Self Motivation Skills

head coach

Well this is a rather strange topic to discuss in a sports related website but when you think about it, we realize that it does matter whether it be sports or any other kind of work you do. You have to be self motivated to achieve the results you desire and ofcourse you have to work hard until you get it. But isnt there moments in life when we think "I'm bored." or "I can't stay focused." There has to be a way of self motivating us to get away from this feeling. Here are few:

• Be Grateful - There is so much to be grateful for. Take some time each day to think about the things that are good in your life. Laugh As Much As You Can - Laughter is the best medicine. So, if you know a good joke, tell it to your friends and family. Exercise - By doing regular exercise you change your physiology, you change your body chemicals, which will make you feel different, so you start focusing on different things. Leave The News For What It Is - Let go of that urge. News is stressful. Over 99% of it is bad news. Practice Time Management - Time management is basically a list of rules. And the rules of it can help us to waste less time. Work Hard - Working hard creates enormous personal satisfaction. When you have finished certain tasks you will feel that you are capable to accomplish things. Learn New Things - Try to learn something new each day. Express Your Feelings - Learn to show affection and warmth to the people around you and in that let go of your fears. Remember that fear is our worst advisor and it?s bad for our health. Find Spiritual Connections - By being in touch with spirituality on a regular basis you would foster deep inner peace. Help Other People - Each individual feels energized, good and warm about himself after helping another person. The more positive energy you put out into the world, the more you will receive in return. [/list:02ffd716c4] Please add or modify or discuss more on this....Maybe adding your comments or thoughts on this website is one way of self motivating too :chin:

Re: Self Motication Skills

Exercise - By doing regular exercise you change your physiology, you change your body chemicals, which will make you feel different, so you start focusing on different things.
Actually this is perfect. We should have more threads like this HC. Of the points you mentioned I liked Exercise the best. It is a great motivating force for me because nothing can ever come close to the feeling of beating your own self. Say you jog everyday and try to run a mile or so. Then one day you jog a mile and a half. It is only an extra half mile but nothing beats the feeling when you kicked your own arse and lifted up the barometer. Few other motivators: Read, read and read : Cant emphasis this enough. A book can truly be a man's best friend. The more you read the less you feel you know and you keep doing it again and again. Even if you pick a few good points from a book and say read 3-4 books a year you would be much better person. More knowledgable too. Self-discipline: Some people get up at 5 am to pray. I get up at 5 to exercise. Not trying to put myself into pedestal here or anything but that simple act in turn means I hit the bed early(say 9-10 pm) so I get some quality sleep, which in turn means I eat at 7:30 - 8 pm and so on. And of course if one wants to get most out of exercise he has to eat right as well. Its all a circle really eat well - workout - rest...and all the three helps you in the end. xxx

Re: Self Motivation Skills Thanks Lurker for that. i totally agree and both are vital to our daily existence. Here is another piece for all the posters in this forum Emotional Intelligence. What is it? Emotional Intelligence doesn't mean being soft ? it means being intelligent about emotions ? a different way of being smart. Emotional intelligence is your ability to acquire and apply knowledge from your emotions and the emotions of others in order to be more successful and lead a more fulfilling life. I think this is relevant to many who are posting in these forums. To control your emotions and get over it to be more successful within the community!

Re: Self Motivation Skills I think this thread is the wrong way round. You don't exercise and work hard to motivate yourself. You motivate yourself to exercise and work hard. That in turn makes you feel good about yourself. If I were to take Head Coach's question at face value (you'll confuse your team with that pep talk, Head Coach), I'd say what motivates me are: 1. Self respect- Every professional fears cutting a sorry figure. You work hard, study hard and keep yourself well informed to avoid embarassments. 2. Fear of poverty- You always worry that if you don't give off your best, you'll join the ranks of the disenfranchised, the penniless. It's a fate almost as bad as death. 3. Vanity- I like being slim and fit and I'd like stay that way. Hence I exercise hard and eat wisely. 4. Love- The greatest failure for a parent would be to fail his child as a father- financially not being able to provide for his needs. The thought is totally repugnant. 5. Greed- I want more out of life. I want to be richer, better looking, more successful. Therefore I must work for it. 6. The vague far away feeling of craving for that utopia of being completely and utterly happy- Funnily enough, in the years gone by, when I listened to certain songs such as "Dheere dheere pyar ko badana hain, hadd se guzar jaana hai", it made me feel that perfect happiness was just round the corner, and the only way I could get there was by working as hard as I humanly could. Sadly, music doesn't evoke the same feeling anymore, and as a result I have become disgustingly sloth. However, I'd like to recapture that vague feeling of unfulfilment and the notion that economic and emotional Nirvana just lies round the corner, and can be reached through putting in the hard yards...

