let's burn the burqa : tasleema nasreen

Guest dada_rocks

Re: let's burn the burqa : tasleema nasreen

Yoda Quote - That's why people of one religion should stay away from other religions other than to learn and possibly debate in a civilized manner as opposed to ridiculing one just to show that your own is superior or more "modern". End Quote Pray , Tell me who abolished Sati ? Also, I am not against burqa necessarily. I am against clean shaven husbands wearing pant and half shirt forcing their significant others to wear head to toe burqa in hot hyderabad summer.
How is that your problem I fail to understand.

Guest dada_rocks

BTW the Bible says anyone who doesn't follow Christ is under the influence of the Satan. And Pat Robertson believes that totally. So, are you going to abandon your religion cause he thinks it is satanic? And I am sure he truly believes that non-christians are under the influence of the Satan much like you believe the Burqa is bad for the Muslim women.
He can believe in whatever he want but rest assured unlike islamic states the country from where he pontificates no moral police will knock on your door in order to force anytyign to you.. You can go in public spread exactly opposite crap no fatwa will be issued on your lilfe, again same can;t be said about the islamic hell-holes around the world.
That's why people of one religion should stay away from other religions other than to learn and possibly debate in a civilized manner as opposed to ridiculing one just to show that your own is superior or more "modern".
I am all for it as long as these guuys don't insist on spreading their crap everywhere. I say to them confine yourselves in arabaian sand or pakistani hell-hole noone will bother you. You mobilize troops on basis of religion against some country and you expect your socalled religion be left alone, sounds like Russian govt asking for their communism philpshpy to be left alone and not be disparaged during cold war.
Like I said, let Muslim women decide what they want. In those countries where Muslim women have no voice, let them get a voice. They will when they are ready for it.
That's what's the point muslim males have failed muslim women they will never let this happend and these poor folks need outside help.
Like Gandhi told the British when they raised the problems India will face with Hindu-Muslim issues: "They will be OUR problems and not YOURS".
Again comparaing apples and oranages: India is confined in indian bouondary otoh islam's tentacles are not confined in any boundary they are there in the west too and whence it becomes their problem too

Yoda Quote - That's why people of one religion should stay away from other religions other than to learn and possibly debate in a civilized manner as opposed to ridiculing one just to show that your own is superior or more "modern". End Quote Pray , Tell me who abolished Sati ? Also, I am not against burqa necessarily. I am against clean shaven husbands wearing pant and half shirt forcing their significant others to wear head to toe burqa in hot hyderabad summer.
Women being discriminated is my problem. I don't approve of it. And if christian William Bentick had not abolished Sati , this barbaric practise would have continued for longer time. Don't tell that's not your problem.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: let's burn the burqa : tasleema nasreen For yoda: Tasleema Nasreen last time i checked was a muslim and hence eligible in your twisted world for being a critic.. :wtg:

Re: let's burn the burqa : tasleema nasreen Once again Yoda, you're presuming that a free thinking muslim can criticize his/her religion to get it modernized. Get real. If you wanna know what happens if anyone does that Tasleema Nasreen is a good case study.

Guest dada_rocks

Once again Yoda' date=' you're presuming that a free thinking muslim can criticize his/her religion to get it modernized. Get real. If you wanna know what happens if anyone does that Tasleema Nasreen is a good case study.[/quote'] already Mili Gazzette has published huge article making the case for driving Tasleema out of India over this.. Outlokk has relagated this article from front page within coule of daya usually they keep articles for at least couple of weeks somehere on front page :wtg: :wtg: :wtg:

Women being discriminated is my problem. I don't approve of it. And if christian William Bentick had not abolished Sati , this barbaric practise would have continued for longer time. Don't tell that's not your problem.
Sati I can understand cause someone is dying. How one's dressing is a big deal is what I can't understand. Each culture/religion has it's own dress code. If a Muslim woman complains about it, I can understand. I frankly see no difference between a Burqa and a Saree. Both cover women almost from head to toe, especially if a Saree is worn traditionally as it still is in some parts of India. Wonder what you would have said if the same Lord Bentink forced all Indian women to switch to gowns and skirts cause he thought that the Saree was not fit for the Indian weather. :chin: Covering the face in public places where face identification is necessary is the only legitimate issue regarding a Burqa. Rest are all bogus at best.

Re: let's burn the burqa : tasleema nasreen Thinking that non-muslims are the best people to reform Islam is like the US thinking it can force Democracy on the middle east. Change has to come from within at their own pace. As long as a practice of a religion doesn't hurt others and is not "illegal", people should be left alone to practice it as best as they see fit.

Guest dada_rocks

Sati I can understand cause someone is dying. How one's dressing is a big deal is what I can't understand. Each culture/religion has it's own dress code. If a Muslim woman complains about it, I can understand. I frankly see no difference between a Burqa and a Saree. Both cover women almost from head to toe, especially if a Saree is worn traditionally as it still is in some parts of India.
can you point me out some group with acid bottles looking for women not in saree and disfiguring their face. And what will constitute complaint on part of muslim woman they are rsiking being acid thrown on their face aren't they. Moreover the writer of this piece is muslim woman..
Wonder what you would have said if the same Lord Bentink forced all Indian women to switch to gowns and skirts cause he thought that the Saree was not fit for the Indian weather.
It's not weather based it's security threat based it's male's abuse of females based. Again hardly makes any sense. C
overing the face in public places where face identification is necessary is the only legitimate issue regarding a Burqa. Rest are all bogus at best.
Nope rampant practice of forced burqua is a problme too can;t say same about saree or any other dress code. Only muslims kill people for not dressing in certain way that too their own ilk. It's red flag for anyone who cares..

