( DLF )Modi -- Tharoor Showdown!!

Mamu

( DLF )Modi -- Tharoor Showdown!!  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

^ Yes. Modi has atleast done something worthwhile in the past 4 years. :isalute:
Even though I HATE Modi (he thinks because he created the IPL he's bigger than the game, slaps his photo and name everywhere and its ridiculous.), that is true. IPL's the hottest thing in cricket and he has done everything to bring the IPL where it is now. But maybe the time has come for him to step down and someone else to step up and manage IPL from the background and let IPL just be IPL and not Lalit Mod's IPL like NFL is NFL and MLB is MLB and not some ugly Chairmans face. I get a feeling he'll end up destroying what he created.

^ Who cares what he does to it later on. He can buy 8 teams and play papaji vs dadiji :hehe: The point I'm making is you CAN'T show the door to a man whose made a million every series for you and created the biggest money churner in the history of the game, just because he asked a Congress MP to come clean. If BCCI does get rid of him, read para 1 here - Link

IPL tax raid: mystery woman removes papers ibnlive.com Posted on Apr 17, 2010 at 09:44 | Updated Apr 17, 2010 at 10:30 New Delhi: In a shocking revelation, income tax sources have told CNN-IBN that CCTV footage has shown a woman taking bid documents from IPL commissioner Lalit Modi's office at the Four Seasons Hotel in Mumbai, just 30 minutes before they carried out searches there on Thursday. According to other media reports, a senior Income Tax (I-T) official, on condition of anonymity, said the woman had already been identified but her name could not be divulged. The official added that the woman was someone who was very closely associated with one of the eight original IPL franchisees. The officials were certain that the papers, documents and electronic data were kept in a room on the 33rd floor, but they found nothing relevant. The I-T sleuths had entered the hotel at 4:30 pm, just half hour after the woman left with a laptop and a bag of files. (Inputs from CNN-IBN) Meanwhile, the IT department is likely to finish its IPL scrutiny on Saturday. Sources have told CNN-IBN that notices are likely to be issues to all IPL franchisees next week. The I-T department had asked for the bid documents from Lalit Modi's office. While Modi had provided them with some, the officials were still waiting for the remaining documents. The I-T department had reportedly surveryed three officcer of the IPL and the commissioner in Mumbai on Thursday. These include the headquarters situated at the Wankhede Stadium, Modi's office at Nirlon House in Worli and the 33rd floor room at the Four Seasons Hotel. In yet another development, the BCCI officials met informally last night at Dharamsala after the Punjab-Deccan game. While BCCI president Shashank Manohar attented the meting, the IPL commissioner was absent from it.
They surely are after LM, two questions however: 1. It's an office after all, people will walk in and out with laptops and papers all the time, whats the big deal about it? 2. If the woman indeed knew about the impending IT survey and removed documents half an hour in advance, then its a leak of information at the IT office. I suggest they should investigate that first!

On Friday, Tharoor sent a 'rude' text message to journalist Karan Thapar after his interview with Farooq Abdullah — another minister in the UPA government — went on air. Apparently not pleased with what Abdullah said in response to Thapar's questions, Tharoor is learnt to have sent an SMS: "I've...seen yr grilling of Farooq, putting words in his mouth & I've just realized what a sh... u (you) r (are). Pls don't call me again." Later, on realizing his 'mistake', Tharoor tried to repair the damage. Apologizing to Thapar, he wrote: "Please disregard my SMS of last night. I was deeply disappointed, exhausted & emotional...I should have chosen my words better and I withdraw the one word that I (am) sure offended you".
The above piece is in the TOI today, Mr. Minister surely seems to have had enough :haha:

