precisely. Lalit Modi doesn't work for the Government of India. This point ends here. So Captain Obvious states Shashi Tharoor is more accountable than Lalit Modi is.

^ Yes. Modi has atleast done something worthwhile in the past 4 years. :isalute:
Even though I HATE Modi (he thinks because he created the IPL he's bigger than the game, slaps his photo and name everywhere and its ridiculous.), that is true. IPL's the hottest thing in cricket and he has done everything to bring the IPL where it is now. But maybe the time has come for him to step down and someone else to step up and manage IPL from the background and let IPL just be IPL and not Lalit Mod's IPL like NFL is NFL and MLB is MLB and not some ugly Chairmans face. I get a feeling he'll end up destroying what he created.

^ Who cares what he does to it later on. He can buy 8 teams and play papaji vs dadiji :hehe: The point I'm making is you CAN'T show the door to a man whose made a million every series for you and created the biggest money churner in the history of the game, just because he asked a Congress MP to come clean. If BCCI does get rid of him, read para 1 here - Link

IPL tax raid: mystery woman removes papers ibnlive.com Posted on Apr 17, 2010 at 09:44 | Updated Apr 17, 2010 at 10:30 New Delhi: In a shocking revelation, income tax sources have told CNN-IBN that CCTV footage has shown a woman taking bid documents from IPL commissioner Lalit Modi's office at the Four Seasons Hotel in Mumbai, just 30 minutes before they carried out searches there on Thursday. According to other media reports, a senior Income Tax (I-T) official, on condition of anonymity, said the woman had already been identified but her name could not be divulged. The official added that the woman was someone who was very closely associated with one of the eight original IPL franchisees. The officials were certain that the papers, documents and electronic data were kept in a room on the 33rd floor, but they found nothing relevant. The I-T sleuths had entered the hotel at 4:30 pm, just half hour after the woman left with a laptop and a bag of files. (Inputs from CNN-IBN) Meanwhile, the IT department is likely to finish its IPL scrutiny on Saturday. Sources have told CNN-IBN that notices are likely to be issues to all IPL franchisees next week. The I-T department had asked for the bid documents from Lalit Modi's office. While Modi had provided them with some, the officials were still waiting for the remaining documents. The I-T department had reportedly surveryed three officcer of the IPL and the commissioner in Mumbai on Thursday. These include the headquarters situated at the Wankhede Stadium, Modi's office at Nirlon House in Worli and the 33rd floor room at the Four Seasons Hotel. In yet another development, the BCCI officials met informally last night at Dharamsala after the Punjab-Deccan game. While BCCI president Shashank Manohar attented the meting, the IPL commissioner was absent from it.
They surely are after LM, two questions however: 1. It's an office after all, people will walk in and out with laptops and papers all the time, whats the big deal about it? 2. If the woman indeed knew about the impending IT survey and removed documents half an hour in advance, then its a leak of information at the IT office. I suggest they should investigate that first!

On Friday, Tharoor sent a 'rude' text message to journalist Karan Thapar after his interview with Farooq Abdullah — another minister in the UPA government — went on air. Apparently not pleased with what Abdullah said in response to Thapar's questions, Tharoor is learnt to have sent an SMS: "I've...seen yr grilling of Farooq, putting words in his mouth & I've just realized what a sh... u (you) r (are). Pls don't call me again." Later, on realizing his 'mistake', Tharoor tried to repair the damage. Apologizing to Thapar, he wrote: "Please disregard my SMS of last night. I was deeply disappointed, exhausted & emotional...I should have chosen my words better and I withdraw the one word that I (am) sure offended you".
The above piece is in the TOI today, Mr. Minister surely seems to have had enough :haha:

Tharoor needs to go.
He will most likely be asked to resign today, Manmohan has a meeting with Sonia today to take a final call. It has obviously become too big an embarrassment for Congress to live with any longer.

Abhinav- Its a shame, what he's turned himself into. From almost being the Secretary General of the United Nations to a man making unnecessary status updates on twitter to buying stake in a team with underhand money and transactions. Sad.

Its almost Sreesantheque in a way for Tharoor. No dearth of ability and potential but really can not control their impulses and constantly end up being on the wrong side of law and public opinion.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.