Thinking that non-muslims are the best people to reform Islam is like the US thinking it can force Democracy on the middle east. Change has to come from within at their own pace. As long as a practice of a religion doesn't hurt others and is not "illegal"' date= people should be left alone to practice it as best as they see fit.
Indeed. And thats why writers like Tasleema Nasreen should be supported/debated/criticized by Muslim woman. There is no point in non-Muslims talking about it. Quite frankly the more non-Muslims talk about it the more Muslims would be pushed into a corner to "save" their traditions. If at the end of the day a Muslim girl is happy to have her boyfriend/husband ogle at girls of different religion who are often dressed in nothing but underwears but choses to wrap herself in burqa, I say she deserves to be "caged" in the first place. I have personal experience of Muslim girls who loved the way they looked in skirt, but didnt wear it for "obvious" reasons. Well its their loss, not mine so why should I worry about it? If Muslim woman want to live in stone-age, let them be. Only time I would be worried if that clashes with National interest - security for example. xxxx

Thinking that non-muslims are the best people to reform Islam is like the US thinking it can force Democracy on the middle east. Change has to come from within at their own pace. As long as a practice of a religion doesn't hurt others and is not "illegal"' date=' people should be left alone to practice it as best as they see fit.[/quote'] Nobody is saying that non-muslims are the best people to reform Islam. I don't think you get it. The change has not come from within. That is the reason , why we need to voice our opinion against any discriminatory acts committed towards women in the name of religion. Culture, tradition , rules etc were made by "men only" and who gives them the right to decide what a women should wear. If Indian hindu women do not want to wear Saree or Salwar kameez, I am ok with it. Also, you made a statement that people of one religion should stay away from other religions and I proved it to you that this statement is not necessarily true vis a vis Sati practise which was abolished by a person of another religion. Their is a difference between burqa and Saree. In fact lot of women love to wear Saree. Don't tell me that muslim women love to wear black colored burqa from head to toe on their own free will in the hot sun. And if you kindly read my posts , I am not averse to Muslims criticising neanderthal practises even in my religion like Sati or caste system.

Re: let's burn the burqa : tasleema nasreen All religions suck in my opinion. There are good and bad in all religions. Some religions have more bad than good unfortunately. I'm not a fan of any religion and detest those religions that say how to eat, sleep, dress, walk et al. What's the point in being a human being and not able to figure out what's the best for you??? The religious leaders from all religions take undue advantage of susceptible humans. As I said all religions have holes and quicker the people realize that better off they are. I'm sure the peaceful are the ones that aren't fanatic about their religion. In short "All religions suck, there is no second thought about it". Stupidity and religion are great contributors of malice around the world today. The ones that justify it in the name of religion (religious leaders) are the biggest contributors to this malice.

All religions suck in my opinion. There are good and bad in all religions. Some religions have more bad than good unfortunately. I'm not a fan of any religion and detest those religions that say how to eat, sleep, dress, walk et al. What's the point in being a human being and not able to figure out what's the best for you??? The religious leaders from all religions take undue advantage of susceptible humans. As I said all religions have holes and quicker the people realize that better off they are. I'm sure the peaceful are the ones that aren't fanatic about their religion. In short "All religions suck, there is no second thought about it". Stupidity and religion are great contributors of malice around the world today. The ones that justify it in the name of religion (religious leaders) are the biggest contributors to this malice.
Good post Sir. I completely agree with you here. Also, keep in mind that these religious leaders are mostly men and why should they get to decide what a should women wear ??

All religions suck in my opinion. There are good and bad in all religions. Some religions have more bad than good unfortunately. I'm not a fan of any religion and detest those religions that say how to eat, sleep, dress, walk et al. What's the point in being a human being and not able to figure out what's the best for you??? The religious leaders from all religions take undue advantage of susceptible humans. As I said all religions have holes and quicker the people realize that better off they are. I'm sure the peaceful are the ones that aren't fanatic about their religion. In short "All religions suck, there is no second thought about it". Stupidity and religion are great contributors of malice around the world today. The ones that justify it in the name of religion (religious leaders) are the biggest contributors to this malice.
Good post Sir. I completely agree with you here. Also, keep in mind that these religious leaders are mostly men and why should they get to decide what a should women wear ??
Yup agree with that whole heartedly, why a man?s opinion of how a lady should dress should be taken for granted. I would like to keep things pretty simple, aren?t the ladies smart enough to know what dress is appropriate for what occasion and weather conditions?

Re: let's burn the burqa : tasleema nasreen KR, you know it's not just the muslims that practice that kind of dress code right? Look at the following images : The following are the Christian nuns : Nuns.jpg The following are the jains : jain.jpg The following are the hindus : Hindu_Women.jpg Sikh women : slide02.jpg

I'm sure all these dress codes for women were put in by men :lol:
That's the point I have been trying to drive. It's funny how people clinging to tradition , religion etc don't realize that these rules are laid down by "Men Only " Club . If tomorrow, women decide that men should wear black shirt and black trousers all the time , would men comply ?? I doubt it. Also, if you notice , Indian women wear colorful sarees and they love wearing it. Can the same be said about these nuns or burqa clad women ? Also, I would think , it is difficult to breathe through that cloth barrier. BTW , women become nuns by choice and hence the dress code is not necessarily forced upon them . Also, how many hindu women in the city wear sarees in the traditional way . Hardly any , I would think !

Re: let's burn the burqa : tasleema nasreen @Yoda, I don't intend to change Islam, mainly because most muslims are brainwashed beyond any hope, but I am concerned about it and everyone who follows world news should be. And I do support people like Tasleema Nasreen. On the other hand don't like the "higher ground" of thinking let them take care of it, when you know fully well that the few muslim free thinkers have no voice and will be executed if it's possible any way, and being satisfied that I'm "secular".