Rajiv

Watched any new movies? *Please use spoiler tags*

Just now, zen said:

Do you watch classics or mainly newer films?

Only newer films. Usually fan of dark gritty dramas or suspense thrillers. Seen most in that genre but only Indian or Hollywood. Few south Korean here and there. Recently saw the invisible guest guess remade in Hindi as Badla (didn’t see the Hindi version) but you get the kind I am talking about.

Any foreign films in that genre are appreciated

5 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

@maniac

Watch Vijay sethupathi/ madhavan starrer "Vikram Vedha". Great film.

Only actor/ actress I knew or recognized in this super deluxe movie was Ramya Krishna and Samantha. But if these guys are all new than fantastic job giving a break to talented new comers.

Edited by maniac

17 minutes ago, maniac said:

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

Only newer films. Usually fan of dark gritty dramas or suspense thrillers. Seen most in that genre but only Indian or Hollywood. Few south Korean here and there. Recently saw the invisible guest guess remade in Hindi as Badla (didn’t see the Hindi version) but you get the kind I am talking about.

Try the following:

Relatively older:

Edited by zen

5 hours ago, maniac said:

Saw Tamil movie Super Deluxe on Netflix. Whatta movie :hatsoff:

guys like @Pollack who probably form opinions watching setmax dubbed South Indian movies need to watch movies like this.

The apparently new age Bollywood filmmakers like Anurag Kashyap cite a lot of these filmmakers as inspiration and most of these South makers and Anurag Kashyap are inspired by Tamil filmmakers like Bala

And @Ankit_sharma03 if you think Zero was a great movie than you haven’t seen these kind of movies yet. 

Btw I am not a tamilian neither am I producer of this movie :laugh: I watched it myself on Netflix with subtitles but sure I can understand Tamil. However fantastic movie

also tagging @vvvslaxman @velu @The Dark Horse @Stan AF

Great movie .. :two_thumbs_up:

liked the whole movie except that preacher character ( annoying ) and alien part   

Was rooting for the police SI  to do Samantha though :giggle:

That character is really cool 

6 hours ago, velu said:

liked the whole movie except that preacher character ( annoying ) and alien part   

Yeah didn’t get the alien part too. Preacher well it added to the story and the whole debate about that if god exists or not.

Would recommend Ratchasan. Not as layered as Super Deluxe but very close to the great Korean movies. The way director builds and holds suspense is terrific except the cliched last 20 minutes.

20 hours ago, maniac said:

guys like @Pollack who probably form opinions watching setmax dubbed South Indian movies need to watch movies like this.

The apparently new age Bollywood filmmakers like Anurag Kashyap cite a lot of these filmmakers as inspiration and most of these South makers and Anurag Kashyap are inspired by Tamil filmmakers like Bala

And @Ankit_sharma03 if you think Zero was a great movie than you haven’t seen these kind of movies yet. 

Btw I am not a tamilian neither am I producer of this movie :laugh: I watched it myself on Netflix with subtitles but sure I can understand Tamil. However fantastic movie

also tagging @vvvslaxman @velu @The Dark Horse @Stan AF

It's on my watchlist. Is it similar to Pulp Fiction in tone or structure?

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

It's on my watchlist. Is it similar to Pulp Fiction in tone or structure?

It’s kind of like that. Multi layered story but not exactly a gangster flick. Will leave you thinking after you watch it.  

On 7/3/2019 at 5:46 PM, Scarface said:
On 7/2/2019 at 9:56 PM, maniac said:

Would recommend Ratchasan. Not as layered as Super Deluxe but very close to the great Korean movies. The way director builds and holds suspense is terrific except the cliched last 20 minutes.

I couldn’t find it on Netflix or Amazon. Heard good things about it too

On 7/3/2019 at 2:56 AM, maniac said:

Recommend watching Gomorrah (Italian TV series on Naples Mafia). Season 4 just finished. Its exceptional in places and full of darkness and suspense.

The French series of Braquo (cops who push boundaries bit like The Shield) and Spiral (crime and role of police/justice system) are also highly recommended.  

On 7/4/2019 at 7:13 PM, The Realist said:

Recommend watching Gomorrah (Italian TV series on Naples Mafia). Season 4 just finished. Its exceptional in places and full of darkness and suspense.

The French series of Braquo (cops who push boundaries bit like The Shield) and Spiral (crime and role of police/justice system) are also highly recommended.   

Haven't seem Gomorrah, but I saw an Italian movie by the same name several years back. I wonder if there's any connection. Spiral is amazing, Braquo is very good. Personally, I like Babylon Berlin even more than Spiral but it's less about crime/murder investigations since it tried to portray different groups living in Berlin in the 1920s.

On 7/2/2019 at 10:12 PM, zen said:

Try the following:

Relatively older:

some good movies here, especially handmaiden (chan-wook is a great director).

20 hours ago, Vijy said:

Haven't seem Gomorrah, but I saw an Italian movie by the same name several years back. I wonder if there's any connection. Spiral is amazing, Braquo is very good. Personally, I like Babylon Berlin even more than Spiral but it's less about crime/murder investigations since it tried to portray different groups living in Berlin in the 1920s.

The film and TV series are based on a book written by an Italian journalist. I thought the film was too ponderous. The TV series is much better as has time to set the scene, characters and plot. 

17 hours ago, The Realist said:

The film and TV series are based on a book written by an Italian journalist. I thought the film was too ponderous. The TV series is much better as has time to set the scene, characters and plot. 

yes, the film is slow-paced, even sluggish, at times.

17 hours ago, The Realist said:

yes, the film is slow-paced, even sluggish, at times.

On 7/3/2019 at 1:17 PM, velu said:

The SI character was too cool...

On 7/3/2019 at 7:18 AM, maniac said:

Damn u n ur presumption.......how free are u in ur life that u decide to think for others. I saw super deluxe when it release in theatre only . I absolutely loved that film. 

On 7/3/2019 at 7:18 AM, maniac said:

Oh Btw do u knw Anurag kashyap whose name ur using also liked Zero 

Now ill share a review from India's best critic Rangan bhardwaj who also liked Zero (if u doubt his credentials god help u)

https://www.filmcompanion.in/zero-review-baradwaj-rangan-this-very-literal-flight-of-fancy-is-the-years-most-audacious-love-story/

Now if u dont like something its ok no need to poke someone else n act oversmart. U dnt even have the idea the kind of movies i watch 

Tarantino's Once Upon a time in Hollywood. The movie is an acquired taste. Not many who watch regular movies will like it. There's basically no "point" to it and there isnt any specific plot other than 3 people going about their lives. Its basically a character study of a washed up actor(Decaprio), his stuntman(Brad Pitt) and Sharon Tate's character(Margot Robbie) set in 1969 LA over the course of 2 days. Brad Pitt and DeCaprio are very good and have such amazing screen presence that you can basically watch them walk around and play their characters and you would still find it interesting. Overall, disappointing if you are expecting something as good as Inglourious Basterds or Django Unchained.

Edited by kubrickian

29 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

Tarantino's Once Upon a time in Hollywood. The movie is an acquired taste. Not many who watch regular movies will like it. There's basically no "point" to it and there isnt any specific plot other than 3 people going about their lives. Its basically a character study of a washed up actor(Decaprio), his stuntman(Brad Pitt) and Sharon Tate's character(Margot Robbie) set in 1969 LA over the course of 2 days. Brad Pitt and DeCaprio are very good and have such amazing screen presence that you can basically watch them walk around and play their characters and you would still find it interesting. Overall, disappointing if you are expecting something as good as Inglourious Basterds or Django Unchained.

was disappointed with django unchained as well :(( 

4 hours ago, Switchblade said:

Batla house is one time watch John Abraham was good but the movie was 

too much dramatized.

John Abraham has improved leaps and bounds as an actor. He has survived in this industry just like Shahid Kapoor has even after delivering countless flops. Kudo to both.

9 hours ago, kubrickian said:

I agree - it is not really on par with django and basterds. with that being said, I don't think I liked either of these movies as much as pulp fiction and reservoir dogs

9 hours ago, WC2011INDIA said:

John Abraham has improved leaps and bounds as an actor. He has survived in this industry just like Shahid Kapoor has even after delivering countless flops. Kudo to both.

Don't think john has given countless flops. He delivering decent workinv business movies in last few years. Not big hits but most of them recover their budgets. Even his last film satyamev jayate did 100 cr.

Edited by rkt.india

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Don't think john has given countless flops. He delivering decent workinv business movies in last few years. Not big hits but most of them recover their budgets. Even his last film satyamev jayate did 100 cr.

No it didn't. 80+ crore. His highest solo movie. 1-2 100+ crore multistarrers

12 hours ago, WC2011INDIA said:

His acting skills is still same.....obv with time u get a lil better . He himself is a producer so surviving today isnt that tough and he has had hits in between. Satyamev jaayte was a hit....parmanu did well , dishoom did decent buss

shahid kapoor is a good actor......a good actor always needs 1 film that can change every thing and kabir singh has done that for him

8 hours ago, Vijy said:

I agree - it is not really on par with django and basterds. with that being said, I don't think I liked either of these movies as much as pulp fiction and reservoir dogs

Of course, Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are great movies. I loved Jackie Brown,Kill Bill and Hateful Eight as well. Tarantino rarely makes bad movies. There's something worth watching even in a misfire like Death Proof. 

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

His acting skills is still same.....obv with time u get a lil better . He himself is a producer so surviving today isnt that tough and he has had hits in between. Satyamev jaayte was a hit....parmanu did well , dishoom did decent buss

shahid kapoor is a good actor......a good actor always needs 1 film that can change every thing and kabir singh has done that for him

Udta Punjab and Haider did well too for Shahid

Once upon a time in hollywood

I disagree with the acquired taste part. Its based on historical events. He has blended fiction and the history very well. Not much more in terms of storytelling which can be said. Some nice laughs along in the ride.

Spoilers

The point was of probabilities between life n death. Leos character chose to piss off the manson family cult members which meant they did not goto the intented targets in Polanski's house. Hence robbie Margot chatacter got saved. In real life the 4 were unlucky to be living there as Charles mansons target was the previous owner. This just shows random events can make or alter history.

There are also hidden winners n losers in this random probability or fate. Leo char was an actor in his heyday. But as a result of that incident might have a second career due to being introduced to director roman polansky. It might mean he can live down missing out on a lead part in the great escape, something which would have given him legendary status. 

Leo advising brad Pitt char to never rent in the hills and buy property in hollywood hills is also good advise. As being so close to the movers n shakers of hollywood opens doors.

End spoiler

On 8/17/2019 at 1:27 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Does he even get roles where he isn't the producer?

Joker ..

dark and sad from the beginning to end of the movie .. expected movie to have little more fun/dark humor considering how joker was portrayed in batman movies

one time watchable and comparing it to taxi driver is way OTT ..  psychos might love this movie :p: ..

On 10/5/2019 at 12:37 AM, velu said:

Joker ..

dark and sad from the beginning to end of the movie .. expected movie to have little more fun/dark humor considering how joker was portrayed in batman movies

one time watchable and comparing it to taxi driver is way OTT ..  psychos might love this movie :p: ..

I hated it. I hate this genre.  :(( 

And this was the single most depressing movie in this anyways depressing genre.

I don't think there was one happy moment in the movie.

Edited by Mariyam

22 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I hated it. I hate this genre.  :(( 

And this was the single most depressing movie in this anyways depressing genre.

I don't think there was one happy moment in the movie.

You mean romantic Bollywood moment :giggle: