Evil western drug corporations.

CC1981

Re: Evil western drug corporations.

Thanks to this Pharma Lobby ' date=' the republican senate made it illegal for us to buy cheap drugs from Canada. Why should I pay 2 dollar for Nexium (Purple Pill) which I can get for 1/5 th price from canada and the quality is more or less same.[/quote'] canada doesn't want to subsidize the US either.

canada doesn't want to subsidize the US either.
????? I know for a fact that this chutiyagiri from the US, along with the BC lumberwood chutiyagiri has soured the opinion of many canadians towards the US.

canada doesn't want to subsidize the US either.
????? I know for a fact that this chutiyagiri from the US, along with the BC lumberwood chutiyagiri has soured the opinion of many canadians towards the US.
canadian govt. isn't happy that these cheap drugs from canada are making their way to US is what i have read. i am guessing from this that the candian govt is helping to keep these prices down and they don't want to do that for US consumers.

canadian govt. isn't happy that these cheap drugs from canada are making their way to US is what i have read.
Oh okay. Yeah you read correctly but most Canadians are sick and disgusted at the Canadian government's spineless behaviour towards the US and it continuously selling out the people's best interests to corporations, especially corporations from down the border. Mulrooney was the worst of the lot - he literally sold out Canada to the States, packed up and moved to the states ! This is why Trudeau is still so popular in Canada - the last Canadian primier who had the balls to tell the US to fack off and stick to it.

Thanks to this Pharma Lobby ' date=' the republican senate made it illegal for us to buy cheap drugs from Canada. Why should I pay 2 dollar for Nexium (Purple Pill) which I can get for 1/5 th price from canada and the quality is more or less same.[/quote'] canada doesn't want to subsidize the US either.
That could be true. But one of the other problems FDA cited was the source of Candian drugs are sometimes from countries like India and they can't give approval to these drugs for import as these do not meet US quality requirements

Candian drugs are sometimes from countries like India and they can't give approval to these drugs for import as these do not meet US quality requirements
Yeah thats what they claim but its utter bullshit. If a drug can pass Canada's tougher drug quality laws, it can cakewalk into the US. That excuse is just a double-talk from the yankee government to protect its evil pharmacutical cartels for them to make more money. The US government has always been about corporations first, common public second.

Candian drugs are sometimes from countries like India and they can't give approval to these drugs for import as these do not meet US quality requirements
Yeah thats what they claim but its utter bullshit. If a drug can pass Canada's tougher drug quality laws, it can cakewalk into the US. That excuse is just a double-talk from the yankee government to protect its evil pharmacutical cartels for them to make more money. The US government has always been about corporations first, common public second.
You are right. But when it comes to health care both parties in US suck. We have the Pharma and Insurance companies lobbying with Republicans and on the other hand , the trial lawyer lobby which plays ball with the Democrats. The end result is consumer , which is the working class that suffers.

Let me play the devils advocate in this discussion ... So KR from where do you think the Pharma companies should recoup the Billions of $$ that they invest in the R&D for cutting edge drugs that they spit out consistently ? Lets face it the US Pharma companies are waaaaayy ahead when it comes to finding new drugs and there is unfortunately very little competition (atleast so far) in making indegenious drugs from the rest of the world ... (Never mind the 3rd world)
I knew you'd stand up for your maalik despite the havoc this would wreak on India. The drug industry should be a non-profit or marginal profit industry in the first place. I don't care about their billions when making billions mean people will die because of lack of drugs. And Indian pharmacutical community is a shining example on how one can come up with new drugs ( there are several new stroke medications recently developed in India that are of high quality) without needing billions. In anycase, this is a cover from the pharmacutical community in the west because they intentionally mark up the price of necessary life-saving drugs to include the cost of developing secondary consmetic drugs and stupid anti-aeging crap for its old fart white man population. This is why the cost of western drugs are several times higher than non-western drugs DESPITE compensating for the value-of-money and exchange rate factors. You cannot justify a 1000 times price tag simply based on 'oh its cheaper to produce stuff there than here' nonsense. Ie, that AIDS drug doesnt just include the price of developing AIDS drugs. It includes the price of developing anti-cellullite and other various crap that has a very small market (amongst rich people) as well!