Re: Self Motivation Skills On the contrary Dhondy, what head-coach lists out is a set of guidelines, and people prefer a set of guidelines to follow to see if it makes a difference than a set of abstract concepts (the concepts you mention do come into play by the way while doing an item on the list.. since I believe it's cyclical) Going back to the OP: Nice list

Re: Self Motivation Skills Dhondy thanks for the post and varun thanks for the clarification. I thought Dhondy adds some interesting twist here: I believe Self respect is a by product of positive self regard. And to acheive this you have to motivated. Poverty of motivation - Dhondy I would think this feeling would easily arise for people like us who are poverty conscious because we have seen people stricken by poverty in India. There is an argument that large measure of poverty is due to lack of sufficient effort and motivation. I guess this is true to some extend especially in developed countries. Agree with you that you have to be motivated to do exercise regularly but on the other side if you exercise it can get rid of your boredom and in turn help you with your health and also motivate you on acheiving your higher goals. Love for your children and family should be a part of your character. I dont see it as a motivating factor. Well personally I think Greed and lust are wild pleasures which you do not need to carry in your purse(in your life). Even though I hate to say that sometimes you are driven by greed to achieve more in life. Good thoughts!

Re: Self Motivation Skills this is something I've thought about -- and everything that hc and dhondy mention have seemed to work for me at some point. but the only consistent method of getting myself out of a funk, or getting on a task that I'm avoiding is to try and figure out why it's happening. like if I'm avoiding doing something -- why? because i don't like doing it...why? because the task is, say, ill-defined...well, define it, write down steps etc. now do you want to do it? this dialogue isn't necessarily harsh -- it's more empathetic. i dunno, it works for me, generally.

Re: Self Motivation Skills

this is something I've thought about -- and everything that hc and dhondy mention have seemed to work for me at some point. but the only consistent method of getting myself out of a funk, or getting on a task that I'm avoiding is to try and figure out why it's happening. like if I'm avoiding doing something -- why? because i don't like doing it...why? because the task is, say, ill-defined...well, define it, write down steps etc. now do you want to do it? this dialogue isn't necessarily harsh -- it's more empathetic. i dunno, it works for me, generally.
vroomfondel, thats quite interesting to learn. Well I suppose getting into that conversation to figure out what is causing in you will be a tough one. But hey it works for you and its all that matters!

like if I'm avoiding doing something -- why? because i don't like doing it...why? because the task is, say, ill-defined...well, define it, write down steps etc. now do you want to do it?
yeah that's a useful one for me too. I end up writing a small little to-do list with baby steps to obtain the final goal. It's a nice feeling to check-mark the items done in the list :wtg:

Re: Self Motivation Skills Now to that list I would like to throw this one "PLAY A SPORT" Playing a sport is a great way of switching off from the mundane. It teaches how to come to grips with ups and downs, sweetness of success, bitterness of failures, helps build competitiveness, helps you build camaraderie, you could do the impossible and prove to yourself you are far more capable than you think you are, physical and mental benefits are immense and helps build good attitude among all age groups.

Re: Self Motivation Skills hah, with the amount of money you make you should be hiring people to do your taxes. well, why don't you want to do your taxes? maybe because you have something better to do with your time. ok. find a time when you're not doing something useful -- perhaps at work -- and fill out your tax forms then. perhaps the laissez-fair fiscal conservative in you hates the concept of forking over half your pay to unkil. ok. move to the bahamas, or some similar libertarian locale (you might have to sleep with a couple of immigration officials, but no worries, it's been done before). Or, you could get over it -- which answers a lot of questions i ask myself. :hic:

Well this is a rather strange topic to discuss in a sports related website but when you think about it, we realize that it does matter whether it be sports or any other kind of work you do. You have to be self motivated to achieve the results you desire and ofcourse you have to work hard until you get it. But isnt there moments in life when we think "I'm bored." or "I can't stay focused." There has to be a way of self motivating us to get away from this feeling. Here are few:
  • Be Grateful - There is so much to be grateful for. Take some time each day to think about the things that are good in your life. Laugh As Much As You Can - Laughter is the best medicine. So, if you know a good joke, tell it to your friends and family. Exercise - By doing regular exercise you change your physiology, you change your body chemicals, which will make you feel different, so you start focusing on different things. Leave The News For What It Is - Let go of that urge. News is stressful. Over 99% of it is bad news. Practice Time Management - Time management is basically a list of rules. And the rules of it can help us to waste less time. Work Hard - Working hard creates enormous personal satisfaction. When you have finished certain tasks you will feel that you are capable to accomplish things. Learn New Things - Try to learn something new each day. Express Your Feelings - Learn to show affection and warmth to the people around you and in that let go of your fears. Remember that fear is our worst advisor and it?s bad for our health. Find Spiritual Connections - By being in touch with spirituality on a regular basis you would foster deep inner peace. Help Other People - Each individual feels energized, good and warm about himself after helping another person. The more positive energy you put out into the world, the more you will receive in return. [/list:u:e2acbfaf78] Please add or modify or discuss more on this....Maybe adding your comments or thoughts on this website is one way of self motivating too :chin:
My addition - Start your own business!

hah, with the amount of money you make you should be hiring people to do your taxes. well, why don't you want to do your taxes? maybe because you have something better to do with your time. ok. find a time when you're not doing something useful -- perhaps at work -- and fill out your tax forms then. perhaps the laissez-fair fiscal conservative in you hates the concept of forking over half your pay to unkil. ok. move to the bahamas, or some similar libertarian locale (you might have to sleep with a couple of immigration officials, but no worries, it's been done before). Or, you could get over it -- which answers a lot of questions i ask myself. :hic:
Doing taxes at work? One way to make sure I won't need to file taxes next year. :lmao: