Marrying cousin even among hindus:-(

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks

I have this new colleague from Andhra was talking with him and came to know about this startling fact. In andhra apparently hindus can and do marry their mama's or bua's daughter/son. How prevalent is this practice. Given guys from south can't be accused of being mentally retarded on the contarary they come of as smarter than northies in general (whatever be the reason) so was wondering how prevalent is this marrying in the family practice. Moreover he was saying they are particular about MAMA/BUA thing meaning can't marry cousin from father's brother or mother's sister. So is there any logic behind this selective in-breeding being somehow free from potential gentic defects.

Re: Marrying cousin even among hindus:-( A lot of people marry their first-second cousins ( Muslims, christians,jews etc) i've come across and i am not opposed to it (hey-whatever works for those people) but i've always thought it to be a bit weird. My cousin sisters are like sisters to me and it'd feel very weird to think about them sexually (maybe bec. two of my cousin sisters are 7+ years older than me and the third one is 9 years younger?).

Re: Marrying cousin even among hindus:-(

A lot of people marry their first-second cousins ( Muslims, christians,jews etc) i've come across and i am not opposed to it (hey-whatever works for those people) but i've always thought it to be a bit weird. My cousin sisters are like sisters to me and it'd feel very weird to think about them sexually (maybe bec. two of my cousin sisters are 7+ years older than me and the third one is 9 years younger?).
i agree with you totally CC... i would definitely be freaked out if my dad told me that i would have to marry my cousin... also those elder are girls and the guys are way younger... also my dad feels it tht if there are to be in family marriages, then its best to be a bit distant... thankfully... but i think if these in-family marriages happen, they tell the couple when they are kids itself.... right?

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Marrying cousin even among hindus:-( Among muslims it's common practice I was surprised to find out this still being practiced among hindus. BTW the guy I mentioned in OP did accept it was wrong and slowly this is kind of disappearing. it hardly happens these days but is allowed. I guess Laxman the cricketer married his bua's daughter or sthg.. In north particularly in bihar where I come from, you can't marry even among same gotra You can't marry distant cousins where u have no connection, for instance ( My chachi's brother's daughter now what connection i have with such cousins virtually nothing, but even this one is barred).

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Marrying cousin even among hindus:-(

I know its common amongst muslims, its sick. A pakistani i play cricket with married his cousin from pak land :eek: It leads to health problems and mental problems. Inbreeding is disgusting and dangerous
i know ..rukhsana aunty fom pakistan not mine my wife's, did it with her sister's son and the kid thus born had major problem with serpent like skin.....I keep making fun of her on this issue saying what kind of locality u used to live in.... Rukhsana aunty's aunta was doctor so not bad locality that must have been after all.. All these stories from pakistan I get to here from her. Her other friend these days is CAIR spokesperson. :wtg: