Why Cant We Get The Basics Right?

Birbal2

The cricket team may have superlative batsmen and great bowlers...but often it looks like it cant get the basics right..i.e. running between the wickets, throwing flat and hard from outfield, backing up those thorws, etc.. Similarly as a nation, we may have superlative scientists and can send sattelites into space on rockets...but we can't get basics like rudimentary sanitation, clean drinking water, decent roads, etc. right... Is the root of the problem the same in both cases? I think so. It is the overemphasis on the individual and underimportance of team or community... what do you guys think?

Re: Why Cant We Get The Basics Right?

Is the root of the problem the same in both cases?
Yes it is. But I differ from you in what exactly is the root problem. Now let me first say that there are no easy and quick answers otherwise we would have solved this matter long back. One possible reason(amongst others) is: Lack of taking responsibility: I think this is a key for Indians in general. Most of us are too easy going walking through life, beleiving in the Hindu concept of "sanyog" (chance). What you see in cricket field is players not doing basics - things like keeping themselves fit and in shape, run briskly between wickets and in the grounds, bowlers coming close to the wicket to receive the throw and so on. You can have a coach drill this in your head for entire life and you wont get it. Unless you raise your hands and do it yourself. I mean these are millionair cricketers, what does it take to understand them the points of being fit in today's cricket? Now use the same analogy with Indians. Most Indians are unfit people(generally speaking of course). It doesnt matter if you are earning 7 figure salary and has a mansion in Bangalore. There is a good chance that you shall be sporting a nice tummy and have legs thinner than cucumber. Growing up I saw morning walk(people getting early and going for a walk) being related to elderly who had to do this after Doctors told them to. Health is a very personal thing. Unless one realizes himself there is no way it can drilled into him. And generally speaking Indians refuse to lift their hands up and take responsibility for their own health.

Re: Why Cant We Get The Basics Right? Two things that I have seen not upto the mark in Indians are work ethics and need for delivering quality. work ethics meaning being professional, diligent and caring about your work and the people you work with. Communicating and corresponding professionally when things dont go well, Completing your work on time, not wasting the time of your colleagues, Providing help to your peers when they need it, and also a Character charged with a positive attitude. Need for delivering quality - It doesnt matter how best you are unless you provide quality. We got to give importance in providing quality service whether it be at work or in sports. As it is said "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.? Somebody else told that quality is ding it right when no one else is looking! Not all Indians have ignored this, many have learnt this and are successful in Silicon Valley and else where making the Indians proud. We just have to make this a normal things in life to make a change!

Re: Why Cant We Get The Basics Right? there are some very powerful preachers/leaders...likes of "Sai Baba", sri sri Ravi shankar, Sadhu Vaswani, Moraribapu, Asharam Bapu... If these Gurus/leaders can incorporate importance of basic sanitation and tell ppl that its utmost necessary for the prosperity and well being of your family...lot of ppl will take it seriously...

Re: Why Cant We Get The Basics Right? Majorly Corruption in Huge Projects of infrastructure and Development.... World Bank Funds to Govt. Projects Most of the money goes to Politicians Pockets and Contractors Bank Accounts ...and people end up with poor quality or no services