I knew you'd stand up for your maalik despite the havoc this would wreak on India
CC .... I am not talking to you ... I dont like talking to adolocent teenagers who go on ego trips and then threaten/abuse to prop up their fragile ego's .... and get their way. Not interested.
Pffft. Sacch karvi lagee ? Btw, thanks for calling me a teen -its been too long since someone called me a teen or did an ID check for booze/cigs. :hmph:

Let me play the devils advocate in this discussion ... So KR from where do you think the Pharma companies should recoup the Billions of $$ that they invest in the R&D for cutting edge drugs that they spit out consistently ? Lets face it the US Pharma companies are waaaaayy ahead when it comes to finding new drugs and there is unfortunately very little competition (atleast so far) in making indegenious drugs from the rest of the world ... (Never mind the 3rd world)
Bheem , that's the spin that Pharma companies would like you to believe. I have worked for Novartis . I have no problem if the price margin has a buffer of 2 times the drug cost for R& D cost. But the problem is these guys charge 5 times the drug cost in the name of R&D and profits. The funny thing is america is supposed to be a free market very much into Global market. If republicans have no problem in outsourcing for cheap labour in the name of Gobal economy and enterprise competitiveness , then why should they prevent the consumer from buying cheap drugs from abroad ? After all , I can buy generic durg which sells cheaper minus the R& D cost.

Re: Evil western drug corporations. Don't forget the other cheating those drug companies do. They often release drugs without thorough testing. I've seen comments from senior ex employees saying how they celebrated about 400M fine in similar case where they already made couple of billion dollars worth of profits.

Re: Evil western drug corporations. I still feel that in a free market economy why prevent somebody from buying from a source which sells cheaper. In essence , destroys the purpose of free market economy and limits pricing competitiveness. You are correct in that US will allow Non-US pharma companies within the US without pricing regulations.

while it is known that the US consumer literally sponsors the extreemly poor nations ... via such trade.
ROTFL! Couldn't be further from the truth.
and without violating patent laws and other legalities ...
The cheap drug manufacturers are NOT violating any patent law in India,who's patent laws make a lot more sense than western patent laws. Secondly, this is a critical industry, not a luxury goods industry like TVs and whatnot. Level playing field, making money, etc. are all irrelevant when faced with saving lives and curing deseases.

And Indian pharmacutical community is a shining example on how one can come up with new drugs ( there are several new stroke medications recently developed in India that are of high quality) without needing billions.
Hardly. An example shall suffice. Whats the price of sugar in India? My guess is about 20 Rs per kg. What is the price of Glucose? A cool 20 bucks for 100 grams. (A difference of 10 times for 1 kg). Why do I give the example of Glucose? Because a) It is derived from sugar b)More life would be saved in India if Glucose(and other electrolytes) would be cheaper for poor people - specially during hot summers and spread of some epidemic(particularly water borne diseases). Now compare this in the West. Do you have the 10 time difference between a pound of sugar and a pound of Gatorade powder? Look that up the next time you are at Wal-Mart. I am not beating down Indian drug companies. Not at all. I am merely saying Indian pharma are no different from Western companies. xxxx

I still feel that in a free market economy why prevent somebody from buying from a source which sells cheaper
Naaah thats not what free trade is all about ... its about businesses being able to operate in FTO nations as long as those businesses have products that are developed in a level playing field .... and without violating patent laws and other legalities ...
Who defines the patent law. The FDA is in the pocket books of these large pharma companies. They spend millions of dollars lobbying with republicans to twist the arm of FDA and for favourable drug laws. Same with democrats . Why do you think the medical liability cap law is still not in effect , Because the trial lawyers will lose billions of dollars if this law gets passed because medical liability will have a cap of only half a million. So what happens now . The drug company will increase the price of drugs to cover their liabities which they incured and the end result is , we the onsumer have to bear the brunt.
It's already happening . How do you think WALMART become the world's largest companies. 90 % of the product you buy are MADE IN CHINA. That's how they keep the price down. If Walmart is allowed to import a cheap toy costing few cents which they sell for a dollar, then why shouldn't it be allowed to import drugs from China or India?

Guest dada_rocks

This -click me- really pisses me off. Profit over the lives of people. Die Novartis ! die P&G ! die die die ! We should be supporting India's stance on this against the west or millions of people will be left without medicine and die.
yes this pisses me off too...we agree on sthg

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Evil western drug corporations. r&D cost is not that high heck they hardly pay researcher any money ...field hardly matters, researcher means low paid exploited highly educated individual, god knows where they spend those socalled billions