It seems the Kochi Consortium broke couple of Indian Company Laws. The Indian Company registration law cleary states that no company should give Free equity (share) to anybody withing 1 year of the registration of the company. This company was registered on March 10th, 2010. So by giving Free Equity of 19% to Tharoor's friend (Sunanda Pushkar), the Consortium broke one of the Indian Company registration law. Indian Company law also states that The Free equity given should'nt be more that Rs. 5 Crores or 15% of the total investment. That too has to be decided when the company accounts had to be submitted for Yearly Tax assessment and then Free equity shares can be allotted. Not only that, various Govt. departments had to be notified and taken permission before allotting Free (Sweat) equity/share. It also emerges (from the content of SMS messages shared by Modi with IT officials) that Tharoor insisted to Modi that his Officer On Special Duty (OSD), Jacob Joseph should be present in the negotiations fo the Bid deals between the Kochi Consortium and IPL officials. It seem Jacob Joseph was present in these meetings and might have played a role in negotiating a 'better' Free equity deal for Tharoor's friend, Sunanda Pushkar. That dent's minister Throor's claims in the Parliament that he has in no way infulenced the Bidding process and has no interest in the Consorium, in any way, and has only acted as a 'Mentor'. Fresh details of Ms. Sunanda Pushkar is coming out and it seems she was just working as a Marketing/Sales manager in a Dubai based Property holding company and in all her job assignments till now, can safely be termed as a Middle level official. She has no qualification what soever to claim that she has huge experience in marketing/sales/event management. Her earlier claim that she was approached by KKR management last year has been denied by KKR management. KKR says that nobody has approached to any lady named Sunanda Pushkar with any offer till now. So from being a middle level office worker in Dubai and having some popularity in Dubai's page 3 cirlcles, Ms. Sunanda Pushkar is now owner of 19% stake in a $330 million investment, thanks to Union minister Mr. Shashi Tharoor. Just for having materialistic pleasure, Tharoor misused his position to influence an company to give Free Equity to his Keep. Modi was right to question this secret arrangement. He is no saint. But I think he has done the right thing to expose Tharoor and the Kochi consortium. There couldn't have been any other way. By tweeting he caught the media attention. otherwise Tharoor was keeping it under wraps. He might have broken some confidentialty laws but I say kudos to him in exposing this affair. When the Kochi team won the bid and meat IPL officials, Modi asked the consortium about the share holders of the company in details. They were unable to give details about 4 share holders! They Satyajit Gaekwad (the congressi spokesperson, who is also share holder and present in the meeting) called somebody to get the details of 4 Free equity share holders. Within minutes Tharoor called Modi and asked, why he is going into the details of other Share holders. Tharoor insisted that Modi shouldn't worry about the Free equity share holders. That's where Modi and Tharoor fell apart.

Sources have told NDTV that Sunanda Pushkar has decided to voluntarily give up stake in Kochi IPL team. Sunanda took the decision to end embarrassment to Tharoor. This may give reprieve to Tharoor. The formal announcement by Sunanda Pushkar giving up stake in Kochi IPL team is likely to made soon. India's Minister of State for External Affairs today met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh with regard to the recent controversy involving him in the Kochi IPL bid. The Congress core group meets this evening at 6.30 at the prime minister's residence to discuss Tharoor, who is Minister of State for External Affairs, and his Indian Premier League (IPL) controversy. The core group consists of the Prime Minister, Congress President Sonia Gandhi, Pranab Mukherjee, P Chidambaram, AK Antony and Ahmed Patel. The Congress is determined to avoid Tharoor's scandal from tainting the PM and the government. The Opposition has demanded that the prime minister address Parliament on Tharoor. (Read: Prime Minister returns, Tharoor tops to-do list) Party sources have told NDTV that the Congress is not convinced by the explanation given to it by Tharoor about his link to the Kochi IPL team, sold last month for 1530 crores to a group led by Rendezvous Sports Consortium. As part of the deal, Tharoor's close friend, Sunanda Pushkar, was gifted equity worth 70 crores. She did not invest a rupee in the franchise; yet, her stake is "undilutable in perpetuity" meaning that even as more investors join and are granted equity, her share will not reduce. Tharoor has said he served as mentor and advisor for the team and did not financially benefit from it. But the party is considering reports that suggest Tharoor lobbied for Pushkar to get an even bigger share. (Read: Sunanda Pushkar's deal: What exactly is it?) A compromise formula is also being considered in which Sunanda Prakash could give up stake in Kochi team to get Tharoor reprieve. (Read: Tharoor under pressure to quit unless Sunanda surrenders stake) The Opposition has demanded that Tharoor be sacked for misusing his public office. On Friday, Tharoor tried to defend himself in parliament but was drowned out by the Opposition so he tabled his statement and then later read it out to reporters outside. (Read: IPL tangle: Tharoor's statement in Parliament) In a sign of how keen the party is to keep its distance from Tharoor, he issued his statement as an individual and MP, and not as a minister. This was ensured so that if it is later revealed that any part of his defense was not correct, the government cannot be held liable for it. The Congress is worried about critical legislation that the government has to push through in parliament, including the finance bill or Budget presented earlier this year, and the nuclear liability bill. It does not want the Tharoor issue to paralyze the government in Parliament.

Just searched Tharoor and Colbert and this is the first link I found http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/156264/march-03-2008/shashi-tharoor Is that the Colbert show :hmmm:
It seems he started thinking about his retirement long back :cheer:
Offering IPL to any scrutiny by any agency, its commissioner Lalit Modi today said that the income tax authorities had sought details relating to two new franchises Kochi and Pune and have gone "satisfied". More...
Thats sums this up :two_thumbs_up:

Kangress is taking time to sort this mess out but finally it seems Mr. Tharoor is on hos way out. The mere thought of facing a united oppostion tomorrow did the trick, it appears.. The options for Kagress now is to ask Tharoor to hand over resignation (till an investigation is conducted and Tharoor is "exonerated" and recalled back in the ministry). Once Mr. Tharoor goes, the Kangress can target BCCI/IPL/Modi etc. with full vengence (for creating so much trouble for the Kangressis). It can consitute a "Regulatory Board" on BCCI/IPL functioning and make Kalmadi or MS Gill as the Chairman. Hopefully by doing this Kangress can get back on the opposition (which is BJP only, as per them). It will not matter Cricket goes the same way as other Govt. controlled Sports have gone in the country. Kalmadi will prevail..

Okay. As per the breaking news in TOI, Tharoor has handed over the resignation to the PM. I hope IPL governing body looks in the Kochi franchise's gross voilation of Indian Company Laws/Regulations and cancels it's contract and calls for fresh bids.

Okay. As per the breaking news in TOI, Tharoor has handed over the resignation to the PM. I hope IPL governing body looks in the Kochi franchise's gross voilation of Indian Company Laws/Regulations and cancels it's contract and calls for fresh bids.
how can they call for fresh bids, if there is no violation of the bid requirements? The violation of Company Laws / regulation may be something for company registrars or some such body which has nothing to with the IPL to look at. As has has been widely reported, if Sunanda Pushkar returns her 25% back tot he consortium, what then. I dream somebody would actually do a massive clean up job and get some transparency into the running of the IPL.

how can they call for fresh bids, if there is no violation of the bid requirements? The violation of Company Laws / regulation may be something for company registrars or some such body which has nothing to with the IPL to look at. As has has been widely reported, if Sunanda Pushkar returns her 25% back tot he consortium, what then. I dream somebody would actually do a massive clean up job and get some transparency into the running of the IPL.
Shares are not some sort of 'gift items' which you can get and then 'return it' back. These shares has to 'bought' in open market under Sebi guidlines. IPL bidding process involves bidders to not voilate any company laws in their making any consortium and also to disclose the name of the equity holders. That's where the issue created. The Kochi consortium were not forthcoming in revealing their equitly holders and now there isa mess whether one equity holder can just 'return' the equity just like that.. This is serious business going on and not some sort of kinder garten play..

how can they call for fresh bids' date=' if there is no violation of the bid requirements? The violation of Company Laws / regulation may be something for company registrars or some such body which has nothing to with the IPL to look at. As has has been widely reported, [b']if Sunanda Pushkar returns her 25% back tot he consortium, what then. I dream somebody would actually do a massive clean up job and get some transparency into the running of the IPL.
She has already returned her 4% Sweat Equity back. Thats the end of Tharoor and His Girl Friend. Now they can spend the rest of their lives on a Boat House on Dal Lake or even in a Boat House in the Back Waters of Kerela!